A real bomb and not a geocache

Taken from "The Morning Call" Allentown, PA on March 20, 2012. Except for the fuse, it sounds like some of the cameo jobs I've found on caches. I think this is the first time I've actually read where it's been a bomb and not a geocache.

So which of the definitions of "cameo" really apply to Geocaching (or bombs)??

cameo (n) - Bing Dictionary

cam·e·o [ kámmee  ]

1. carved stone: a semiprecious stone carved to give a raised design in one color against a background of another, especially a pale head against a darker background

2. brief appearance by famous actor: a single brief appearance by a famous actor in a movie or play

Taken from "The Morning Call" Allentown, PA on March 20, 2012. Except for the fuse, it sounds like some of the cameo jobs I've found on caches. I think this is the first time I've actually read where it's been a bomb and not a geocache.

Forks township is a rural "suburb" of Easton. A good 10 miles from Allentown/Bethleham.

We had the same thing happen in one of our parks. It has geocaches in it, including some of mine. So I was concerned they had mistaken ours for the real thing. It turned out to be real pipe bombs. http://claycord.com/2010/07/23/alert-concord-police-sweeping-newhall-park-for-possible-bombs-please-stay-away/

http://claycord.com/2010/07/23/concord-police-continue-to-search-newhall-park-for-more-pipe-bombs/

An officer wanted to talk to me about the caches we have in the park, so when I approached him at the park he asked about Geocaching and wanted to know where the nearest one was(just out of curiousity). I said about 10ft behind him.

Edited by jellis

The story did not state that it was Woodland Camo or anything specific of that nature. It just said "Pipe wrapped in duct tape" Due to them saying the device had shrapnel. I would guess, the Pipe contained the explosive and the shrapnel was taped to the outside of the pipe.

The idiot that hid it should have stayed there and kept puffing on the cigarette until it went off. Very basic mistake.:lol:

Yep !

Now that cigarettes in many States require the crappy "fire safe" paper, it would no longer burn down like "timing devices" in old movies, just extinquish itself in a few minutes.

"I think someone had to do some research to make this kind of device," the Police Chief said.

- No, not really. :rolleyes:

Since it's so close to work, many employees know I frequent this trail (after-work stress break).

Usually only had to worry of others stealing your lunch... :laughing:

Knowschad-Good point! That would have been the best outcome.

DragonsWest-I didn't even think of that. Let's hope so.

StarBrand-Of course it's cameo! The mad bomber made a cameo appearance, and very brief at that, and then left! :D

Coldgears-I never said it was in Allentown. I said it was in the Allentown paper. And it's Bethlehem, not Bethleham.

Jellis-That's really scary to think people are really planting bombs out there. All the posts I read about police blowing up caches; I thought they were overreacting. I guess not.

USMCGecko-that's possible. All though The Morning Call has never been noted for being the most accurate with their stories. From personal experience, if they intervied you and you don't answer their questions the way they want you to, they'll print anything, just to sensualize (sp?) the story.

Hi Cerberus-Ah ha! So, you admit to being near the scene of the crime?!! :laughing: I didn't know that about cigarettes as I'm not a smoker. Not very smart on the bomber's part.

Thanks everyone for your comments. I just wanted to post this to just remind everyone to use caution when out there caching and be safe. Happy geocaching!

The idiot that hid it should have stayed there and kept puffing on the cigarette until it went off. Very basic mistake.:lol:

Yep !

Now that cigarettes in many States require the crappy "fire safe" paper, it would no longer burn down like "timing devices" in old movies, just extinquish itself in a few minutes.

"I think someone had to do some research to make this kind of device," the Police Chief said.

- No, not really. :rolleyes:

Since it's so close to work, many employees know I frequent this trail (after-work stress break).

Usually only had to worry of others stealing your lunch... :laughing:

Obviously who every planted this did not do their research. Or they just watched too many movies that it used to work in.

It looks like they didn't obtain proper permission. It also was not clearly labeled "BOMB" on the side.

How true!! I am tired of having real bombs mistaken as geocaches. Al-Qaeda and other terrorist groups really need to develop some guidelines for bomb placement. They could probably copy GC.com's guidelines and tell everyone to do the opposite. :lol: