Vinyl Coin pages

Arndtwe

I have recently gotten addicted to geocoins, and have started my own collection. It is small, but growing quickly and I wanted to get a binder with those vinyl coin pages that you always see people bring to events and the like.

I just purchased a few pages online and they were a good cost... but they are crap. They feel almost brittle and do not hold onto the coins well. The first time I closed the book (with only one page, 3/4 of the way full), a coin flew out on the table. Luckily it was not one that easily scratches and all is fine.

I guess my question is: which ones are best? Where did you buy yours and what are the specifications? I really need to get some good ones so I can do this the right way. I am thinking something that is made from the same material that individual coins come in (like the pouches from Direct Mint). These are very flexible and a little grabby which keeps the coins securely in place, and will stretch a little to fit those 'fatter' coins. Not really too concerned with cost, but obviously cheaper is better.

I have done a little bit of searching but didn't see anything that I was looking for in the forums here, and everything online has very generic descriptions. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks :)

P.S. The pages that I got are found here

so far i've had the best luck with lead dog...dissapointed with armor brand (they tend to split down the middle) and supersafe didn't hold up well either.

ILYK

That's strange, the ones I got have Lead Dog stamped on them. Maybe they make them in differnt materials. I'll have to do some looking around. What about Mylar? is that stuff better or worse?

Hmmm, further research shows that PVC pages may be best?

Reading from here:

PVC Album Pages

By far the most common album pages on the market, these pages are what you most likely have in your coin albums (shame on you!). They are typically made from thick material (up to 0.2mm thick), are quite stiff, and hold even heavy coins very well. A key thing about PVC to realise is that in it's native state it is not 'soft' or 'flexible', it is in fact a very stiff material with a high modulus of elasticity. Did you know that almost all water pipes and drain pipes in the modern home are made from PVC? Yes the hard brittle white plastic pipes you see on building sites are PVC. So how can soft, flexible coin pages be made from PVC? By the addition of softeners, most typically pthalates. Lets look at some properties of PVC.

Colour: Colourless

Odour: Strong

Elasticity: Limited without softeners, good with softeners

Friction: moderate, can be 'tacky'

PVC album pages are colourless, and quite 'stretchy' and soft. They are not difficult to tear especially when trying to get a 2x2 into an undersized pocket. A key indicator of PVC album pages is the odour. If you've ever opened a new inflatable pool toy you know what this smell is, it is very distinctive and is a combination of the PVC itself and the added softeners. Another indication of a PVC page is in the marketing of the page itself, if it is described as 'soft' then it's almost certainly a PVC page.

This sound like just what I am looking for... maybe. I don't really know though. Will these cause problems over time? Will any of the chemicals harm the coins? What are the downsides of PVC other than the smell? If none, then this looks like a winner material. Before I go that route though, can anyone add some personal and or technical experience?

the mylar coin flips don't tend to corrode the coins as badly as vinyl, but with the newer coins I haven't really noticed the corrosion problems like in the older coins (with the exception of copper coins....anyone else care to comment...i know there have been other posts on this topic, but it's been a while...is the jury still out on the need for mylar flips?) i also use Avery 5248 - clear mailing seals to keep the coins and flips from sliding out, but if you plan on letting people handle your coins (shudder,) you have to tear them to remove the coin and flip...coins on the top row of coin pages will certainly sprout wings and fly away without something to hold them in place...clear tape (like package sealing tape,) works also.

for the actual binders, my preference has been pro platinum from mead (available from your local mega mart at the beginning of school season, but occasionally dissapearing soon after, so i tend to buy 4 or 5 at a time (doesn't everyone?)

good luck with your addiction...with just a little commone sense i'm sure you'll learn to control it just like me :blink: .

ILYK
Edited by drneal

the mylar coin flips don't tend to corrode the coins as badly as vinyl, but with the newer coins I haven't really noticed the corrosion problems like in the older coins (with the exception of copper coins....anyone else care to comment...i know there have been other posts on this topic, but it's been a while...is the jury still out on the need for mylar flips?) i also use Avery 5248 - clear mailing seals to keep the coins and flips from sliding out, but if you plan on letting people handle your coins (shudder,) you have to tear them to remove the coin and flip...coins on the top row of coin pages will certainly sprout wings and fly away without something to hold them in place...clear tape (like package sealing tape,) works also.

for the actual binders, my preference has been pro platinum from mead (available from your local mega mart at the beginning of school season, but occasionally dissapearing soon after, so i tend to buy 4 or 5 at a time (doesn't everyone?)

good luck with your addiction...with just a little commone sense i'm sure you'll learn to control it just like me :blink: .

ILYK

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: