...write on my copy tag?

Subareed

For writing on metal pretty permanently, I would suggest using a Deco brand Paint pen. You can find them in art supply stores, or craft stores. The Sharpie brand is ok. Get the Deco brand, it really is better. Once you get either one, you must first shake it up, like spray paint. Then you have to 'activate' the paint by pressing on the nib in an up and down fashion (use a different piece of paper or cardboard for this) to get the paint to start flowing. Once its there, you might need to shake it or repress on the nib once and a while if you are working on a large project.

Remember that it is paint, so it will take a minute or two for it to dry. But once it is dry it is pretty hard to remove.

BTW, they also come in three line sizes, you would want an extra fine nib.

Good luck with your project

I tried using a sharpie and it wouldn't even mark it up, just barely a ink smear. Any ideas on how to fill out the tracking code on the blank ones and the name/goal on all tags?

Thanks!!

Is there a reason you need to write the tracking code...all the one's I've seen had the numbers already on them

I tried using a sharpie and it wouldn't even mark it up, just barely a ink smear. Any ideas on how to fill out the tracking code on the blank ones and the name/goal on all tags?

Thanks!!

Is there a reason you need to write the tracking code...all the one's I've seen had the numbers already on them

I have a dog tag trackable which had the code printed on both the tag and the copy tag. I also have a window cling, which has a tracking code on the cling, but not on the copy tag. Both tags have a blank spot for "name/mission"

Subareed is correct, the current crop of copy tags are blank with areas for you to enter the number and mission.

Sharpies do not work all that well, but a previous response in this thread does give a type that does.

BUT...(yes, there is a but)..... by far the best method for imprinting the tag is die-stamping the digits. Sure, you get to buy a set of die-stamps. In using these, the digits cannot be erased or otherwise removed without destroying the tag.

It has been a while, but I remember that Craftsman® makes (or made) a very nice, yet reasonably priced set. It contains all of the alphabet and numbers (0 - 9).

Engraving is an alternative, but engraved digits will eventually wear away whereas stamped characters will not. Also engraving leaves a bit to be desired due to differences in 'legible' handwriting -- especially with vibrating engraver.

Something else to keep in mind.... The photo below shows the current crop of Travel Bug tags. Do notice what it says on the face of the COPY tag. It says KEEP ME! At best, this is horribly confusing when one is not to keep a Travel Bug, yet the copy tag says to do so.

If you do use the copy tag to re-release a TB, be sure and do something about that KEEP ME! statement on it.

ff094p.jpg

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee