Weird forum behavior using a Mac

Plank

icon_frown.gif

I am experiencing weird forum behavior with both Internet Explorer and Safari on my Mac. The New/Find/My Space/Notify/Tools toolbar floats off in space. The links don't always work also. The login doesn't always work. Also, what happened to "today's active topics"?

No problems here with my Mac, using Explorer 5.1. I do have to log on, so I should check that preference. Occasionally I get a thread where the text is in a long bar down only a quarter of the width of the page, but's that's all. Everything else seems good...

"All of us are standing in the mud, but some of us are looking at the stars." Oscar Wilde

I'm usually on either OmniWeb, Safari or iCab and the forums act poorly on all of them. The pages look very Windoze-like with pesky pop-up windows and odd formatting. I get logged out often, as well. It seems the fancier the programmers try to get, the less functional the web pages become. I wonder if they test the changes on different browsers or just assume everyone is using Exploder.

I'm on Netscrape 7 running Mac OS X. The only problem I've found so far is when you type in the search box, you can't see what you've typed. Other than that, the forums just look kind of clunky and very windoze like. What do you want in a Windoze World?

quote:
Originally posted by Plank:

The New/Find/My Space/Notify/Tools toolbar floats off in space. The links don't always work also.

I am experiencing the same issues as you (IE 5 on Mac OS 10.2.4).

Another thing is the pull-down list of other forums that you used to access at the bottom of subforums. You know the one: so that you did no thave to jump back to the main list each time you wanted to jump to another section. This post below does not hold true for me.

quote:
Originally posted by mtn-man in another thread:

The Pull down list is now on the little house icon at the top and bottom of each page http://ubbx.Groundspeak.com/infopop/images3/misc/breadcrumb_forum.gif . Just click it and you will see them. The globe icon has the "new since your last visit" link.

Furthermore, have you used the minus sign to compress forums?

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell on another thread:

Once you have the page the way you'd like it, click the "Tools" and then "Save Page Preferences". It's not a dynamic thing, it's a default thing.

This is not working for me. I can compress and decompress using the minus and plus but I cannot get anything to happen when I click on "Save Page Preferences" - I guess the javascript isn't, uh, "taking."

Can someone else who uses a Mac let me know what they are finding with these features? Maybe it's just me.

-----

You must be present to win.

[This message was edited by MissJenn on April 02, 2003 at 09:43 AM.]

For me, the forums just look completely different depending on what browser I'm using. I wonder if one of these just reflects a different style used by iCab (as if it isn't compatible with the new forums and uses different, maybe non-java or non-something, code provided by the site. This browswer is still a bit rough around the edges and often doesn't render pages very well). I have attached 2 screenshots; Explorer's is more 'green' while iCab's is blue and a completely different style:

exp.jpg

ica.jpg

...Not all who wander are lost... unless the batteries in their GPS die, their maps get ruined by rainwater when their pack leaks, and they find themselves in a laurel thicket. Then, they are probably lost.

[This message was edited by someonenameddave on April 02, 2003 at 05:06 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by someonenameddave:

For me, the forums just look completely different depending on what browser I'm using. I wonder if one of these just reflects a different style used by iCab...

iCab is an excellent browser that I've enjoyed for years (the perpetual beta release!) although it has limitations and is not especially forgiving of sloppy or proprietary HTML programming. I stopped trying to use it with geocaching.com long ago; iCab's error report shows hundreds of problems with some of the pages.

OmniWeb is another good browser that I like to use but, like iCab, it isn't real happy with the latest cascading style sheets and other features that many programmers experiment with. It renders the forum pages much like iCab although it interpretes the color properly:

OmniWeb.jpg

Then there's Safari which I've been using recently and like a lot. The new forum pages look Ok but some features such as the drop-down menu selections don't work:

Safari.jpg

It would be great if more programmers treated this as a challenge and made good sites that worked on minority browsers. Certainly most forums work fine so it can be done.