Cache Concentration Guidlines

While I have not actually talk with robertr337 about his view on distance I did get to meet him at a saint pattys day event. Real nice kid and there lays the problem. We have been getting some new cachers here in town and some of them are younger so its hard for them to get out in the woods. While I prefer my long hikes out in the woods I can understand why robertr337 or any of our younger cachers would like to place there caches in town. They just want to be able to enjoy the fun of owning and maintain there own cache with out having to rely on parents to drive them around.

I did not personally talk to his parents so not sure how they feel about heading out for hikes in the woods or having some old fart like me taking him with me next time I go out.

robertr337 don't let these post get you down it can be a rough crowd in here.

I always hope these young people are getting permission, too.

One suggestion would be to sweep the area clean of unmaintained, neglected caches, that are missing, damp with no replacement forthcoming, etc... and start anew.

I'm sure there must be a few of those. Post a needs maintenance, and see if the cache owner is responsive and still active. There are a zillion caches out there with CO's that have left the game.

I am in the increase the distance camp. A quarter mile is a good start. I can see 528' away from where I stand. Why would I need another container so close?

I should mention I am not a fan of urban caching, (but I have done some) because I always doubt that permission was asked and granted, and I always feel creepy about looking for caches in urban environments. Only a couple of urban caches stand out in my mind as being memorable.

In the distant future there will be no where to put a cache that is 528 ft from any other cache.

This shouldn't be that hard to cypher. If you know the square feet of the planet, (5,490,383,247,360,000 square feet, if my math skills haven't failed), and divide it into X number of 528' blocks, the sum should equal fairly close to the saturation point. I'm thinking somewhere in the neighborhood of 10 trillion potential cache hiding locations? Maybe? (My math skills really do suck, so I welcome any corrections) :unsure: Figure 7 trillion locations would need to be really, really waterproof. That still leaves 3 trillion dry land hiding spots. Plot the growth rate of geocaching, figuring in the archival rates as well, and project that onto a calender to see when we'll hit the saturation point.

Approximate area of the earth's land masses: 1,614,586,562,500,000 square feet

Generous assumption that a cache gets a 528' x 528' square block around it (rather than the actual circle): 278,784 square feet

Divide the available space by the area that a cache blocks out, and you get 5,791,532,378 possible hiding spots. That's ONLY 5.7 billion hiding spots. A far cry from the 3 trillion you came up with! With so few spots to choose from, how am I supposed to hide any caches?! :laughing:

Now, that assumes that all caches are Traditional type caches. Physical stages of multis and puzzles would take up more space, whereas virtuals and Earthcaches wouldn't take up any. I think the multis and puzzles would take up more space than the virtual types would save, so they don't quite balance each other out. Let's assume then that multis and puzzles reduce the possible spots to 5 billion. Let's further knock off a half-billion (arbitrary number) to account for areas that don't allow geocaches. That leaves us with a grand total of...

4.5 billion hiding spots!

I don't think we'll be running out of spots anytime soon.

Now, all this is in jest. I understand that some people are simply unable to get out to the wide open spaces, and can only get around within their local urban area. In these cases, the proximity guideline is a very big limiting factor. I still don't think reducing the distance is the answer, though. Like others have said, urban caches tend not to last for a long time. Spaces are constantly coming available through archivals, whether it be due to muggling or the owner simply being unable/unwilling to maintain the cache.

For those with premium memberships, you can set up your notifications to alert you to caches being archived. This will let you know the instant a spot comes available. If you really want to go all out, you could set your notifications to alert you to "Reviewer note" and/or "Temporary disable" logs so you know when a cache is in danger of being archived.

ok this was way long ago when i said that and i did not remeber till i actually got notified on my email. we need to get the space of land in square feet and find out exactly how many potential caches there can be 0.1 miles from each other to see exactly how many there can be. i was mostly worried about some big cities where there have already been posts saying they can hide a cache because there are too many caches there. meaning no room for caches at all. even though the hides potential won't run out soon. again the end of the world this week is suppost to wipe everything out! so what am i suppost to do. ha ha. i am now premium member have 400 hides over my belt. have hidden 64 caches in urban area's where i live and some not where i live. but mostly where i live. i have attended my first 2 event caches last week and iam going to host my first one. so yeah i have learned alot more reccently about the game. in my neighborhood alone i have had about 59 and 5 in nevada cahes that is. so i know at least for my area there is still a substancial space available. i mostly try and conserve space by hiding caches every 0.1 mile from each other. so there is more room for caches.

I also believe that they should make a mapping computer program that shows you where you can put a cache. For example put a green shaded area for where you can still put a cache.
If the only way to find a spot that is 528ft/161m from the nearest cache is to look for holes in a saturation map, then perhaps there are already enough caches in that particular area. Perhaps it would be better to seek out new places to hide caches, places that aren't already so saturated.

i just wouldn't do that! then every other cache would get ARCHIVED. THEN ALL TYPES OF CACHES WOULD BE ARCHIVED IN BETWEEN. THE RESULT MIGHT MORE MICROS AND LESS REGULARS. I HAVE ALOT OF CACHES AND ALL BUT A FEW ARE MICROS. MOST OF MY CACHES ARE FROM SMALL TO LARGE. IN THE URBAN AREA! EVERYONE BASICALLY SPACED 0.1 MILES APART. IN MY NEIGHBORHOOD. JUST TAKE A LOOK!

I think that caches should be changed to be required to only be 263 Ft. Apart, or .05 Miles. In Rhinelander, WI, most of the urban space has been filled and concentrated with caches, and yet still new people are introduced to caching, and would like to post some of their own in the city. It would be very nice if this change could be made.

Why do you want to bring me a spot 263 feet away from another cache in Rhinelander, Wisconsin? Is there a new kind of stop sign or guard rail there, that would enhance my experience of geocaching? :ph34r:

And besides if Rhinelander can get this why can't everyone! Um wait a minute, nevermind! :blink:

I'd work on that maintenance history a little bit before placing a bunch of new ones.

Edited by doug_hollyNKC

While I have not actually talk with robertr337 about his view on distance I did get to meet him at a saint pattys day event. Real nice kid and there lays the problem. We have been getting some new cachers here in town and some of them are younger so its hard for them to get out in the woods. While I prefer my long hikes out in the woods I can understand why robertr337 or any of our younger cachers would like to place there caches in town. They just want to be able to enjoy the fun of owning and maintain there own cache with out having to rely on parents to drive them around.

I did not personally talk to his parents so not sure how they feel about heading out for hikes in the woods or having some old fart like me taking him with me next time I go out.

THAT'S UNFORTANATE. BUT PRAISE THE MIRACLE ON MY FIRST CACHE BELEIVE IT OR NOT THAT'S STILL GOING. BECAUSE I WAS LUCKILY ABLE TO HAVE MY FIRST CACHE AT MY HOUSE AND BE PUBLISHED. YEA THAT'S RIGHT. I REMEMBER WHEN I HAD THE DESIRE TO PLACE MY FIRST CACH AND HAVE IT BE PUBLISHED. SO INSTICTIVELY I PLACED IT AT MY HOUSE AND THANKFULLY IT PUBLISHED. IT WAS BY PURE LUCK! I AM SO GREATFUL. I LIVE IN SALT LAKE AREA IN KEARNS UTAH. AND AFTER READING THIS I FEEL PURE LUCKILY! IT'S REALLY RARE FOR A TEEN AGER TO PLACE 64 IN ONE SUMMER BUT I DID AND GUESS WHAT I AM ONLY 15 YEARS OLD! THOUGH SOME ARE ARCHIVED MOST OF THEM STILL EXIST AND SOMEPLACES WHERE I ORIGINALLY HAD A CACHE BUT THEN GOT ARCHIVED I AM THINKING OF RE LISTING A CACHE THERE. IN A DIFFERENT WAY. I ACTUALLY HAVE ABOUT 50 CACHES WHERE I LIVE AND 5 MORE IN ANOTHER STATE. THEN THE OTHER 10 ARE ARCHIVED ROUGHLY. BUT THINKING OF REPLACING THEM. SORRY TO BRAG. I FEEL SO SORRY FOR HIM. I GUESS HE IS JUST NOT LUCKY ENOUGH. HE IS WHAT IN HIS TEEN YEARS WITH 0 HIDDEN AND YET I AM 15 AND HAVE 65 HIDES AS OF NOW. NOT TO MENTION I HAVE 400 FINDS WELL NOW 401. BUT STILL I FEEL GREATFUL FOR WHAT I WAS ABLE TO ACCOMPLISH AND FEEL SAD THAT HE DOES NOT HAVE ANY HIDES YET. LET ALONE FINDS. I WOULD HAVE GIVEN UP SOME OF MY HIDES FOR HIM IF I COULD. BUT HE LIVES 2 FAR AWAY FOR ME TO GIVE UP SOME TO HIM FOR ADOPTION. I COULD GIVE HIM SOME THROUGH ADOPTION AND MAINTAIN THEM HERE BUT THAT'S JUST NOT THE SAME. I HOPE HE IS ABLE TO HIDE SOME SOON.

