FTF A Non-Existent Cache?

We are new to Geocaching, we've only being doing it for 3 weeks and have a question.

We found a cache, 'Rothley Crags and Castle', yesterday and were enjoying the superb views, when my 10 year old son, Luke, said he had found another cache.

He had been exploring the walls of the castle and pulled a loose stone from the wall and there it was. There was a log book inside saying it was posted in October last year by 'Josh & Harvey', and no further entries.

I've checked and it does not appear on the website. Luke claims he is FTF, we are letting him have this but don't understand why the cache is not listed. Has anyone got any idea?

Is there a special award for FTF of a non-existent cache that does actually exist, especially considering he is only 10 years old?

He may have a FTF but if he cannot log it then it's just pie in the sky.

I'd agree if it was my wife or me making the claim, but Luke is only 10. So, he may not be an official FTF but I think I'll tell him it was a special secret cache and he has to be careful about bragging about it.

I must admit that my first thoughts were that this is a cache which someone thought would be a good idea to hide, and then which (for one reason or another) wasn't published. As to WHY it wasn't published, it is indeed possible that the reviewer thought that hiding a cache in a wall did rather contravene the rules about possible damage to other people's property... but it could have been delayed or forgotten for many other reasons.

It's nice for Luke that he found it - it shows cunning caching skills and he will obviously be an asset to your team as you to continue to go caching. You might want to have a chat with him about how sometimes it can be a good idea to be very careful searching for caches in walls though (particularly dry stone walls). Usually a good cache won't be in that sort of location because searching for it can cause damage to the structure. It's not the hiding it which is a problem it's the 300 people looking for it which can loosen otherwise intact stones. Some caches like that do slip through the net, but I think reviewers do try to prevent them.

Also unfortunately without a cache page on geocaching.com to log it against, there is no way of counting the find in your geocaching.com stats. That's not to say you can't count it between yourselves and congratulate him, but unless you find it listed on another caching site, somehow, it won't be recorded as an on-line find.

To be fair, caches are only restricted from being hidden in dry stone walls because these can be pulled apart by over-keen cachers. For a loose rock to hide a cache in the (otherwise solid) walls of a castle, and that rock to be so lose a 10 year-old can remove it, it's probably past being of structural support to the building. I've found caches behind lose bricks in walls, I've placed caches behind lose bricks in walls... Same difference?

As for the cache, it's probably either been rejected from being listed on Geocaching.com becauce it was hidden too close to an existing one - which thewilkins found - or it's been listed elsewhere (see link above. Thanks John). An internet search for 'Josh & Harvey' might turn them up?

I'm not seeing any other caches near this one that have been archived or never published. Quick check on two other listing sites shows no caches either. I did check logs on this cache to see whether it had been 'lost' and replaced and what was found was the original container but that doesn't seem to be the case either. So it could be a planned cache that never came to anything, possibly a 'holiday' cache and when the owner was told it couldn't be placed there they 're-used' the cache page for something else and abandoned the container.

A mystery!

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk

Geocaching.com Knowledge Books

Hi Simple Paul. I didn't realise there were other geocaching sites. Why' that?

Check out Wikipedia

I did. No wonder I went for this website. Although the Russian one is tempting. :rolleyes:

Mr Irish certainly gained a foothold. Does he still cache or is it just a business venture these days?

Still waiting JoLuc - an explanation or an apology will do just fine.

We are new to Geocaching, we've only being doing it for 3 weeks and have a question.

We found a cache, 'Rothley Crags and Castle', yesterday and were enjoying the superb views, when my 10 year old son, Luke, said he had found another cache.

He had been exploring the walls of the castle and pulled a loose stone from the wall and there it was. There was a log book inside saying it was posted in October last year by 'Josh & Harvey', and no further entries.

I've checked and it does not appear on the website. Luke claims he is FTF, we are letting him have this but don't understand why the cache is not listed. Has anyone got any idea?

Is there a special award for FTF of a non-existent cache that does actually exist, especially considering he is only 10 years old?

Try contacting one of the reviewers with the coordinates to see if it's a known cache that's waiting publication. It could be an unpublished traditional, it could be the final to a multi or puzzle.

Alternatively it could be listed on another site, or a cache that was hidden but then denied. If the wall was a dry stone wall the chances are it's been denied.

A caching friend of mine found a cache last year, walking by a certain spot in London and figured it would be a good place for a cache so reached in and pulled out a cache. It turned out he was FTF, four days before it was published.

Hi Simple Paul. I didn't realise there were other geocaching sites. Why' that?

Check out Wikipedia

I did. No wonder I went for this website. Although the Russian one is tempting. :rolleyes:

Mr Irish certainly gained a foothold. Does he still cache or is it just a business venture these days?

Still waiting JoLuc - an explanation or an apology will do just fine.

I hereby apologise with all my heart.

Thanks for your patience.