Owner deletes my log without a response. What do I do?

jaaake

http://coord.info/GL7NGM41

I've been interested in helping clean up archived caches the owners failed to remove themselves.

I simply logged:

El Fin. Signed log, removed container. Please contact me if you want it, or I'll just re-purpose it. TFTC!

The owner:

Big Dawgg & Cardinal Girl

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=0a598df2-9928-4f9a-ab91-3d0944fe150f&wid=33f51ab8-4cf3-4c51-b9c2-2a1f54a30b6f&ds=2

Deleted my log. I sent him an email asking why, no response so I re-posted the same log.

He deleted it again. I send him an additional message asking for clarification--no response.

I logged it a 3rd time. He deleted it and got it locked.

(Completely my opinion here)

It messes up my list of finds, I like logging archived caches and I really just want people to remove their caches if they archive them. I feel like if I take the time to hunt down archived caches, if I sign the log and offer to return the container I should be allowed to count them as found.

Thoughts? :unsure:

-JAAAKE

You can appeal to headquarters to get the log re-instated, I don't know whether they'll do that for an archived cache or not.

At least you have a container to use. Is it a decent container at least?

Standard Tupperware, but it's cracked, so eh.

Are you sure these caches aren't cross-listed on other caching sites? Just because it has been archived on this site doesn't mean it isn't still active on another.

Something to consider.

It hadn't been logged since 2008.

The container was causing the tree problems though, it had grown around it.

I removed all the contents smashed the container and pulled it out.

Some times life just isn't fair. You can ask the frog to re-instate the log, but is it really worth the effort?

Yep and just a fun game to get my family out of the house.

:)

Good idea--I sent the frog a message.

They've helped me before with a different issue.

$30 a year is a steal for all the work they do for Geocaching.

Thanks for the level headed advise.

-Jaaaaaake

Just to throw in my two cents -- you found it, you get to log it. If they're embarrassed that they left geo-trash out there for over three years, so be it. You've tried working with the cache owner, now it's absolutely time to contact Groundspeak and ask them to reinstate your found it log.

Are you sure these caches aren't cross-listed on other caching sites? Just because it has been archived on this site doesn't mean it isn't still active on another.

I wouldn't pick up anyone's GC.com archived cache just for this reason! We have locals who have caches listed on more than one site.

First off - I don't like using a publicly accessible searchable forum to call out by name another cacher for any behavior. Bad form.

Second - many cachers consider an archived cache to be "closed" for business. I do not know why they archived this one but it may well have been a landowner/permission issue. If so - you compound the problem by visiting the cache or cache area. I would delete logs on any of my caches that were archived for permission issues.

Sure they should have cleaned up the container but it does belong to them entirely and not the community and they may have listed it elsewhere.

Edited by StarBrand

First off - I don't like using a publicly accessible searchable forum to call out by name another cacher for any behavior. Bad form.

Second - many cachers consider an archived cache to be "closed" for business. I do not know why they archived this one but it may well have been a landowner/permission issue. If so - you compound the problem by visiting the cache or cache area. I would delete logs on any of my caches that were archived for permission issues.

Sure they should have cleaned up the container but it does belong to them entirely and not the community and they may have listed it elsewhere.

I would like to know if there's another way to contact said person.

Like if they have a second account?

Deleting peoples logs with no reason or response to emails/messages--bad form..?

The cache is on public hunting/hiking ground.

There is another hidden 200(?) feet from the location, and several in the area.

Inside the container it had some small trade items and a log book that said Geocaching on it--last signed 2008.

My main reason for going after it to remove it was to help the poor tree.

It was in a hole that was growing shut around it.

Deleting peoples logs with no reason or response to emails/messages--bad form..?

Inside the container it had some small trade items and a log book that said Geocaching on it--last signed 2008.

Site email is the best contact info they have. Nobody can force them to reply to an email.

I co-hosted an event with them back in 2007 but have not seen them around for a long time. Looking at their hides - it would appear that almost all of them are now archived. Seems like they served a purpose for a time and are now gone off of this site.

Several them explicitly state that all finds after archive date will be deleted.

Frankly, I've never understood why the system allows a "find" log after the date of archival. I would never try to log such a thing. Seems like logging any random box I find in my travels. Just because it was once a cache on this site does not mean it still is.

Having said all of that - shame on them for not cleaning it up if it is truely abandoned.

Site email is the best contact info they have. Nobody can force them to reply to an email.

I co-hosted an event with them back in 2007 but have not seen them around for a long time. Looking at their hides - it would appear that almost all of them are now archived. Seems like they served a purpose for a time and are now gone off of this site.

Several them explicitly state that all finds after archive date will be deleted.

Frankly, I've never understood why the system allows a "find" log after the date of archival. I would never try to log such a thing. Seems like logging any random box I find in my travels. Just because it was once a cache on this site does not mean it still is.

Having said all of that - shame on them for not cleaning it up if it is truely abandoned.

So I should quit my attempt to find 100 archived caches? :(

Any other reasons other than the area is off limits?

It's easy to tell if the area is still Geocacher friendly by reading the logs & checking maps.

As for having found 100 archived caches I'm counting the ones I find before they are archived as well.

Sounds easier than the find 1 a day for 1000 days..

Because people were logging a very popular mystery cache in Seattle for years after it was archived? The frog, for some strange reason, did not lock the page. :lol:

It's easy to tell if the area is still Geocacher friendly by reading the logs & checking maps.

As for having found 100 archived caches I'm counting the ones I find before they are archived as well.

I would not say that it is easy to see permission issues in past logs.

I have one now archived cache that was found many times over the years with the permission of the owner. He died. The new owner put up no trespassing signs around the area and would not talk to me - I archived it.

Something to consider.

Doesn't matter if it's listed Garmin's or one of the other sites....He left a note for the owner to contact him-the OP-if the CO wanted the container back. Since all the happened was his logs were deleted, and the OP has tried to contact the CO with no response, well then the CO is out of luck if he wants the container back. Seems to me the CO has just decided he don't want anyone to have any fun.

Edited by Keystone
potty language removed

Never mind. StarBrand answered it.

Edited by Totem Clan

Because not everyone gets around to logging their caches the day they find it? I would hate to take a 5 mile hike to find a currently active cache, just to find that when I get home, I can't log it because it was archived between when I found it and when I logged it.

Must agree with Starbrand on this one.

Adding.......

Twice, you suggest that the item was causing problems to the tree. Apparently you believe (by posting it twice) that this was your righteous reasoning for taking it upon yourself to be the 'archival police', citing reasons such as the bolded part of the quote.

You weren't helping the tree.... Indeed, the tree was taking care of the matter itself. It was engaged in protecting itself and sealing an (apparent) injury. You come along and, in essence, re-injure the tree by 'taking care of' what it spent so much energy trying to take care of the situation itself. You misguidedly interjected yourself into a process that has developed over millennia.

Examples of this process are everywhere. Trees growing around fencing, guardrails, bicycles, vehicles, you-name-it are commonplace. The tree was perfectly suited to take care of it without your assistance. You are using that as an excuse to get the smiley.

Personally, I think you are just barkin' up a tree.

Good lord people...

First, I don't see anything wrong with logging archived caches if you actually find them. I've done it a couple of times. If you find a cache, you should log it. The frog seems to think it's alright, because they allow it.

Second, clean up your geo litter. If you do archive a cache, pick it up. Those who don't are contributing to a problem, and in my mind have no right to dictate anything about the trash they left behind if they choose to take down the listing but leave the container in place. You forfeited the container, it's like leaving a sofa on the curb to be taken. Can you tell those who pick it up not to clean it because it USED to be yours? Nope.

On the other hand, it sounds like you're attempting an archived caches challenge. Horrible idea in my mind, and this is the reason why. If you know of an archived cache that's still there, by all means go pick it up and log it. I like the idea of contacting the CO to see if they want their container back, I've done that as well. Searching specifically for archived caches just SO you can log them is bad form IMHO. Are you finding archived caches and leaving them there for others to find or are you cleaning up each one?

I'm beginning to like some of these challenge caches less and less...

Because not everyone gets around to logging their caches the day they find it? I would hate to take a 5 mile hike to find a currently active cache, just to find that when I get home, I can't log it because it was archived between when I found it and when I logged it.

But your log date would still be on or before the archive date and thus would still be allowed. Even if 2 years later you got around to logging it.

But your log date would still be on or before the archive date and thus would still be allowed. Even if 2 years later you got around to logging it.

When it comes to reasons, like physical objects, inability to see does not mean it isn't there, it means a person can't see it.

There are many reasons a geocache gets archived. Reviewers do it for maintenance reasons, geocachers do it for their reason, including geocide. They 'should' get picked up, but they don't. Tha'ts life. Adjust, work with it, do the right things.

http://coord.info/GL7NGM41

I've been interested in helping clean up archived caches the owners failed to remove themselves.

I simply logged:

El Fin. Signed log, removed container. Please contact me if you want it, or I'll just re-purpose it. TFTC!

The owner:

Big Dawgg & Cardinal Girl

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=0a598df2-9928-4f9a-ab91-3d0944fe150f&wid=33f51ab8-4cf3-4c51-b9c2-2a1f54a30b6f&ds=2

Deleted my log. I sent him an email asking why, no response so I re-posted the same log.

He deleted it again. I send him an additional message asking for clarification--no response.

I logged it a 3rd time. He deleted it and got it locked.

It messes up my list of finds, I like logging archived caches and I really just want people to remove their caches if they archive them. I feel like if I take the time to hunt down archived caches, if I sign the log and offer to return the container I should be allowed to count them as found.

-JAAAKE

Searching for archived caches is not a bad thing, but doing things outside the 'usual' will get non-typical responses. When seeking archived caches you will find some are locked, some geocachers will delete your finds, and when you talk about it you should exopect that certain people will find fault with it. Removing 'litter' is a good thing when it is actually litter. And when it is the right thing, you will not allways get a 'thank you' or other pat on the back.

Edited by Moose Mob

-JAAAKE

Logging an archived cache is considered bad form. Not all archived caches are abandoned. You stumbled upon a listing with an active cache owner. I'd respect the wishes of the cache owner.

If you are going to continue on your quest/challenge/whatever of finding and cleaning up archived caches I suggest that you email the cache owner before you attempt cleaning up the cache. Then only do so for caches that you get a positive response from the cache owner.

When a cache owner archives a cache he is indicating that he does not want the cache looked for. Under normal circumstances looking for an archived cache is considered very bad form. I took a look at some of the archive logs from caches that the cache owner in question has archived. It is clear that he asks permission from land owners and he has archive caches at the land owner request, usually because geocachers were misbehaving in and/or abusing the area. If this cache owner allows your found after archive log to stand this will encourage other geocachers to attempt to find his other caches that he has archived. Something that I am sure he doesn't want.

It takes a little time and skill to determine whether a cache is just archived or truly abandoned but one indicator of an abandoned cache is that a reviewer instead of the cache owner was the one to make the archive log, aka a forced archive.

I like the guy who's attacking my 'self righteous' quest. :huh:

I don't care about the smiley as much, just thought I was helping.

This all started about 6 months ago when I went to find a cache and found one not 20 feet from the new one that had been archived.

The new and old cache owners were both grateful for me helping them remove the old.

The owner of the old loved getting the log book back, and the lost tracking items got put back into circulation.

Turns out someone had 'hid in slightly tougher place'. (another subject altogether)

I think the answer is:

Tough luck. If the owner deletes your log and won't respond just let it go.

Thanks for the comments! I'm still trying to learn how to be a better cacher.

If you're in near York, NE, USA I'd like to meet you.

-Jaaake

Moose Mob,

I am a bit confused here. You seem to be indicating that archived does not equal "closed for business" on this site. If it doesn't - exactly what does it mean?? Seeking archived listings with the expectation of logging them makes little or no sense to me.

...as I said in an earlier post - shame on any cacher that truly abandons a cache after archiving it.

I would disagree that logging an archived cache, in itself, is bad form. If you found it, then why not log it? A few in the forums will find fault with it (as with anything that doesn't fit some preconcieved notion), but it not bad form.

So... exactly what does it mean for a cache to be archived? In it's purest sense, an archiving a cache listing means is not available for search results. The only way it can be viewed is by direct link/view. Not much more than that. It does not mean the cache container was removed. It doesn't mean you can't find it.

It 'might' mean that the cache owner decided to stop maintaining it. But not always.

It 'might' mean that someone put it in a 'better spot'. But not always.

It 'might' mean it was removed by property managers. But not always.

It 'might' mean it is no longer in place. But not always.

The only rule for geocaching has been "find the cache, sign the logbook, share your experience online". There are no qualifiers as to archived or enabled. There are guideleines to cover the details, and guidelines have flexibility (even if it's minimal).

-JAAAKE

Logging an archived cache is considered bad form. Not all archived caches are abandoned. You stumbled upon a listing with an active cache owner. I'd respect the wishes of the cache owner.

If you are going to continue on your quest/challenge/whatever of finding and cleaning up archived caches I suggest that you email the cache owner before you attempt cleaning up the cache. Then only do so for caches that you get a positive response from the cache owner.

When a cache owner archives a cache he is indicating that he does not want the cache looked for. Under normal circumstances looking for an archived cache is considered very bad form. I took a look at some of the archive logs from caches that the cache owner in question has archived. It is clear that he asks permission from land owners and he has archive caches at the land owner request, usually because geocachers were misbehaving in and/or abusing the area. If this cache owner allows your found after archive log to stand this will encourage other geocachers to attempt to find his other caches that he has archived. Something that I am sure he doesn't want.

It takes a little time and skill to determine whether a cache is just archived or truly abandoned but one indicator of an abandoned cache is that a reviewer instead of the cache owner was the one to make the archive log, aka a forced archive.

I completely and wholeheartedly disagree. The bad form is a CO who archives a cache and then leaves it there. There's no bad form, at least IMHO, with logging archived caches. If you don't want it logged, pick it up. Simple.

Soon after I started geocaching I was out driving and saw a geocache icon on the gps. I had no idea anything about the cache (cheap, or how/when it got put on my unit, but I navigated to it nevertheless. I found the cache and signed the log. It wasn't until I got home to log the find that I discovered the cache had been archived!

Why shouldn't I claim a find on it? I found it and signed the log. I can't imagine why anyone would think that's bad form.

I would disagree that logging an archived cache, in itself, is bad form. If you found it, then why not log it? A few in the forums will find fault with it (as with anything that doesn't fit some preconcieved notion), but it not bad form.

So... exactly what does it mean for a cache to be archived? In it's purest sense, an archiving a cache listing means is not available for search results. The only way it can be viewed is by direct link/view. Not much more than that. It does not mean the cache container was removed. It doesn't mean you can't find it.

It 'might' mean that the cache owner decided to stop maintaining it. But not always.

The only rule for geocaching has been "find the cache, sign the logbook, share your experience online". There are no qualifiers as to archived or enabled. There are guideleines to cover the details, and guidelines have flexibility (even if it's minimal).

I recently found a cache - was even the FTF (see story at http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=dd16004c-b516-4d1e-872a-aa74954834f6)

Sadly the cache never got published (presumably due to vaction guideline) - I found it, I signed the logbook - it had an offical cache label on it - tell me where I go to log my "find"?? I followed all the rules you cite.

Seems under your statement that anybody could do a throw down type cache (or even 'claim' they found a cache's remains) at an archived location and start logging. When I archive a cache - it is intended to mean "stop". This cache listing is over. Its what I always have understood since you can't delete them.

Maybe its just me though.......guess I was wrong.

Having said that - I still strongly believe that all geotrash needs picked up promptly.

I recently found a cache - was even the FTF (see story at http://www.geocachin...2a-aa74954834f6)

Sadly the cache never got published (presumably due to vaction guideline) - I found it, I signed the logbook - it had an offical cache label on it - tell me where I go to log my "find"?? I followed all the rules you cite.

Seems under your statement that anybody could do a throw down type cache (or even 'claim' they found a cache's remains) at an archived location and start logging. When I archive a cache - it is intended to mean "stop". This cache listing is over. Its what I always have understood since you can't delete them.

Having said that - I still strongly believe that all geotrash needs picked up promptly.

The way I interpret the guidelines, and Moose Mob's statement, is that a cache owner has an obligation to retrieve whatever remains of a cache when that cache is archived. Until the cache owner fulfills that obligation, the cache is fair game for logging by cachers who find it and sign the log.

In the case of a cache that was never published, it was never "officially" a cache to begin with, so I don't see how the situations are at all similar.

--Larry

I recently found a cache - was even the FTF (see story at http://www.geocachin...2a-aa74954834f6)

The way I interpret the guidelines, and Moose Mob's statement, is that a cache owner has an obligation to retrieve whatever remains of a cache when that cache is archived. Until the cache owner fulfills that obligation, the cache is fair game for logging by cachers who find it and sign the log.

In the case of a cache that was never published, it was never "officially" a cache to begin with, so I don't see how the situations are at all similar.

--Larry

And unless I'm mistaken, you can't log a cache that's not been published :blink:

First, I don't see anything wrong with logging archived caches if you actually find them. I've done it a couple of times. If you find a cache, you should log it. The frog seems to think it's alright, because they allow it.

Second, clean up your geo litter. If you do archive a cache, pick it up. Those who don't are contributing to a problem, and in my mind have no right to dictate anything about the trash they left behind if they choose to take down the listing but leave the container in place. You forfeited the container, it's like leaving a sofa on the curb to be taken. Can you tell those who pick it up not to clean it because it USED to be yours? Nope.

On the other hand, it sounds like you're attempting an archived caches challenge. Horrible idea in my mind, and this is the reason why. If you know of an archived cache that's still there, by all means go pick it up and log it. I like the idea of contacting the CO to see if they want their container back, I've done that as well. Searching specifically for archived caches just SO you can log them is bad form IMHO. Are you finding archived caches and leaving them there for others to find or are you cleaning up each one?

Agree on all 3 points.

If I were the OP, I would appeal to Groundspeak and explain the circumstances to get my Found log reinstated.

I think it's perfectly fine to log an archived cache - presuming it has legal access and is not endangering wildlife or archaeology sites. However it's at your own risk. If your log gets deleted then you have to suck it up and accept it.

Some owners actually leave archived caches in place and hide a new one nearby so that the finders can get 2 smileys. Every situation is different.

<snip>

I agree. But they don't always. So I propose we work from reality not what we want to be true. When it's your turn to be king for a day you can implement adequate legislation.

Option 3. I place a cache, it gets published, I archive it a week later and place an additional cache in the same spot it gets published. I archive a week later, place a third container. Then a 4th, then a 5th. We got an awesome power trail with a stack of 30 geocaches all in one place (mind you that 29 are archived).

<snip>

I agree. But they don't always. So I propose we work from reality not what we want to be true. When it's your turn to be king for a day you can implement adequate legislation.

Option 3. I place a cache, it gets published, I archive it a week later and place an additional cache in the same spot it gets published. I archive a week later, place a third container. Then a 4th, then a 5th. We got an awesome power trail with a stack of 30 geocaches all in one place (mind you that 29 are archived).

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, who's going to be the first to run through the new power trail? You know, the one with 100,000 caches all placed 1 foot apart.

Back to the OP.

Finding the archived caches is a pretty cool thing. Removal is a question as there are other sites they may be listed on... my wild guess is that 1 of 10000 will fit into that scenario (if that many) but when it can happen.

Rescueing TB's is really the best thing about what you are doing. Really cool.

As far as 'this' cache that the CO is having fits about... that will happen. Not sure why the person archived 95% of their caches, but they did. Seems they used to be very active in Geocaching until a few years ago.

So... keep rescuing TB's. Those owners will appreciate their little trinkets back in circulation.

I like the guy who's attacking my 'self righteous' quest. :huh:

I don't care about the smiley as much, just thought I was helping.

This all started about 6 months ago when I went to find a cache and found one not 20 feet from the new one that had been archived.

The new and old cache owners were both grateful for me helping them remove the old.

The owner of the old loved getting the log book back, and the lost tracking items got put back into circulation.

Turns out someone had 'hid in slightly tougher place'. (another subject altogether)

I think the answer is:

Tough luck. If the owner deletes your log and won't respond just let it go.

Thanks for the comments! I'm still trying to learn how to be a better cacher.

If you're in near York, NE, USA I'd like to meet you.

-Jaaake

As you can see just because some cache owners are grateful doesn't mean that all cache owners will be grateful. If you are not going to seek permission first then you need to be willing to accept that some cache owners will not be happy with your actions.

As you can see just because some cache owners are grateful doesn't mean that all cache owners will be grateful. If you are not going to seek permission first then you need to be willing to accept that some cache owners will not be happy with your actions.

Just people, coming from a lot of different backgrounds.

I don't expect every cacher I meet to be: in a good mood, friendly, nice or willing to help.

I just hope that I can be.

--What I've gain from this: If someone's searching for archived caches--

1. Check with the owner to see if it's okay.

2. Be extra careful not to trespass on private property.

3. Don't expect a :) even if you do find it and sign the log.

4. Stay away from them they're trouble. (cache and the cacher) :D