I think that caches should be changed to be required to only be 263 Ft. Apart, or .05 Miles. In Rhinelander, WI, most of the urban space has been filled and concentrated with caches, and yet still new people are introduced to caching, and would like to post some of their own in the city. It would be very nice if this change could be made.

If you're looking for that much urban action you ought to check out that other game with the QR codes. There you can get a find every 50 feet. That should satisfy your thirst for a target rich environment!

THAT'S UNFORTANATE. BUT PRAISE THE MIRACLE ON MY FIRST CACHE BELEIVE IT OR NOT THAT'S STILL GOING. BECAUSE I WAS LUCKILY ABLE TO HAVE MY FIRST CACHE AT MY HOUSE AND BE PUBLISHED. YEA THAT'S RIGHT. I REMEMBER WHEN I HAD THE DESIRE TO PLACE MY FIRST CACH AND HAVE IT BE PUBLISHED. SO INSTICTIVELY I PLACED IT AT MY HOUSE AND THANKFULLY IT PUBLISHED. IT WAS BY PURE LUCK! I AM SO GREATFUL. I LIVE IN SALT LAKE AREA IN KEARNS UTAH. AND AFTER READING THIS I FEEL PURE LUCKILY! IT'S REALLY RARE FOR A TEEN AGER TO PLACE 64 IN ONE SUMMER BUT I DID AND GUESS WHAT I AM ONLY 15 YEARS OLD! THOUGH SOME ARE ARCHIVED MOST OF THEM STILL EXIST AND SOMEPLACES WHERE I ORIGINALLY HAD A CACHE BUT THEN GOT ARCHIVED I AM THINKING OF RE LISTING A CACHE THERE. IN A DIFFERENT WAY. I ACTUALLY HAVE ABOUT 50 CACHES WHERE I LIVE AND 5 MORE IN ANOTHER STATE. THEN THE OTHER 10 ARE ARCHIVED ROUGHLY. BUT THINKING OF REPLACING THEM. SORRY TO BRAG. I FEEL SO SORRY FOR HIM. I GUESS HE IS JUST NOT LUCKY ENOUGH. HE IS WHAT IN HIS TEEN YEARS WITH 0 HIDDEN AND YET I AM 15 AND HAVE 65 HIDES AS OF NOW. NOT TO MENTION I HAVE 400 FINDS WELL NOW 401. BUT STILL I FEEL GREATFUL FOR WHAT I WAS ABLE TO ACCOMPLISH AND FEEL SAD THAT HE DOES NOT HAVE ANY HIDES YET. LET ALONE FINDS. I WOULD HAVE GIVEN UP SOME OF MY HIDES FOR HIM IF I COULD. BUT HE LIVES 2 FAR AWAY FOR ME TO GIVE UP SOME TO HIM FOR ADOPTION. I COULD GIVE HIM SOME THROUGH ADOPTION AND MAINTAIN THEM HERE BUT THAT'S JUST NOT THE SAME. I HOPE HE IS ABLE TO HIDE SOME SOON.

Ok, first, please turn off your Caps. Not sure we like to be yelled at.

Second, Please tell me how you're maintaining your 65 caches as a 15-year-old. (And in different states!) The maintenance of geocaches is far more important than saturation guideline relaxation.

If you're looking for that much urban action you ought to check out that other game with the QR codes. There you can get a find every 50 feet. That should satisfy your thirst for a target rich environment!

He could try Waymarking too. Sometimes the same building can count for 4 "finds". I was just signed in at Waymarking the other day for the first time in 4 years.

Edited by gustav129

How about an even mile. Makes the math easy

i don't agree i believe they should be spaced every 0.1 mile!

http://coord.info/GC423D1

This looks like it's in someones back yard (or at the edge). How many people will park in the cul-de-sac and walk through their yard to get to the cache. Personally this is a crappy spot for a cache (the reason why the guidelines say just because there's 528 ft doesn't mean there needs to be a cache there). After a few of these done, I'd end up putting you on my ignore list, so I wouldn't see or do anymore of your caches.

Another thing. The fact that you have to put "please note i place the cache before the listing gets published so if gone muggles likely took it" in your cache description is a VERY GOOD indicator that the cache is in a crappy spot.

Second, Please tell me how you're maintaining your 65 caches as a 15-year-old. (And in different states!) The maintenance of geocaches is far more important than saturation guideline relaxation.

first off that's bad English i did not yell at you i wrote to you or even better i replied to you but i did not yell at you. 2 of all ha ha that's really funny isn't it. you actually believed it didn't you! you actually believe i have that many hides! that's real funny ha ha ha ha ha! just kidding!! come on now can't you take a joke wow! ha ha! :laughing:

To expand:

http://coord.info/GC3MZC5

Comparing the two maps, you placed it up against or near a persons fence. Archived right away.

http://coord.info/GC3M5TA

You have all that open area, so you placed it up against someones property line.

http://coord.info/GC3JY9N

A micro on a sign in somebody's front yard?! Seriously?

http://coord.info/GC3JJXG

On a power pole in someone's yard. Did you let the homeowner know you put a cache in their yard?

And I only picked a few at random. All of which are what I consider crappy spots. Your caches would definitely get ignored by me.

You aren't "conserving space". As a 15 year old, maybe you don't realize the implications some of these caches could put people in. It also looks like many of them had been found once or twice and then archived a few days later. Yes, I have one that I archived right away because I thought I could maintain it out that far of a distance, but couldn't. But all of yours seem to be in the town that most of your caches are in.

Edited by gustav129

This looks like it's in someones back yard (or at the edge). How many people will park in the cul-de-sac and walk through their yard to get to the cache. Personally this is a crappy spot for a cache (the reason why the guidelines say just because there's 528 ft doesn't mean there needs to be a cache there). After a few of these done, I'd end up putting you on my ignore list, so I wouldn't see or do anymore of your caches.

Another thing. The fact that you have to put "please note i place the cache before the listing gets published so if gone muggles likely took it" in your cache description is a VERY GOOD indicator that the cache is in a crappy spot.

uh i don't even know you and you should not be snooping on my public profile page! :angry: i guess i will snoop on yours

uh i don't even know you and you should not be snooping on my public profile page! :angry: i guess i will snoop on yours

Is there an adult supervising these placements, per the guidelines?

yes there is. also what a dang stupid thing to do you lied about my cache there is nowhere that it says this "please note i place the cache before the listing gets published so if gone muggles likely took it" also it does not show up in someonelses property like you think. in fact it shows up by a tree where it is! i really don't apreaciate the hostileness!

It's great that you are getting outside and enjoying geocaching. But do your parents know that you are playing on the forums instead of doing your homework?

there is no secrets kept. there the ones that now a days drive me around to hide and find caches. they know where my hides are because they drive me around to hide them and agree to me placing them. they also drive me around to maintnance my caches. for example just yesturday my mom took me to maintnance 1 of my caches and today she took me to hide caches. and they do know that i am on the computer alot and when and when i don't do my homework. it's not like there gone all day long. i am at least 50 feet away from them always. and you wonder if they know if i am doing homework! of course they know. my moms sitting no more then 10 feet away and knows i am on the computer. wow i thought most cachers out there today only beleive in caching and that's all they do. so it suprises me when something comes up about homework. usually it's just caching. beats me.

i did not yell at you i wrote to you or even better i replied to you but i did not yell at you.
For the record, typing in ALL CAPS is considered shouting (yelling) on the 'net. You wrote several lines of text in ALL CAPS. That is considered yelling.

http://www.networketiquette.net/do_not_use_all_caps.htm

uh i don't even know you and you should not be snooping on my public profile page!
What part of "public profile" do you not understand?

so to some it up yes my parents do give approval. they drive me to every cache i find practically and drive me around with there consent to hide caches. i already have 4 trackables out. it's not like they are gone all day. i am 50 feet from them at least all day. for example my my mom just drove me to maintain a cache yesturday and drove me to hide a few more with her consent as of today. so of course they know about me geocaching and what i do. and they are not against it the least amount. all they wish is that i do not spend all my time geocaching which i have not. so there you have it. so i do have permission. opting out of forums never to return as of now. the forms are just to dang hostile. yep they were right about the forms. see ya never again. and if you try any thing i will be angry.

yes there is. also what a dang stupid thing to do you lied about my cache there is nowhere that it says this "please note i place the cache before the listing gets published so if gone muggles likely took it" also it does not show up in someonelses property like you think. in fact it shows up by a tree where it is! i really don't apreaciate the hostileness!

I see you edited your cache page. It was the last sentence of your cache description, which I copied and pasted from. It was also your hint, which is now gone.

Edited by gustav129

I said no such thing! :huh::blink:

Speaking of being hostile... <_<

i did not yell at you i wrote to you or even better i replied to you but i did not yell at you.
For the record, typing in ALL CAPS is considered shouting (yelling) on the 'net. You wrote several lines of text in ALL CAPS. That is considered yelling.

http://www.networketiquette.net/do_not_use_all_caps.htm

uh i don't even know you and you should not be snooping on my public profile page!
What part of "public profile" do you not understand?

before this post i had no clue about the capital letter rule. usually when i type i just type i am not used to looking at whether it's in caps or not currently my keeboard shows caps being off

i think my keyboard is weird. here is an example of caps and not caps on my keyboard.

CAPS = T and not caps = t

well at least gustav did. maybe i replied to everyone and not him personally sorry.

also what a dang stupid thing to do you lied about my cache there is nowhere that it says this "please note i place the cache before the listing gets published so if gone muggles likely took it" also it does not show up in someonelses property like you think. in fact it shows up by a tree where it is! i really don't apreaciate the hostileness!

well at least gustav did. maybe i replied to everyone and not him personally sorry.

also what a dang stupid thing to do you lied about my cache there is nowhere that it says this "please note i place the cache before the listing gets published so if gone muggles likely took it" also it does not show up in someonelses property like you think. in fact it shows up by a tree where it is! i really don't apreaciate the hostileness!

yea it appears so i typed this all the way at the bottom when it should of been right after gustav response again sorry.

yea it appears so i typed this all the way at the bottom when it should of been right after gustav response again sorry.

I appreciate you realizing your mistake and apologizing for it.

Now, please don't take the forum chatter too personally. There's a lot to learn about the game, guidelines of geocaching, guidelines of the forums, and general forum etiquette. This is why not just parental permission, but parental involvement is important here. Minors are generally going to have a hard time understanding things here.

I know it is hard to understand why you're getting such a hard time from people here. But, I hope you can realize that this game isn't just a big "go hide stuff" party. There are guidelines, and simple codes of conduct that will help with interactions with others and the general public in regards to geocaching and the forums here.

To expand:

Comparing the two maps, you placed it up against or near a persons fence. Archived right away.

You have all that open area, so you placed it up against someones property line.

On a power pole in someone's yard. Did you let the homeowner know you put a cache in their yard?

And I only picked a few at random. All of which are what I consider crappy spots. Your caches would definitely get ignored by me.

You aren't "conserving space". As a 15 year old, maybe you don't realize the implications some of these caches could put people in. It also looks like many of them had been found once or twice and then archived a few days later. Yes, I have one that I archived right away because I thought I could maintain it out that far of a distance, but couldn't. But all of yours seem to be in the town that most of your caches are in.

yeah this why i hate the forums or facebook any other type. everyone hates me on here.

for your imformation none of these are on a persons property you can say it all you want. just because there close does not mean that they are on there property. take the cache of tools for example it's not in there front yard it's on the side walk which is open to the public. there is a reason why they call it a public sign and a public sidewalk because it's for everyone. that's it i am out of here never to return to the forums again.

first off that's bad English i did not yell at you i wrote to you or even better i replied to you but i did not yell at you. 2 of all ha ha that's really funny isn't it. you actually believed it didn't you! you actually believe i have that many hides! that's real funny ha ha ha ha ha! just kidding!! come on now can't you take a joke wow! ha ha! :laughing:

Chris, while I said I appreciate your apology for the accusation, I'm confused where this is all coming from. I'm simply talking about the guidelines, and wondering how you maintain 65 caches at 15 years old. Are you saying that you don't have that many hides?

Forgive me here, but you are getting mad at people for looking at your profile for examples. I didn't bother confirming your hide rate with a visit to your profile. So, forgive me, but I don't understand. It was a joke? You don't have 65 hides?

Acting like a child on the forums like this will only get you treated like a child. This is, in fact, why parents are supposed to supervise membership and forum activities of minors. If you showed your mother, 50 feet away, how you are acting and what you're saying, how would she react? :angry:

It's great that you are getting outside and enjoying geocaching. But do your parents know that you are playing on the forums instead of doing your homework?

i think i have already replied but will again in a shorter phrase. yes they do know about it. but i always thought cachers here were all about caching and not homework. so it suprises me to see a post like this

To expand:

yeah this why i hate the forums or facebook any other type. everyone hates me on here.

for your imformation none of these are on a persons property you can say it all you want. just because there close does not mean that they are on there property. take the cache of tools for example it's not in there front yard it's on the side walk which is open to the public. there is a reason why they call it a public sign and a public sidewalk because it's for everyone. that's it i am out of here never to return to the forums again.

Before you storm off, I want to help you out here. Sidewalks and boulevards have different ownership based on the municipality and laws therein. What that means is, there is a chance that the sidewalk and boulevard might belong to a homeowner. Being able to know whether or not it is private property is a key part of cache placement. This is a prime example of why the adult who supervises minors in the game should also know the guidelines for placement and help the minors they supervise understand them.

Take some time to think about the bigger issue here, Chris. It isn't personal when it comes down to it. You need to understand that you might not understand the game as well as you hoped you did. Take this feedback with a grain of salt. If you're getting frustrated about the game or forums, you should talk to you parents about it.

In today's day and age, I would not like it if my dogs were constantly barking because people are hunting for a geocache on the backside of my fence in the middle of the night. That's probably the biggest concern of being in close proximity of a property.

Also, if I didn't know a geocache was hidden in a tree that's on a sidewalk next to my house, I would be very concerned if people started looking through a tree that I maintained. I'd wait for them to leave and find out why they are digging through my tree. That's just opening up your cache to being muggled.

The thing is, it's very important you let the people know that live next to the cache that the cache is there, so the cops aren't called. Even if you placed on in your front yard, you still have to let the people who live around me know so they aren't calling the cops every time somebody is digging through my yard.

Chris, while I said I appreciate your apology for the accusation, I'm confused where this is all coming from. I'm simply talking about the guidelines, and wondering how you maintain 65 caches at 15 years old. Are you saying that you don't have that many hides?

Forgive me here, but you are getting mad at people for looking at your profile for examples. I didn't bother confirming your hide rate with a visit to your profile. So, forgive me, but I don't understand. It was a joke? You don't have 65 hides?

Acting like a child on the forums like this will only get you treated like a child. This is, in fact, why parents are supposed to supervise membership and forum activities of minors. If you showed your mother, 50 feet away, how you are acting and what you're saying, how would she react? :angry:

usually when i am i sometimes act weird. in real life i am really shy but on the forms not so much. but that's beside the point. my mom knows i am blogging or chatting. and though i don't know exactly what here direct response would be, i do know on one of my event caches that i am hosting she laughed at what i had to say in the description a while ago but still did not deem it appropriate to write. so we corrected it. are family gave consent for the cache though. the reason i responded in the way that i did was because because i initially thought someones going to seek to make all my caches to be archived by contacting Groundspeak and deprive me of my innocents. despite the fact that i have 5 geocaches in nevada, when i placed them for some reason or another in nevada the reviwer published them despite knowing my location. 3 of which are where we go once a year mount city nevada. i just don't want someone to think that i don't have a maintnace plan then contact Groundspeak then having all my caches archived!that's why i responded the way i did :angry: soo sad and scared :sad::angry::(

the truth is i currently have 67 hides but have had a steady increase of cachers enjoying the new hides i put out that say they have been better then before. in other words in my area my reputation has been steadily growing over the past few months to a better reputation. so in my own words from when i started caching i have increased steadily at being better at finding and at my hides. my original caches were alot worse then the ones i have today. :tired: