Changes in SA District Municipalities

TechnoNut

I have recently discovered that some SA District Municipalities have had their borders changed. Some have also been renamed, and these boundaries and names no longer agree with the names used by GSAK. e.g. Alfred Nzo (Eastern Cape) now extends to the sea, and instead of there only being one cache in that "county" there are now at least three (two of them mine). There are other changes as well.

Does anyone have access to the boundary files for the SA District Municipalities - either shapefiles or gpx files. I will do an update job and send to GSAK.

PT

I have recently discovered that some SA District Municipalities have had their borders changed. Some have also been renamed, and these boundaries and names no longer agree with the names used by GSAK. e.g. Alfred Nzo (Eastern Cape) now extends to the sea, and instead of there only being one cache in that "county" there are now at least three (two of them mine). There are other changes as well.

Does anyone have access to the boundary files for the SA District Municipalities - either shapefiles or gpx files. I will do an update job and send to GSAK.

PT

Jors is the man to speak to - he created the original municipality mapset.

PT

OK, more on this - I asked the Municipal Demarcation Board for the latest (Dec 2011) shapefiles and they sent them to me (and within 30 min - some departments still work!! :) ). I have now massaged these into GSAK polygon format and sent them off to Clyde.

It appears we now have 52 counties - 44 Districts and 8 Metros. See the table below.

I have the following data available - please PM me if you want any of the data.

1) Excel spreadsheet or Provinces and their counties (22K)

2) Shapefile data for all provinces (7 MB)

3) Above, converted to gpx and gdb (can be opened in Mapsource) (gpx - 46 MB, gdb - 14 MB)

4) GSAK polygon data (4 MB)

sacounties.jpg

Edited by TechnoNut

I've received some queries regarding the latest changes in the FindStatGen Map of the South African District Municipalities incorporating the recent name- and boundary changes.

These changes in the boundary data and map broke things a little, and if the updates are not done, you'll be generating a new map using old data, which doesn't quite work as it should.

Three parts need updating, in three simple steps.

1. Gsak

2. County field in GSAK

3. Map definition file

1. Updating Gsak

Boundary data is linked to the Gsak version, and from version 8.1.1.20 onwards, the updated South African boundary data is automatically downloaded. It is therefore neccesary to get Gsak version 8.1.1.20 or later but while you're at it, getting the currently latest version would do no harm.

Get version 8.1.1.27 here.

2. Update the County field in GSAK

i) When loading a new set of PQ's, in the County Update box of the Load GPX/Loc/ZIP File dialogue box, type "Y" (without the quotes). On loading the PQ, all the caches in that PQ or group of PQ's will then be updated to contain the new names.

-OR-

ii) For the whole database at once, without loading a PQ:

Copy the lines of text below and paste into a text editor, Save as UpdateDistrictM.gsk, install the macro and run it.

#####--BEGIN--#####

#**************************************************************

# MacDescription = District Municipality Update (County Field)

# MacFileName = UpdateDM.gsk

# MacAuthor = Jors

# MacVersion=1

# MacUrl=

#***************************************************************

$Counties=GetCounty("y")

MSGOK msg= County Updates=$Counties

#####--END--#####

3. Download the new Map Definition File for FSG

i) In Gsak, Ctrl-M, then run FindStatGen3.gsk -or- FindStatGen43Beta.gsk

ii) click Options, Maps, Install Map data file from Gsak

iii) Scroll to and select South African District Municipalities

iv) Install, click OK and let FSG run.

This will replace the existing map definition file with the new one.

Voila!

I've received some queries regarding the latest changes in the FindStatGen Map of the South African District Municipalities incorporating the recent name- and boundary changes.

These changes in the boundary data and map broke things a little, and if the updates are not done, you'll be generating a new map using old data, which doesn't quite work as it should.

Just to add a little to this ...

Jors pointed out to me that a few coastal caches now no longer have a state or county (province/district) as they fall (just) outside of the new polygons. Over the next week or so I will be 'tweaking' the province and district polygons so that these caches fall within a state / county. Once that is done GSAK will be updated again, so you will need to do another update ;).

I'm new to Gsak. I've been trying to get Gsak to recognise the various districts in SA. I've followed most of the instructions and downloaded all the files but I still cannot get Gsak to recognise the areas under county.

Can someone help? (I'm not that computer literate either :blink::))

)

When you do the import you need to link the areas to each import.

On the "Load GPX" screen there is a "County Update", and "State Update" text box.

For Country update enter "YB"

For State Update enter "SB"

For more info select help, and then in the help file click on each text box for more info.

Best thing to do is save these settings (Bottom few buttons) then it will redo each time you load GPX files.

I have run the Macro FindStatGen3.gsk and have found the following four discrepancies in Counties.

GC166YN Wind Dance = Lesotho cache - County listed as Sisonke being a KZN county

The folowing three are North West Caches and listed as West Rand County which are not are the current list of Counties.

GCQ1V1 Danie Theron Memorial

GC1K326 Mining Series 5 - "Great Lion"

GC1NC20 Leslie Williams Memorial +

Apologies for posting this on the forum, but was not sure as to who would make these corrections.

I have run the Macro FindStatGen3.gsk and have found the following four discrepancies in Counties.

Yep there are a few of these - mainly the fault of the Demarcation Board, who do not have the county/provincial boundaries synchronised.

And in the case of Wind Dance, the country/province and ocunty borderlines are not in synch. Another is the church cache at Van Reenen. There could be more.

There are also some coastal caches which to not belong to a province or municipal district because they are "out to sea".

To correct these border lines is a manual exercise - quite a lengthy (and horrible) one. I am busy with it.

PT

Yep there are a few of these - mainly the fault of the Demarcation Board, who do not have the county/provincial boundaries synchronised.

And in the case of Wind Dance, the country/province and ocunty borderlines are not in synch. Another is the church cache at Van Reenen. There could be more.

There are also some coastal caches which to not belong to a province or municipal district because they are "out to sea".

To correct these border lines is a manual exercise - quite a lengthy (and horrible) one. I am busy with it.

PT

OK. Thanks

Update 14 August 2012.

There was an error in the Gauteng / North West common boundaries (not my error - it was bad data from the Demarcation Board). This data has now been corrected. It affects caches in the West Rand and Dr Kenneth Kaunda counties, as pointed out by iPajero.

I have also 'tweaked' the coastal polygons to ensure that some caches placed very close to the sea now fall inside the boundary lines, so there should be no more 'orphan' caches without counties.

Two caches on the border with Lesotho should also now be corrected.

GSAK now incorporates the latest data (Version 8.1.1.104) which can be downloaded here.

My data also indicates that there are two caches which Groundspeak lists in the incorrect province. I am not sure how to fix this, but will be contacting GS to try and resolve the issue. The caches are GC3GE58 (shown as Free State, should be KZN) and GC1FY35 (shown as North West, should be Gauteng). There may be others - if there are, please let me know. I may also be wrong - it has happened before :). Let me know gently ....

In order to fix and update your GSAK database, follow the guidelines from Jors in this post.

If there are any problems, please get back to me via a PM or in this thread.

Update 14 August 2012.

My data also indicates that there are two caches which Groundspeak lists in the incorrect province. I am not sure how to fix this, but will be contacting GS to try and resolve the issue. The caches are GC3GE58 (shown as Free State, should be KZN) and GC1FY35 (shown as North West, should be Gauteng). There may be others - if there are, please let me know. I may also be wrong - it has happened before :). Let me know gently ....

My understanding is that the CO needs to change this manually.

Update 14 August 2012.

My understanding is that the CO needs to change this manually.

Yup. After thinking about it, I realised that it is the CO sets the province. GS only makes a 'suggestion'. I will try and contact the COs to fix their caches.

Thanks for letting me know gently :)

Can someone help please …… The GSAK macro called FSGPlugin_FirstCacheByState.gsk was run for “First Cache by County” and the following discrepancies popped up. Is there a way to correct this situation?

Sekhukhune [Mpumalanga] GCYDB2 Dankbare nageslag

Sekhukhune [Limpopo] GC16VR6 A beautiful garden can be seen.

Thabo Mofutsanyane [Free State] GCY1NM Memel Escarpment

Thabo Mofutsanyane [Mpumalanga] GC14KN0 Roodedraai School Road

Sisonke [Kwazulu Natal] GC1Z4YQ Yellow Wood Holy Trinity Church

Sisonke [None] GC166YN Wind Dance