Feature Request: Linked accounts

Wolfiesden

I don't think this is possible currently but I might have missed it.

What I am looking for is something similar to the Xbox Live family package. You can have 4 memberships all in the package. One master account that pays/manages them. Child accounts can be managed by the master.

I would like something like this feature here. I see a lot of family activity here and I want to get into that too. My GD11 is very interested in caching with me (and by herself too or with her girl scout troop or neighbors). I looked for a way to sign her up under my account so she can get credit for her finds. Other than setting up a totally independent account, I saw nothing I could do. I would like to link her with me so I can monitor and properly govern her activities.

What options do I have to do family activities? What do other families do here? All log under a single account or do each of you have your own account?

I "monitor and properly govern" my three kids' geocaching and Waymarking logs, and they each have their own accounts. All of us can share the same email account, which means I can monitor any messages they receive from other geocachers. It works very well.

How did you sign up here with the same emails? Doesn't the email here have to be unique?

In any event, I monitor the girls as well. I own my own email server and they have their own email addresses but I get copies of every message received or sent from any of their accounts. They have strict rules as to where and what they do on the internet. This site is clearly child friendly but that doesn't mean there can't be things or people to be careful of.

They are responsible kids or I wouldn't allow them here so thats not an issue.

I am simply trying to follow the rules and I can't seem to find any regarding families or kids other than in the TOS:

By using the Site, you represent and warrant that you are 18 years of age or older, or under the supervision of your parent or legal guardian. If we believe that you are under 18 years of age and not under the supervision of your parent or legal guardian, please be advised that your account may be terminated without warning.

She is, obviously, under 18 but is under my supervision. I don't want her account suspended for being under 18 and using geocaching.com, say when they are out with a group from the neighborhood without me or out with her girl scout troop and she logs a cache.

So, how do you go about monitoring your kid's logs here? Are there settings somewhere I can flip on to allow me to do that properly?

We have four accounts under the same email. I just confirmed this by stating in the "log-in" that I can't remember my username. It asked for my email address, then told me all four geocaching names/accounts associated with that email address.

By having my kids' accounts set up on my email address, I can keep track of ALL messages they are receiving. That's about all I feel I need to watch.

She is, obviously, under 18 but is under my supervision. I don't want her account suspended for being under 18 and using geocaching.com, say when they are out with a group from the neighborhood without me or out with her girl scout troop and she logs a cache.

I highly doubt this website (or any other website for that matter) is going to go out searching for accounts set up by minors, just to shut them down. Rather, that section of the TOU gives them something to cite when a problem arises that brings the account to their attention. If your kids are using the site responsibly, there is nothing to worry about.

I'm pretty sure that is no longer possible. Those set up more than a year or two ago will continue to function, but if you try it today you'll get an "email not unique" error or something like that.

Ahhh. Didn't know about that change since our accounts were set up years ago! Under the current rules, then, I would set up the kids accounts using an additional account that I could check for them. Much more work that way, though!

I am simply surprised that in this family oriented hobby, there is no convenient way to deal with this. I am just floored that there are so many family groups doing this with no family based controls/accounts here. I was hoping that someone would say I simply missed some checkbox somewhere.

Oh well. Will sign her up and let it go at that.

How will she log entries to premium caches? I have a paid account and will be leading the group but how will she be able to mark her find?

I "monitor and properly govern" my three kids' geocaching and Waymarking logs, and they each have their own accounts. All of us can share the same email account, which means I can monitor any messages they receive from other geocachers. It works very well.

How did you sign up here with the same emails? Doesn't the email here have to be unique?

In any event, I monitor the girls as well. I own my own email server and they have their own email addresses but I get copies of every message received or sent from any of their accounts. They have strict rules as to where and what they do on the internet. This site is clearly child friendly but that doesn't mean there can't be things or people to be careful of.

They are responsible kids or I wouldn't allow them here so thats not an issue.

I am simply trying to follow the rules and I can't seem to find any regarding families or kids other than in the TOS:

By using the Site, you represent and warrant that you are 18 years of age or older, or under the supervision of your parent or legal guardian. If we believe that you are under 18 years of age and not under the supervision of your parent or legal guardian, please be advised that your account may be terminated without warning.

So, how do you go about monitoring your kid's logs here? Are there settings somewhere I can flip on to allow me to do that properly?

We have four accounts under the same email. I just confirmed this by stating in the "log-in" that I can't remember my username. It asked for my email address, then told me all four geocaching names/accounts associated with that email address.

By having my kids' accounts set up on my email address, I can keep track of ALL messages they are receiving. That's about all I feel I need to watch.

If you are using Gmail, there is one way. Say your email address is geocacher@gmail.com. Sign up for your account with that. Then say one other family member is bob. Sign up with geocacher+bob@gmail.com. All email sent to geocacher+bob@gmail.com will be forwarded to geocacher@gmail.com, without creating a second account. See here for more info, and for ways for other email providers. Linky