do I need memory card to download caches?

RawhideKid

New to forum and geocaching. Played around with my iphone and geocaching app which I love, but want to do more. Got GREAT price on a Garmin 550t at Cabella's and used it for a hike this last week.

BUT....trying to download caches from the geocaching site hasn't worked. I downloaded the software, and all seems to work when I click on the one I want to download. Popup comes up, I select my gps that I have connected to my laptop, and click on the "write" button. But when I disconnect the gps and click on geocaching icon, nothing is there.

I have not installed a memory chip up to this point, and wondering if that is the problem. It did save photo waypoints quite well, and I loaded Garmin basecamp and looked at the track I did on the hike - very cool!

Excited to do more, and teach some cub scouts about basic tracking and use of a GPS in a few weeks. LOTS to study in the short term though....

thanks for any advice.

RK

First off - to get the most out of that unit - you should become a premium member.

Second - hook the unit up to your computer via USB and look in the garmin\gpx folder - what files do you see there?

I see the following:

BirdsEye Demo.gpx

Current (folder)

Garmin Waypoints.gpx

Route_18-MAR-12 080354 PM.gpx

Waypoints_14-MAR-12.gpx

Waypoints_15-MAR-12.gpx

Waypoints_18-MAR-12.gpx

First off - to get the most out of that unit - you should become a premium member.

Second - hook the unit up to your computer via USB and look in the garmin\gpx folder - what files do you see there?

I see the following:

BirdsEye Demo.gpx

Current (folder)

Garmin Waypoints.gpx

Route_18-MAR-12 080354 PM.gpx

Waypoints_14-MAR-12.gpx

Waypoints_15-MAR-12.gpx

Waypoints_18-MAR-12.gpx

Do you use a mac? See this post.

I think clearly the caches are not transferring to your unit via the Garmin plugin.

Again though - to get the most out of that unit you need to be a premium member so you can get all the cache page listing details included in any file transfers. After you become premium - learn to use pocket queries to get large groups of caches.