Magellan Explorist GC

I am looking into buying a Magellan Explorist GC. I live in a rural part of BC and I want to know if Magellan has maps for my area. If someone has a Magellan GC could you please check if you enter postal code V0K 1X3 if you can see Sulphurous Lake and Pettyjohn Road on the maps? I don't want to go into the city to buy it or order it online to find out that it doesn't have maps for my area. Thanks so much and have a great day!

I am looking into buying a Magellan Explorist GC. I live in a rural part of BC and I want to know if Magellan has maps for my area. If someone has a Magellan GC could you please check if you enter postal code V0K 1X3 if you can see Sulphurous Lake and Pettyjohn Road on the maps? I don't want to go into the city to buy it or order it online to find out that it doesn't have maps for my area. Thanks so much and have a great day!

I can't even find those roads on Google Maps!! So I loaded the only cache "in town" for 70 mile house, http://coord.info/GC1TTRQ Highway 98, The Cariboo Highway, is definitely shown. N. Bonaparte Road, coming in from the East is shown. A little further to the North, the dead-end roads of the settlement of 70 mile House are shown. However, Maple Road is shown as dead-ending just outside of town, while Google Maps shows it connecting with Old Cariboo Highway; this road is not shown. You want my quick opinion? Look at your area in Google Maps, and everything shown in Yellow on Google Maps is going to be on the GC. But I'd have to load dozens of caches to verify this.

OK, I had some more time, I couldn't leave you with that half-arsed answer. :lol: The reason I wanted to load caches is for reference points, the roads disappear when you zoom out a little in such a rural area. Basically go with the "Yellow Roads" on Google Maps being shown on the Explorist GC, and then some. North Green Lake Road is shown. South Green Lake road, which is not Yellow on Google, is shown, but the minor roads around Green Lake Provincial Park are not. There's a lot of detail up 100 Mile House way. Horse Lake Rd. and all the Google Yellow roads around it are shown, as well as all the minor roads near horse Lake, which I would love to visit some day, by the way, looks awesome. I don't know, this is better than I expected going in, having looked at Google maps before even firing up the GC. Your call, I guess.

Edited by Mr.Yuck

OK, I had some more time, I couldn't leave you with that half-arsed answer. :lol: The reason I wanted to load caches is for reference points, the roads disappear when you zoom out a little in such a rural area. Basically go with the "Yellow Roads" on Google Maps being shown on the Explorist GC, and then some. North Green Lake Road is shown. South Green Lake road, which is not Yellow on Google, is shown, but the minor roads around Green Lake Provincial Park are not. There's a lot of detail up 100 Mile House way. Horse Lake Rd. and all the Google Yellow roads around it are shown, as well as all the minor roads near horse Lake, which I would love to visit some day, by the way, looks awesome. I don't know, this is better than I expected going in, having looked at Google maps before even firing up the GC. Your call, I guess.

Wow Mr. Yuck thank you so much for the detailed response that you gave! This is EXTREMELY helpful. I live just past Horse Lake off of Mahood Lake Rd. I am glad that the Magellan shows the main roads for my area. I think I will probably buy this GPS as it fits into my budget as a new geocacher. Thanks for the info. about the yellow roads on Google maps I will check this out. The Cariboo is a beautiful place and I can't wait to explore more of it through Geocaching! I went out with my mom a week ago and we logged my first finds and I am excited to get out there on my own now. I really do appreciate the time you took to answer my question. HAPPY HUNTING!

Wow Mr. Yuck thank you so much for the detailed response that you gave! This is EXTREMELY helpful. I live just past Horse Lake off of Mahood Lake Rd. I am glad that the Magellan shows the main roads for my area. I think I will probably buy this GPS as it fits into my budget as a new geocacher. Thanks for the info. about the yellow roads on Google maps I will check this out. The Cariboo is a beautiful place and I can't wait to explore more of it through Geocaching! I went out with my mom a week ago and we logged my first finds and I am excited to get out there on my own now. I really do appreciate the time you took to answer my question. HAPPY HUNTING!

Oh yeah, all your finds are in Alberta. No problem at all, I had fun doing it. These are fun things to a geek like myself. :laughing:

Just an FYI if you want better maps you the GC isn't going to help since it has no way of loading additional maps. Unless you want to try hacking it with the Explorist 310 firmware. Personally i find maps very useful so you don't end up on the wrong approach to a cache and find yourself on the wrong side of a body of water from the cache.