Has the pocket query feature gone mad? (BC, CANADA)

canadazuuk

I did a pocket query for a 30 mile radius around Campbell River, BC

To my shock, I have been returned matches great distances away, as far as Fernie. I have rechecked the query, and it seems fine, definately tagged for 30 miles.

I have also had trouble getting matches to return for an area near Nanaimo BC, also 30 miles. There are hundreds of caches here, and even though I selected ALL tradional caches, I was returned varying quantities, as low as THREE for one search.

Because I initially suspected I would have entered something wrong, I tried 3-4 times for this query, and have exhausted my limit for the day. So I subbed my girlfriend up again (we both used to be Charter members...) just so I could run a new one. We'll see what it returns...

I have figured out one problem. EasyGPS doesn't seem to want to read the pre-spun version of the GPX file properly,and only reads a smallpart of it, so I am getting caches in the PQ.

However, I am still perplexed as to why caches OUTSIDE of the radius are included. In some instances, my PQ's include 1/3 of 500 caches OUTSIDE the radius.

Maybe it sends as many as there are irregardless, until your max qty is filled?

Anyway, I think 750 caches should be enough for the next few days.

I both edited (via clicking 'that' button), and deleted (via starting from scratch). I think I ran about 6 files myself.

Another fellow with PQ ability sent me a version of a Nanaimo file, and it had stray caches in far away lands as well... I deleted 168 waypoints out of 500 that were definately beyond the 30 mile range. What I'll do next is run a PQ set for 350, and see what results I get.

I am not satisfied with the overall result of the gc.com PQ and the third party software that puts them into the PDA.

Here I go to Vancouver Island, loaded up with pages and pages, and I turn on the GPS and start going to waypoints... then it turns out they aren't in the PDA... I try searching by ID and title (and fragments of), but no luck... and yet I have hundreds of results hundreds of miles beyond my 30 mile radius.

So I don't know what to do, other than revert to clear cutting down the forests in order to print the pages that show where the caches are that are hidden in them.

Must be working OK now. I did a PQ (back in 24 minutes) for 30 mile radius of Victoria using coordinates. Ran it through GPX2HTML and Plucker no problem. Got 364 caches which you can see on this S&T map image.

Cheers, Olar

3608_3300.gif

"You are only young once but you can stay immature forever"

quote:
Originally posted by canadazuuk:

I am not satisfied with the overall result of the gc.com PQ and the third party software that puts them into the PDA.

Here I go to Vancouver Island, loaded up with pages and pages, and I turn on the GPS and start going to waypoints... then it turns out they aren't in the PDA... I try searching by ID and title (and fragments of), but no luck... and yet I have hundreds of results hundreds of miles beyond my 30 mile radius.

So I don't know what to do, other than revert to clear cutting down the forests in order to print the pages that show where the caches are that are hidden in them.

There are a lot of 'moving parts' involved with getting the PQs formated in the various ways (GPS, various mapping program formats, PDA) so it's easy to mess up a step. I've created .bat files so that I don't mess them up, but still end up opening the wrong files sometimes.

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

quote:
Originally posted by canadazuuk:

As one of those who wrote a third-party app that helps get the data into the PDA, I suggest that you demand a full refund for the money you spent on the software.

Oh, wait... it was free, wasn't it?

<Roseanne Roseannadanna>Never mind.</Roseanne Roseannadanna>

I'm not saying the apps are bad... I'm just saying I'm not satisfied with the net result of using combinations of them... It was disappointing to arrive at the vicinity of coordinates that were in the GPS, but not to be able to find the cache in the PDA.

I am going to try it again for Bellingham, and see if that works any better. Another well known cacher says he has had specific issues with Vancouver Island PQs. I'm not sure WHY I am having the troubles I am having, but from the outset, I have received caches outside a 30 mile radius when trying to run PQ for Nanaimo and Campbell River.

Cheers...

gee Olar last time i checked Jordan river is 30 miles form victoria so how come your maps showing caches nw of port renfrew at nearing 50 miles?? and to the north 30 miles peters out near Duncan not Ladysmith ...but if Fizzy was running it then i understand totally.......Gg

quote:
Originally posted by Goldguru:

gee Olar last time i checked Jordan river is 30 miles form victoria so how come your maps showing caches nw of port renfrew at nearing 50 miles?? and to the north 30 miles peters out near Duncan not Ladysmith ...but if Fizzy was running it then i understand totally.......Gg

gee Goldguru my apologies. In my haste to demonstrate that all is well with the PQ's I should have been more careful about the location of the actual coords used for the radius centre. I suppose I should have said a 30 mile radius near Victoria.

16852_200.gif

Cheers, Olar

"You are only young once but you can stay immature forever"