Imput on the Garmin Dakota 10 or 20

Hello Everyone!

I was hoping to get your imput on the Garmin Dakota 10 or 20. I have been using a car Garmin for finding caches but would like sometime a little smaller and durable due to I take my dog and young nieces with me when I go out hiking and geocaching. I was looking at purchasing the Garmin 10 or 20 and was wondering if anyone has any imput on it. I would love both positive and negative feedback or even other suggestions. I am looking for something smaller then a car GPS, durable, and non cumberson (do they make like a wrist band or holding device that can be strapped to your arm like my mp3 player?). Sorry I will admit I am new at this :blink: .

Thanks for your help!

(do they make like a wrist band or holding device that can be strapped to your arm like my mp3 player?). Sorry I will admit I am new at this :blink: .

Thanks for your help!

Oh yes - check out the Foretrex series. They don't have maps, though.

As for the eTrex 20, the "sticky issue" might be a problem for geocaching until garmin corrects the bug. Google for "etrex sticky" to see videos.

Edited by tr_s

I've had a Dakota 20 for about nine months now and it has served me very well. I like that it is compact and lightweight -- I hang it around my neck from the lanyard and never even notice it is there.

Sometimes it would be nice to have something with a bigger screen for trying to read the topo maps when on the trails but it certainly does the job.

Here's my 2 cents. I think the etrex 20 is an excellent GPSr for geocaching. It is small, rugged, and easy to operate. It picks up satellites quickly, and the display is bright and easy to read in bright sun. Yes, my unit exhibited the "sticky" issue, but the latest firmware update has corrected it (in mine) and it tracks well to the cache. Negatives? The screen is small, but not too small for me. Let me get back to the positives. The AA batteries seem to last forever, or at least 18 hours or more on my hybrid rechargeables. I like the "joystick" control - it's easy to use. I use a Garmin Dakota silicone case to protect it, as well as a screen saver. It's one of the cheapest units to provide "paperless" geocaching. If you're considering both the 10 and 20, definitely go for the etrex 20. For fifty more bucks you get the ability to add maps via a micro SD memory card, and the color display can't be beat. I guess you could say I'm completely sold on the thing. After upgrading the firmware, it is an incredibly accurate, reliable, and useable GPS receiver. I say this after buying and using and selling over a hundred different kinds of GPSrs on Ebay. $160-$180 is a good price for this unit, and I really think you can't go wrong.

A lot of the replies are form people talking about the "Etrex 10 and 20", the OP is about the Dakota 10 and 20. I had both the Dakota 10 and 20, see how I said both. The 10 is a good unit but the 20 is a better unit and has a lot more features that, if you get the 10, will wish you had with the 20.

Yet, like others have posted here, the Etrex series are a good unit also. They have the 10, 20, and 30 models which are pretty good from what I've read. The main difference between the Etrex models and Dalota models is touch screen. If you prefer a touch screen, go for the Dakota 20. If you don't mind the toggle, go with the Etrex 20 or 30.

I personally like toggles and buttons, not touch screens. That is why I said, "I had a Dakota". I do have a, used one time, still in the box Dakota 20 with a ZAGG screen that I am getting rid of if you would like it.

This is just my personal preference and you should go somewhere and play with the different models.

I personally like toggles and buttons, not touch screens. That is why I said, "I had a Dakota". I do have a, used one time, still in the box Dakota 20 with a ZAGG screen that I am getting rid of if you would like it.

If silverheartemt isn't interested in your Dakota 20, I might be. Do you have a price set?

I started with a Garmin Legend Cx and thought I would keep it forever. Well, I did, but for biking. I saw the Dakota 20, bought one, and love it. Much better with a touch screen than a toggle in my mind. I recently won an Explorist GC, have tried it, but just can't get back into the toggle thing. Right now I have about 3000 virtual caches from all 50 states loaded in, as my dream is to some day retire and start looking for all of them :rolleyes: Or, I may sell it.

My fear with the touch screen is that it will get bumped causing the coordinates to be off (its happened once already). I usually take my little nieces or cousins when I go so I let them hold the GPS while I walk the puppy. Can u lock the screen so it doesn't get bumped or accidentally touched?

Yes