Cache recommendations near Columbia Gorge on the WA/OR Border

TheCacheSeeker

With this lousy weather, I have been searching places to go geocaching when it gets nice. I just looked at the area along the Columbia Gorge. I can't believe all the caches that are available. It's like the first time I went pheasant hunting in Nebraska. We flushed about 40 into the air and I was so dumbfounded I just watched them and never shot at all. We use to just drive either on the Washington or Oregon side and pick up whatever was available. Now there are so many, I don't know where to start. I am sure there are bookmarks available of some outstanding caches. Good luck in your search and trip.

I would recommend the Trout Lake area (Trout Lake Cache GC1E28T), but only after all the snow is gone. When up here last summer just before the Portland Cache Machine 2 to work a few WDC pages. See my log (GRM35 GCQZNM) 6/24/11 :)

There is a great-looking canyon east of Goldendale that I want to explore more when I'm down this way again. While the cache is basic (T.T.T. GCJ3MD), the drive was quite beautiful.

Fuzzywhip

Edited by Fuzzywhip

As indicated by Fuzzy, the Trout Lake area is very nice. We stayed all night in Goldendale and then drove up into page 90 and 89 for the Delorme Challenge. Not exactly the Columbia Gorge but we recently went across the Columbia at Longview and did the caches along US 30 down to Scappoose. Traffic was relative light and caches were fairly easy with nice views. A relaxing trip in small towns along the way. We did the caches on the right side going down and the other side coming back. I should mention we are in our eighties and unable to do long hikes, so YMMV.

I would recommend the Trout Lake area (Trout Lake Cache GC1E28T), but only after all the snow is gone. Went up here last summer just before the Portland Cache Machine 2 to work a few WDC pages. See my log (GRM35 GCQZNM) 6/24/11 :)

There is a great-looking canyon east of Goldendale that I want to explore more when I'm down this way again. While the cache is basic (T.T.T. GCJ3MD), the drive was quite beautiful.

Fuzzywhip

Should of said WEST of Goldendale :)

Dogs on leashes are allowed throughout the Columbia River Gorge Scenic Area. They're also okay in most urban parks. Portland has a few wildlife sanctuaries where dogs are not permitted.

I haven't been down that way since 2007. It seems to me at that time I had gone to the trailhead for a rails to trails that led through a tunnel. There was a cache somewhere, but I seem to recall the reason I didn't even get out of the motorhome was some signs saying dogs were not allowed, even on leash, in this part of the trail.?? Anyone know which cache that might be, or if I'm just fuzzy on the memory?

I'm glad you started this thread. I love the area, you got me planning a few day trip down that way this spring. In looking at the maps it looks like there are tons more caches then last time I was there.

By the way, I really liked "The John Day Overlook" GCAF50.

Dogs on leashes are allowed throughout the Columbia River Gorge Scenic Area. They're also okay in most urban parks. Portland has a few wildlife sanctuaries where dogs are not permitted.

Thanks! Where is the Columbia River Gorge Scenic Area? Does it have any good caches?

Pretty much the whole gorge is the scenic area. Both sides of the river, Washington and Oregon. B)

My link

Thanks! Where is the Columbia River Gorge Scenic Area? Does it have any good caches?

Pretty much the whole gorge is the scenic area. Both sides of the river, Washington and Oregon. B)

My link

Thank you!

It seems to me at that time I had gone to the trailhead for a rails to trails that led through a tunnel. There was a cache somewhere, but I seem to recall the reason I didn't even get out of the motorhome was some signs saying dogs were not allowed, even on leash, in this part of the trail.??

The only rails-to-trails path with a tunnel I can think of is the Mosier Tunnels, but dogs are permitted there on leash.

It seems to me at that time I had gone to the trailhead for a rails to trails that led through a tunnel. There was a cache somewhere, but I seem to recall the reason I didn't even get out of the motorhome was some signs saying dogs were not allowed, even on leash, in this part of the trail.??

The only rails-to-trails path with a tunnel I can think of is the Mosier Tunnels, but dogs are permitted there on leash.

There is a fee for that one if you don't have whatever you Oregonians use for a parks pass. I think it was $5.00.

There are plenty of good hikes along the gorge. Catherine Creek is nice. If you prefer something more vigorous, Dog Mountain is popular and it's close to Carson which is the location of the do-not-pass-without-stopping hot springs.

I recently walked the Eagle Creek trail outside of Cascade Locks (across from Stevenson, WA). This was one beautiful and interesting trail, one of the nicest I have been on. It may be a bit more than you are looking for if you have a pup, I took my creature with me but she is an adult. Distance to the tunnel through the falls is listed as 6 miles and there is no elevation gain to speak of. I should mention this may not be for those with height issues.

This cache has the info on how to find the trailhead:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GCK9GR

This website has other info as well:

http://www.portlandhikersfieldguide.org/wiki/Eagle_Creek_to_Tunnel_Falls_Hike

I can also recommend the shorter walk in the area as a nice place to visit, the trail starts here:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC1D29V

Distance to the tunnel through the falls is listed as 6 miles and there is no elevation gain to speak of.
It's 1000 feet of net elevation gain. The trailhead is 160 feet above sea level and the tunnel is 1200 feet.

Eagle Creek is one of the most popular hikes in the gorge, and rightly so. There are six active caches on the trail. You need a federal Northwest Forest Pass or equivalent to park at the trailhead.

I recently walked the Eagle Creek trail outside of Cascade Locks (across from Stevenson, WA). This was one beautiful and interesting trail, one of the nicest I have been on. It may be a bit more than you are looking for if you have a pup, I took my creature with me but she is an adult. Distance to the tunnel through the falls is listed as 6 miles and there is no elevation gain to speak of. I should mention this may not be for those with height issues.

This cache has the info on how to find the trailhead:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GCK9GR

This website has other info as well:

http://www.portlandhikersfieldguide.org/wiki/Eagle_Creek_to_Tunnel_Falls_Hike

I can also recommend the shorter walk in the area as a nice place to visit, the trail starts here:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC1D29V

Looks like a nice place from the link. Sounds a bit too hard for the pup, though. Might end up carrying her or finding a easier hike.

There is a good loop from Wahkeena Falls across the top and down the Multnomah trail. Multnomah Trail has lots of awesome falls like Weisendanger and Ecola not to mention Multnomah ;) My aunt and I did the Multnomah to Oneonta Falls loop which was long (like 12 miles I think) and took 8 hours, mostly cause I was out of shape and the humidity was oppressive. There were lots of dogs on both loops and quite a handful of caches but I had a hard time picking up satellite signals so only found a couple.

Distance to the tunnel through the falls is listed as 6 miles and there is no elevation gain to speak of.
It's 1000 feet of net elevation gain. The trailhead is 160 feet above sea level and the tunnel is 1200 feet.

Eagle Creek is one of the most popular hikes in the gorge, and rightly so. There are six active caches on the trail. You need a federal Northwest Forest Pass or equivalent to park at the trailhead.

1000 ft gain over 6 miles is no elevation gain to speak of :) All about perspective.