eTrex 20 noob and intro post

Lanchingmaa

Welcome me. I've GC a bunch of times with my iPhone and also with a buddy and his devices. I just bought a eTrex 20 so my family and I can go GC. I'm pretty tech smart, so these questions may be more deep. Thanks in advance.

1. Documentation is weak. Into doc says to calibrate compass. Select compass>hit Menu and then calibrate compass. That menu option is not available. Odd.

2. I've read a bunch of user guides and reviews. Main maps screens I see in these reviews have topos and much more detail than mine does. I was out in a bunch of caves in a few state parks and all I saw was flat green pixels. Back home my map is pretty flat and my street is not even there. I tried to add a free map and had some difficulty. Any good primers on why and how to add maps?

3. Review sites talk about adding ms from Garmins site and adding expansions. I registered my device and Garmin site says there are no updates or extras available for my device. Also no maps are available. Really?

4. Without beating me up too badly, how can I get a cache file into my Garmin without signing up for a premium account. I just wanted to test drive before spending $30 (for now).

5. One thing that is really odd to me, plugging in a bunch of waypoints is not simple. Seems I have to create a bunch of "where do you want to go?" routes and then it yells at me because I have no roads nearby so I have to jump through hoops to save a waypoint. Wouldnt it be a bit more obvious to say "create a waypoint" and then just "save?" I just needed to punch in about 10 wp and I had to act like I was take 10 routes...

Thanks. Go easy on me. I loved being out in the woods with my son and wife the other day. This community is pretty rad.

1) play around with all the settings and menus on the unit. It the best way to get a feel for where everything is. The system isn't too complicated so you should be able to figure it out fairly easily.

2) 3) If you want better maps then you will need to download better maps. Check out GSPfileDepot for maps. you could buy Garmin's maps buy why pay for those when there are great free ones available.

4) 5) Make sure you have the Garmin Communicator installed on your PC. Then you can hit the Send to GPS button on the cache pages to load caches into your unit. Alternatively when you do a search for caches in your area you will notice there is a check box next to each cache in the list. Check off the ones you want then click on the Download Waypoints button at the bottom of he page. This allows you to download up to 20 caches per page. It downloads as a .loc file to your PC. Now that its downloaded onto you PC plug your GPSr into the PC and go to My Computer. You will see the GPS listed there as an external drive. Open it up and navigate to the Garmin/GPX folder then drag and drop the .loc files into that folder and you've just loaded a group of caches into your unit.

1) There is no compass on the 20 - so no need to calibrate it.

2)I use the free maps from GPSfiledepot.com - I especially like the ibyscus street maps.

3)Garmin sells very nice Topo and street maps but they cost money - high quality though.

4) To get the most from that unit - you really need to be a premium member - try it out for 3 months for $10.

5)Basic step to creating a waypoint is same on almost all GPS units.

a) "Mark" your current location

B) "Edit" those coordinates to where you want to go

c) Select that point and "goto"

-- or just use the Garmin communicator - or download the listing GPX file to the garmin\gpx folder on the device.

Thanks for the replies. A few things I may have not been clear.

1. It has a compass. Not sure why both are saying it doesnt. There is clear instructions in the manual on how to calibrate it, but my compass is missing that menu option. There is even a profile setting called "Geocahing" and it shows a compass on the map...

2. When I log into Garmin's site it sees my USB connected GPS and when I click "Add Maps/Upgrade maps" it says there are none that are compatible. Where are these maps that I can buy? Currently working on trying to get GPSdepot. May just have to roll with that.

3. "Send to my GPS" does nothing on a MAC using FireFox...

Hi Lanchingmaa

About the compass... I don't have the manual in front of me but I am fairly sure it is for both the Etrex 20, and the 30.

The 20 does indeed have a compass, but it is GPS based - it does not need calibration.

The 30 has a digital compass which does need calibration.

Hope that helps.

Edit: I might be able help with the maps too... download Garmin Basecamp, it's free.

Then get the free maps from GPSFileDepot. Most of them have installer files, so you just run the file like it's a program you're installing.

Not sure how that works on a Mac though.

And you need the Garmin Communicator http://www8.garmin.com/products/communicator/ for using the browser based 'send to gps' features.

Edited by Hasty Javelinas

Did you istall the map properly? Is the map in Basecamp centered on your current location. if not that would be why you don't see the map.

I figured it out. The map I downloaded was 'transparent' and there were no trails located by me... hence the blank-looking map. Oh well, I'm a n00b.

Thanks everyone! Got the compas figured out per your response. I also have a bunch of maps installed now. Thanks so much. This is super cool now. Any insight on the "send to my gps" not working on a Mac using Firefox with the Garmin plugin? Would be nice to actually go paperless. Thanks.