Advice Please for Overnight Stop

Hello fellow cachers.

Planning a road trip to get to the Mega this year. Looking to stop part way enroute for an overnight stay. Looking at around Birmingham area as we will be approaching on the motorway from the south. Any recommendations, or must avoids would be helpful. We are a family of 4, limited budget, need secure parking, B&B with facilities close by for a cooked meal - doubt they will let us get the burner etc out lol. Think that is it. Thanks in advance.

Personally, I've always preferred Marriot hotels when with the kids, especially if sharing a room. The rooms are just a bit bigger, and the breakfasts are fantastic - help yourself to fruit, pastries, cooked breakfast, fresh cooked waffles, etc. The Travelodge hotels we stayed at meant I got no sleep because of traffic noise (and other problems) and the Premier Inns had excellent rooms, but not as good food/service as the Marriots. You do tend to get what you pay for.

Innkeeper's Lodges are usually nice and a few around the Birmingham area. (and they offer an discounted rate for advanced booking at some lodges)

The price normally includes a continental breakfast.

I use LateRooms.com for the majority of my hotel bookings - but you have to read and take notice of the reviews. I have found some real gems - often small places/restaurants that only have a few rooms (but nothing near Birmingham as it is close enough to drive home when working in that area).

Planning a road trip to get to the Mega this year...
Which one? :ph34r:

Probably the official one Mr Paul. The Family that has an unfortunate name did state that they were "Looking at around Birmingham area as we will be approaching on the motorway from the south"

I'll apologise now to save GC stalkers hunting me down.

Edited by JoLuc

We often stay at Holiday Inn Express. They charge per room and all four of us can get in one family room, and an unlimited breakfast is included - that's very handy if your children eat lots like ours. Make sure it's an Express to get the breakfast included.

There's one at Walsall M6, Jct.10 which looks a handy place for a stop. It will probably about £45 (that's a guess) but that seems good as it includes the unlimted breakfast for all of you too.

Planning a road trip to get to the Mega this year...
Which one? :ph34r:
Probably the official one Mr Paul. The Family that has an unfortunate name did state that they were "Looking at around Birmingham area as we will be approaching on the motorway from the south"

I'll apologise now to save GC stalkers hunting me down.

Officially, there is no official one. Only a recurring, annual one which gets to use the UK Mega account. Or are you saying Piratemania 2011's 500+ visitors didn't count? And there's nothing wrong with Slaughter. Lovely couple of villages. Note to them: I know what you mean about holidays but we're two days from break-up and had to miss the Olympics and graduations in Oxford. I always try to book Travelodge 21+ days ahead to get £19/£15 or even £10 per room/night deals. Can work out very cheap for a family if you can all squeeze in.

Thanks every one, lots to look at now....like the sound of the one where breakfast is included :)

Slaughter means someone who lives in a muddy place :)

SP I had a long chat with you re the events we could make this year at the Mega Wales event :) So sadly we cannot make them all....perhaps one day (note to self I need to win the lottery and get a motorhome lol)