Looking for power caching area in TO

ECplus3

I'm going to be in Toronto at the end of the month and would like to get out and do some caching. Caches are relatively sparse in the Bay and Dundas area, but I will have a rental. Are there any parks or other areas rich with caches that I could park once and spend the day roaming?

If you're in the Bay and Dundas area, you can spend the day exploring without needing the car.

One of the areas I consider a highlight of the city is the Toronto Island ferry docks. Take the subway to Union station, then the streetcar link from there to Queen's Quay. Walk from there to the island ferry docks, and spend the day out walking on the Toronto Islands. There are currently seven active caches on the islands.

A more strenuous walk would be to take the subway to Castle Frank station. Follow the side streets over to GC2GXJC Acorn. From there, you can follow the Don Valley trail system upstream towards GC329NG JB's Sunnybrook Park Cache. The park system forks in several different directions along the way, and there are a couple of dozen caches scattered throughout the various branches.

Ferry information can be found at: here

Toronto transit information can be found here

Toronto Parks maps can be found here

I would speak to the cache density in and near Sunnybrook park but it could be (legitimately) construed as shameless self-promotion: http://coord.info/map?ll=43.73253,-79.37176&z=14

I will definitely have to make it over to do your series! If any of them are large enough to hold a geocoin I'll release my final few ISAF and Remembrance Poppy coins there.

I'll try to do Toronto Island too.

I fly in early Sunday so will have most of the day to do some caching. I fly out late the following Saturday so that's a few hours too. The caches around my hotel will be picked off in ones and twos during the week after work.

One thing to note about the Toronto Island, usually you can take the ferry to Wards ir Hanlan`s, do the caches all the way to the other end and get a ferry back to the mainland`from the opposite end. This is not possible in the "winter months". Which is until April 14. Until then you will have to do the ferry to Wards Island, walk all the way to Hanlans and back to get the Wards Island Ferry agin.

If you have a car and you can drive then I wouyld recommend coming out to the Rouge River, it is not a power trail, just a nice area with lots of caches and plenty of places to walk. Look at this cache for one trailhead:GCT1C7 On a sunday it is probably a 20 minute drive.

I finished 14/16 caches in the VC series on Sunday. One DNF and didn't complete one of the multicaches. Also picked off a couple of other nearby caches and had a generally wonderful time here.

I saw there is a good concentration of geocaches in the Richmod Hill area, but don't know what traffic would be like heading out that way from downtown at 5:00pm. If it is really bad, I imagine I could end up getting there with very little daylight left to get much caching in.

I imagine I'll just explore the downtown during the week and if the weather cooperates I'll head somewhere Saturday before I fly out.

Loving Toronto so far!

let me know if you want a 'guided tour' of downtown toronto caches. the green geotruck and i are free afternoons after 2pm.

I finished 14/16 caches in the VC series on Sunday. One DNF and didn't complete one of the multicaches. Also picked off a couple of other nearby caches and had a generally wonderful time here.

I saw there is a good concentration of geocaches in the Richmod Hill area, but don't know what traffic would be like heading out that way from downtown at 5:00pm. If it is really bad, I imagine I could end up getting there with very little daylight left to get much caching in.

I imagine I'll just explore the downtown during the week and if the weather cooperates I'll head somewhere Saturday before I fly out.

Loving Toronto so far!