When does swag become trash?

SRL&JTL

I've found some caches in PA lately that have swag in them that are more trash than swag. I mean broken or dirty silly bands, stickers that are wet, torn, or damaged, rubber bands, dirty fake flowers, crunched up leaves, etc. Just junk. I read recently some good ideas for swag and I've started leaving sunglasses clips in my wake - nice, new, still in the package.

So my question is - if you find a cache and it's got that old junk "swag" in it, is it okay to remove it? I don't think anyone will ever want any of that stuff, so I would think if no one cleans it out it'll just stay there forever inviting others to leave equally junky stuff.

Thoughts!

Items that are obviously beyond use, it is generally considered acceptable to remove (CITO) them from the cache. Some of these things, left wet go rusty or moldy and affect all other items in the cache. Broken stuff probably fits the criteria also. Rusty and leaky batteries are a hazard, they should also be removed.

Do remember though, 'one man's junk is another man's treasure'.

Remove the obvious garbage, sticks, stones (unless polished or a nice mineral or crystal) leaves, bubbles, and anything scented or food items, anything moldy or rusty. The cache owner will thank you. I doubt anyone would mind. I wouldn't mind it on my caches at all, as a matter of fact, please do! :)