Zero less then One

captnemo

Checking my stat page I have zero finds for caches less then one mile from my home coordinates. The only cache under a mile is one I helped place and latter adopted.

Sort of a sock pupet account setting up a cache and then finding it or getting a local to hide one I don't know how to change this.

I am just wondering if anyone else has this situation? :blink:

Checking my stat page I have zero finds for caches less then one mile from my home coordinates. The only cache under a mile is one I helped place and latter adopted.

Sort of a sock pupet account setting up a cache and then finding it or getting a local to hide one I don't know how to change this.

Too bad you are in So Cal, I would hide one for you. :laughing:

My closest was and still is 0.2 miles.

I can beat that!

My closest-to-home was (until it was recently archived) 0 horizontal feet from where I sleep. 0 metres, 0.000 miles, 0 kilometres. If you really want to get technical, it was about 7 vertical metres away. It was one of those caches "hidden" inside a business that slipped through the reviewer cracks, and it was hidden in the business directly below my condo unit.

And yes, I did get FTF! :laughing:

As for the OP's "problem", I guess you live in a cache-poor area. I'm a bit spoiled here, because my area is pretty much saturated, and I didn't have to try very hard to get 25 finds within 1 km.

Oh gosh. Suburbanite here, with a County Park .3 miles from my house, and an abandoned, but not official Rails to trails line, even closer. There are 12 active caches under a mile away. This thread just had a positive impact on the Geocaching world, thanks for posting it! I just dropped an SBA on a long missing abandoned cache .9 miles away, hidden by a 12 yr. old or so kid. :P

I wouldn't call it a problem. If an area isn't up to supporting a decent cache I wouldn't force a cache in there just for the sake of having a cache there. I had to travel over 40 miles to find my first, and closest at the time, cache. I've lived on a couple of military bases and you know the rules about placing caches there. You could always move. When I had the most caches closest to me was when I lived on an island. Although there were the drastic elevation changes to deal with.

You didn't post any details about the area around where you live. However if you feel that it can support a cache have you tried introducing someone to geocaching, mentoring them for a bit, then when they are ready to place their first cache suggesting an area close to your home. If you have a geocaching club in your area you can scout out areas near your home and then present them to the club. I am sure there are some club members who would appreciate some advanced location scouting.

I wouldn't call it a problem. If an area isn't up to supporting a decent cache I wouldn't force a cache in there just for the sake of having a cache there. I had to travel over 40 miles to find my first, and closest at the time, cache. I've lived on a couple of military bases and you know the rules about placing caches there. You could always move. When I had the most caches closest to me was when I lived on an island. Although there were the drastic elevation changes to deal with.

You didn't post any details about the area around where you live. However if you feel that it can support a cache have you tried introducing someone to geocaching, mentoring them for a bit, then when they are ready to place their first cache suggesting an area close to your home. If you have a geocaching club in your area you can scout out areas near your home and then present them to the club. I am sure there are some club members who would appreciate some advanced location scouting.

It's not a problem just interested in others situations. I live in the Mojave Desert, open country and there are lots of places close by that would support a cache, includeing one I help place and latter adopted under a mile away it would go against my grain to log it as a find.. Can't move as I could not afford the support payments plus I really love the peace and quiet, open space and warm winters.

captnemo If I ever make it out there and get to teach my daughter about caching I will hide one close to you. She lives in Barstow. Keep looking at your area and telling myself I would have a field day out there.

That would be cool I'm about 25 miles from Barstow. PS the weather is nice this time of year!! :D

I have 13 less then a mile.

My statistics are a little mess having moved about two hundred miles from my home town since I started caching and changed my "home" location.

I am looking forward to getting a cache 1000+ miles away in a few weeks when I go to Maryland for a conference for work. I will definitely be making some time to go caching!

I have 13 less then a mile.

My statistics are a little mess having moved about two hundred miles from my home town since I started caching and changed my "home" location.

I am looking forward to getting a cache 1000+ miles away in a few weeks when I go to Maryland for a conference for work. I will definitely be making some time to go caching!

I was quite surprised to discover that there are 32 caches within 1 mile of my house. That area covers most of the city in which I live and also a large area with a liberal policy on placing caches on their property.

I've found 31 caches over 1000 miles away (on three different continents) with 3 over 5000 miles away.