Micro zip lock bags

Blackavalanche

Other buying choices :

Royal Bags - but only if you want a lifetime supply of them. 2x2 or 2x3 (resealable edge on the 2" side) works well.

eBay. Shipping charges may make some offerings unattractive.

Craft store - such as Michaels or Jo-Anns.

You can find thicker bags in the pharmacy section of Walmart or other drugstores. They work well with larger caches, but in a small keyholder is likely to get mangled.

BTW small baggies are a great way of protecting small trade items / signature items, in case you're considering getting a box of 1000 :)

You can find thicker bags in the pharmacy section of Walmart or other drugstores. They work well with larger caches, but in a small keyholder is likely to get mangled.

BTW small baggies are a great way of protecting small trade items / signature items, in case you're considering getting a box of 1000 :)

Those are the ones we use. Have used them in just about all size caches except nano & bison tubes

I get mine from Uline.com. They have several locations and I have one close enough for pickup. A carton of 1000 of the 2X3 size was only $14. After tax it works out to around $1.50 per 100. They come in 100 count baggies inside the carton of 1000. I have no problem getting rid of them at that price. I put all my signature items and swag in them. Keeps everything nice and clean. I just bought a carton of the 3X4 size ($16) for larger trade items. :D

Any reason not to get the 4mil bags? Are they simply too thick?

I am kinda liking this combo package:

http://www.royalbag.com/combo_pack_6_b_4_mil_clear_b_reclosable_bags_contains.asp

The large sizes make this one rather expensive (though you probably don't need to buy any more for the next 10 years, at least). They're certainly useful for logbooks in larger caches, but you can also use Ziploc freezer bags for those. I've always wondered how well the 4 mil 2x3 will work out in smaller caches, but don't want to get 1000 to find out.

Any reason not to get the 4mil bags? Are they simply too thick?

I am kinda liking this combo package:

http://www.royalbag.com/combo_pack_6_b_4_mil_clear_b_reclosable_bags_contains.asp

The large sizes make this one rather expensive (though you probably don't need to buy any more for the next 10 years, at least). They're certainly useful for logbooks in larger caches, but you can also use Ziploc freezer bags for those. I've always wondered how well the 4 mil 2x3 will work out in smaller caches, but don't want to get 1000 to find out.

I was thinking the 8x10 would be the only one of the batch that would not be very useful for caching. I have 4 granddaughters (age 5-13) and I bet I will use em. My worry was the heavy plastic use in smaller caches. I have not hit many caches yet but those I have hit have had the logs in pretty thin bags and invariably damp as a result. Obviously these would be of little use in nano caches but Micro and up? I would love to carry a stack of these in my pack and replace log bags as a courtesy to the CO. Be honest, would 2mil be better or 4mil?

My worry was the heavy plastic use in smaller caches. I have not hit many caches yet but those I have hit have had the logs in pretty thin bags and invariably damp as a result. Obviously these would be of little use in nano caches but Micro and up? I would love to carry a stack of these in my pack and replace log bags as a courtesy to the CO. Be honest, would 2mil be better or 4mil?

I really don't know.

The snarky answer, which I'm surprised no one has posted yet, is that if you need a plastic bag to keep the log dry, that is bad in itself :) The usual retort to that one is that even in an ammo can, it is good to have a plastic bag to keep the log dry - from rain, condensation, or inappropriate trade items that leak. And the discussion generally goes downhill from there :D As you can tell, I probably spend too much time here.

I'm tempted to get a bunch of bags from Royal Bag and see how the 4 mil ones work out. I'll see if I can get them to send me a couple of samples.

I got mine on sale at Hobby Lobby, but probably any craft store or craft section of Walmart/Target/etc will have them.

Hobby Lobby has 2x3 (2mil assumed) bags 300 for $3.99 (0.0133 cents per)

Royal Bag has 2x3 2mil bags 1000 for $6.15 (0.00615 cents per)

Royal Bag is about half the cost of the Hobby Lobby ones.

Here is where it gets interesting...

I put 3 in my cart (closest to 1000) at Hobby Lobby. With shipping, $17.92

At Royal Bag, I guess they have a $10 minimum order and under that there is a charge so with that and shipping $21.14

So, if this was all you ordered, then Hobby Lobby would win. If you loose the minimum order fee, Royal Bag wins. I guess it depends on if you can get past the minimum order or not.

I put 3 in my cart (closest to 1000) at Hobby Lobby. With shipping, $17.92

There is a 40% off one item at Hobby Lobby. Expires 3/31.

http://www.hobbylobby.com/weekly/coupon.cfm

Since it only applies to 1 item, you get a discount of $1.59, for a total shipped order of $16.33.

Coupon is good for in store purchases as well, so if you have a store near you, you can get a really good price for 300 baggies. Closest store for me is 50 miles away, unfortunately (yeah, I know, think of the caches I can get along the way...)