Numbers labeling caches on Map

moleniacz

Trying to plan the next event for my students upcoming day geocaching and I'm having a hard time with the new maps.

I can't seem to find a way to get ID numbers to show up in a map, next to the cache symbol like they used to. Without these, it is very cumbersome organizing things w/out printing a map and then literally hand marking each cache.

Is this feature really gone? Or am I missing something?

Thanks,

Matt

You can also display pocket query results on the map, and reference the cache list that appears in the side panel.

That's what I'd like, but what I'm missing is the number that used to match up w/ the cache list items and could (after putting a check in the box) have appear in the map itself next to the symbol. That way when I see a symbol on a printed map, I could tell by the number what cache I was looking at.

hmm.

Thanks

Matt

I really miss having the option to display the cache names. I've been printing out the map and then writing in the names by hand. Not very efficient. This seems like it should be a pretty basic feature but from the sounds of it, there aren't any plans to bring it back any time soon.

I really miss having the option to display the cache names. I've been printing out the map and then writing in the names by hand. Not very efficient. This seems like it should be a pretty basic feature but from the sounds of it, there aren't any plans to bring it back any time soon.

Dang, was hoping it was just me missing something since that seems like a very integral feature for anyone who like to take a printed map out into the field.

Thanks for the help folks. Hopefully the inadequacies in this new mapping will be addressed at some point. It most certainly doesn't seem like an upgrade at this time. Even printing the maps doesn't come out right anymore despite my print preview settings. Ugh.

Try CacheMagnet it puts the GC code next to the cache on the map. It also will strip off the GC if you have a older generation GPS with only 6 characters, go to File> Transform. If there are any characters left it adds the terrain difficulty on the end.

Thanks. Tried downloading that but it is not supported on a 64-bit operating system like I have.

Taking a group for a day caching on 4/20, so I'll keep playing around and hopefully figure something out before then.

Edited by moleniacz

If you use GSAK, there is a macro.

If you liked the old original maps (like me), there is a GSAK macro.

Go here:

http://gsak.net/board/index.php?showtopic=5477

At the bottom, you can download myGMEv3.gsk

My macros go in:

C:\Users\Kris\AppData\Roaming\gsak\Macros

In GSAK, Macro>Run/Manage

I installed it. I ran it. It was quick to display the webpage.

I had some problems getting the caches I wanted to display, but it may just be me not knowing this macro. I'm a GSAK beginner as well. I only do basic things.

That GSAK macro did the trick for us. We actually find the GSAK macro produces a more useful map than the one we once were able to get through the google maps on the GC website. After using the macro a few times, you will see some tweaks that you can use which might make it even more useful. In order to print the map, we take a screen shot and then paste the screenshot in Word. Works every time. We get a numbered list of cache names and matching numbers on the map.

Edited by wigoweb

That GSAK macro did the trick for us. We actually find the GSAK macro produces a more useful map than the one we once were able to get through the google maps on the GC website. After using the macro a few times, you will see some tweaks that you can use which might make it even more useful. In order to print the map, we take a screen shot and then paste the screenshot in Word. Works every time. We get a numbered list of cache names and matching numbers on the map.

So now we have Google Advanced Maps according to the Newsletter.

Still no corresponding numbers on the PQ list and map so the Google Advanced Maps are as useless as the MapQuest ones.

I can't use GSAK since I use a Mac.

Will the numbers ever come back???

Thx!

Edited by sanmann