Favorites count out of step

Xira

I just noticed a problem with my favorite points count.

When I log find #xxxA, the system tells me I'll get my next favourite point in B more caches. A+B=10. It's kind of a handy of way of being sure I'm keeping my count correct.

Recently, I got out of step somehow. I'm at 1078 (all distinct finds, no duplicates) so I should need 2 more caches, but my profile is telling me I need 3 more. How did I get out of step?

I have a vague memory of deleting a 'found it' log and resubmitting it. If I did do that, that should not count as a duplicate log.

Regardless of how it happened, can something be done to get me back in step, please?

I don't think it has anything to do with events. Contrary to what has been said, events do count toward favourite points (see http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=287) Certainly, the few events I've attended have never messed up my counts before. What is true is that you cannot assign favourites to them.

Thank you,

Xira

In order to prevent gaming of the system, no progress toward a new favorite point is granted for a find posted to any cache that you have ever logged a find on before, even if that find has been archived.

Thank you, but I'm afraid that doesn't say anything to me.

1. What is "gaming of the system"?

2. Can you tell me what cache I deleted a found log for? I can't find anything to help me find that for myself.

3. I'd like to understand how this counting works. Let's say I have made 26 finds. So I need to find 4 more for the next favourite point. I delete a 'found it' log. I'm back to 25 finds. Does the system now think I need 4 or 5 more caches for the next point? I'm guessing it puts me back to 5. So it keeps me in step if I'm going backwards. But when I submit another 'found it' for that same cache (which will be the only found log for that cache, not a duplicate), my find count goes back to 26, but I don't regain my progress towards favourite points. Is this correct, or is something different happening?

Thank you.

In order to prevent gaming of the system, no progress toward a new favorite point is granted for a find posted to any cache that you have ever logged a find on before, even if that find has been archived.

Thank you, but I'm afraid that doesn't say anything to me.

1. What is "gaming of the system"?

2. Can you tell me what cache I deleted a found log for? I can't find anything to help me find that for myself.

3. I'd like to understand how this counting works. Let's say I have made 26 finds. So I need to find 4 more for the next favourite point. I delete a 'found it' log. I'm back to 25 finds. Does the system now think I need 4 or 5 more caches for the next point? I'm guessing it puts me back to 5. So it keeps me in step if I'm going backwards. But when I submit another 'found it' for that same cache (which will be the only found log for that cache, not a duplicate), my find count goes back to 26, but I don't regain my progress towards favourite points. Is this correct, or is something different happening?

Thank you.

Gaming the system would be logging and deleting the same 10 caches over and over again to gain favorite points. Once you end up deleting the 10 caches the last time you left with a nice number of favorite points and the correct find count. The system will not allow this.

If you had 26 finds and logged one in error so you delete the find. Your back to 25 finds. You would need to log 5 more to get a favorite point. However in logging the 5 caches you now correctly log the one you previously deleted you would have 30 finds but will need to have one more find to get the favorite point since one of the finds was a previous find that was deleted. I think I understood it correctly, if not Moun10bike will correct me.

Gaming the system would be logging and deleting the same 10 caches over and over again to gain favorite points. Once you end up deleting the 10 caches the last time you left with a nice number of favorite points and the correct find count. The system will not allow this.

If you had 26 finds and logged one in error so you delete the find. Your back to 25 finds. You would need to log 5 more to get a favorite point. However in logging the 5 caches you now correctly log the one you previously deleted you would have 30 finds but will need to have one more find to get the favorite point since one of the finds was a previous find that was deleted. I think I understood it correctly, if not Moun10bike will correct me.

Continuing with the situation of having 26 finds which means I have 3 favourite points and I need to log 4 more finds to earn the next favourite point. Suppose I log finds on 10 caches. I’ll now have 4 favourite points and still need to log 4 caches to earn the next. Now I delete those 10 logs. How many favourite points do I have?

No, with 26 finds you have 2 favorite points. You don't have 3 favorite points until you have logged 30 caches you have not logged before. You need to log four more finds to get 3 favorite points. But if you start at 26 finds and 2 favorite points and log 10 more caches you now have 36 finds and 3 favorite points. If you decide to delete 10 finds you will be back to 26 finds and 3 favorite points. In order to get another favorite point you now need to log 14 new caches since the 10 you deleted won't get you more points. It sort of sounds like you were gaming the system and can't figure out how you got caught. If you offer me a good price I'll sell you a couple hundred spare points.

1. With 26 finds, I would have 3, yes 3, favourite points. The first point comes from being a premium member. See here.

2. If I lose a point when I delete 10 find logs, how can I be gaming the system? Instead, I'm behind since I can never regain that lost point.

Mine have always been kinda a mess. Every now and then they've stopped accumulating.

You've found 1305 caches (1305 distinct) since your first cache find on 09/17/2009.

6 Favorite points remaining

Logs Until Next Favorite Point: 10

Total Favorite Points: 129

So I need 1315 logs to get to 130 fav points. With the free point for being a PM I should have 131 points and 5 more logs needed for my next.

I just always assumed it had to do with webcams or virtuals...

I actually use my fav points, and I don't mind that I'm 2 below....but it's odd how they accumulate for me.

I know I've accidently logged the wrong cache before and then actually found that cache later. Innocent mistake. Also. I think events play into the number as well somehow.

Either way, I don't worry about it as I have handed out just about 50% of mine. Sometimes it is difficult to find a cache worthy of one. Somedays - they all deserve one.