Font size in new search pages

Nylimb

This bug has been mentioned in the thread about the new search pages, but I haven't seen any reply yet. Maybe if it's in a thread of its own it won't get lost among the other issues.

I'm using Netscape Communicator 4.77 on an iMac. When I do a search for caches, the list shows up in a font that's too small to read. In order to read it I have to do "Increase Font Size" twice, and wait for the page to reload. This takes about 20 seconds.

Will this be fixed soon? Has anyone figured out a way to work around it? I know that Netscape's "Preferences" command lets you adjust the fonts that are used for various things, but I haven't figured out what to change to fix this problem.l

quote:
Originally posted by Nylimb:

This bug has been mentioned in the thread about the new search pages, but I haven't seen any reply yet. Maybe if it's in a thread of its own it won't get lost among the other issues.

I'm using Netscape Communicator 4.77 on an iMac. When I do a search for caches, the list shows up in a font that's too small to read. In order to read it I have to do "Increase Font Size" twice, and wait for the page to reload. This takes about 20 seconds.

Will this be fixed soon? Has anyone figured out a way to work around it? I know that Netscape's "Preferences" command lets you adjust the fonts that are used for various things, but I haven't figured out what to change to fix this problem.l

See my response about the extraneous characters -- it's a Netscape 4.7 thing. If you can upgrade to Netscape 6 or any other modern browser, everything will display fine. I feel your pain, being a Netscape fan and finding 6.0 too slow for my older iMac, but generally speaking, when 4.7 shows something wrong, it's its own fault. It failed to respect a bunch of standards that most of the rest of the world (including newer netscape) now follows.

It is definitely not true that using a modern

browser solves the problem of the much too small

font size. Neither Netscape 7.0 nor Mozilla

(I tested three platforms, Linux, Win NT and

Digital Unix) lead to a larger font than

Netscape 4.7x. Despite the fact that the

new version offers more options, I *by far*

preferred the old version since it was

better suited for shortsighted people.

I am aware of the fact that I can change

settings, but I am not regarding this as

a feasible work-around since it has effects

to all the web-pages I am going to view.

I feel that the GC.com web site should not be

designated only to users who either have very

good eyes or are using the awful MS-IE as browser.

Regards

Cezanne

[This message was edited by cezanne on June 20, 2003 at 07:52 AM.]

I disagree with formatting it to 'everyone' in that respect. Not everyone is going to find it visually appealing to view a cache page in 20+ point font. Setting it to a generally accepted font size should be fine. Simply pressing the Ctrl button and using your mouse scroll wheel going up or down will re-format your font size. If you need a larger view for this page, adjust it and then back for others. Sites like CNN.com are in a similar font size (possibly 1-point smaller), yet they don't resize it for 'everyone, because there are alternative options for that group of users.

Brian

Team A.I.

[edit]

I didn't read the post about the iMac issue, but that seems to be platform specific. Have you looked into upgrading the browser to a newer rev?

[/edit]

[This message was edited by Brian - Team A.I. on June 20, 2003 at 09:55 AM.]

I was not talking about formatting to the wishes

of everyone. I was not asking for a font of >20 points. The old version could not have been that

bad. It was used for a very long time without anyone complaining about the large font size on

the list of search results.

Note that I *do not* talk about the cache pages.

They did not change and the standard

font size used there is fine with me.

I had a look at the CNN pages. Even the normal

text there is displayed in a slightly larger font

than the cache names on the new list of search

results. The heading lines of texts are considerably larger. In my opinion, the names of

caches in the list should have a similar

importance than headers.

BTW: Your suggestion of using a scrolling mouse requires the availability of such a mouse.

At many places people have to work with the mouses

which are available and cannot choose.

Regards

Cezanne

Thanks, Kite & Hawkeye. I've switched to Netscape 7.0 and things are much more readable now. The search result pages seem to load faster, too.

I've only tried this on an iMac; apparently cezanne is still having similar problems on other platforms.