Transfer NT City Navigator from my Mac to my Garmin

mike808

I cannot transfer NT City Navigator (Europe) from my Mac to my Garmin etrex 20.

I have installed the latest version of Base Camp on my my Mac (using Mac OS 10.5.8)

I am using Safari as instructed.

I have successfully installed NT City Navigator on the Mac and the map comes up fine when I click on Base Camp.

I have downloaded Mapinstaller as instructed.

I have connected my new Garmin etrex 20 to the Mac using the USB cable.

Now what do I have to do to transfer the map from my Mac to my Garmin? It is supposed to be so easy but I just can't see what I am doing wrong.

I have tried the Transfer pull-down option from the Base Camp Menu across the top of the page.

If I choose Send I get a window with my Garmin device correctly selected, and 5 options - - routes, tracks, view points & photos, Garmin custom Maps and Send Maps with Mapinstall. This last option seems the most likely but I only get the Cancel box highlighted and the Send is not offered.

Please can somebody help? I am sure that there must be instructions for something as obvious as this, but I can't find them. (I apologise if this entry comes up twice but I'm still finding my way round the site.)

Have you highlighted any of the maps you want to send? I use map source but it should be similar to base camp. The first thing you need to do is bring up the map you want to copy onto your device. Then zoom way out so you can see all the tiles of the map. Select, by highlighting, all the tiles you want to move over to your unit. Now select send to unit. All done.

A few things to remember:

First, there is a lmaximum amount of tiles you can send to your unit (unless that has changed and someone can point that out) but I do not remember the number.

Second, the transfer rate will be much faster if you can send the maps directly to the SD card via a reader vs directly to the unit. Sending them to the unit is a very slow process.

Third, select all the maps you want to send because, unless this has changed, if you keep adding maps you will overwrite the maps you previously installed every time you add new maps. You will need to send them all at one time.

This is all I can think of right now. Good luck.

Have you highlighted any of the maps you want to send? I use map source but it should be similar to base camp. The first thing you need to do is bring up the map you want to copy onto your device. Then zoom way out so you can see all the tiles of the map. Select, by highlighting, all the tiles you want to move over to your unit. Now select send to unit. All done.

A few things to remember:

First, there is a lmaximum amount of tiles you can send to your unit (unless that has changed and someone can point that out) but I do not remember the number.

Second, the transfer rate will be much faster if you can send the maps directly to the SD card via a reader vs directly to the unit. Sending them to the unit is a very slow process.

Third, select all the maps you want to send because, unless this has changed, if you keep adding maps you will overwrite the maps you previously installed every time you add new maps. You will need to send them all at one time.

This is all I can think of right now. Good luck.

Many thanks, ao318, for your speedy reply. But I'm not quite there yet. I'm still at a pretty basic level. Firstly (don't laugh!) I've don't know what you mean by 'tiles'. And I don't see any way of highlighting the map. What I see on my Mac screen if I look at Base Camp and I zoom out is a segment of the world map covering Europe, Africa and a bit of the Eastern part of South America. If I zoom in the European part is shown in increasing detail - it was NT City Navigator Europe that I loaded. i normally 'highlight' things on the screen by clicking the mouse and dragging it over the area to be highlighted, but if I do that on the Base Camp map it simply grabs the map and moves it. When you say 'bring up the map I want to copy on my device' I bring it up by viewing it in Base Camp. Am I supposed to bring it up another way. By the way, I loadaed the City Navigator map from a DVVD.

Many thanks, ao318, for your speedy reply. But I'm not quite there yet. I'm still at a pretty basic level. Firstly (don't laugh!) I've don't know what you mean by 'tiles'. And I don't see any way of highlighting the map. What I see on my Mac screen if I look at Base Camp and I zoom out is a segment of the world map covering Europe, Africa and a bit of the Eastern part of South America. If I zoom in the European part is shown in increasing detail - it was NT City Navigator Europe that I loaded. i normally 'highlight' things on the screen by clicking the mouse and dragging it over the area to be highlighted, but if I do that on the Base Camp map it simply grabs the map and moves it. When you say 'bring up the map I want to copy on my device' I bring it up by viewing it in Base Camp. Am I supposed to bring it up another way. By the way, I loadaed the City Navigator map from a DVVD.

On the menu - select the map you need to download.

On the tools - look for the selector tool to choose tiles.

Thanks..I'm getting there...but...I've clicked on the Map (City Navigator) under the Maps menu - it is ticked- and I went to Tools and chose Selector. Then I zoomed out and I highlighted the area of the map that I wanted - drew a rectangle - but as soon as I took the pressure off the mouse the highlighted rectangle disappeared. I went back to Transfer and of course there was nothing to transfer. I missing out a step, I think.

Thanks..I'm getting there...but...I've clicked on the Map (City Navigator) under the Maps menu - it is ticked- and I went to Tools and chose Selector. Then I zoomed out and I highlighted the area of the map that I wanted - drew a rectangle - but as soon as I took the pressure off the mouse the highlighted rectangle disappeared. I went back to Transfer and of course there was nothing to transfer. I missing out a step, I think.

Can't just draw a rectangle - the map is divided into "tiles". You need to click on the individual tiles you want - they will become "highlighted" - then do the transfer.

Edited by StarBrand

Here are some images of how to do it on mapsource, hopefully it is similar:

This image shows the drop down to choose your maps:

DropDown.jpg

This image shows which button to choose to highlight your tiles, which are shown to the right. These tiles are of topo which are smaller. Navigator tiles are larger, there are only 3 for the whole state of California:

Tiles.jpg

This image shows the highlighted tiles and the maps they represent in the list to the left:

HighlightedTiles.jpg

Here is what my transfer window looks like:

Transfer.png

I hope this helps. This took some serious memory power in doing this, I usually just use my iPad for everything.

I very much appreciate all the trouble that you are taking. I'm determined to crack this. I don't see any button like the 'shape ' button that you have that makes the tiles come up. On the bar I have Hand, Zoom, Selector, Waypoint, Create Route, Overview Map. None of them does anything to make tiles appear.

PROBLEM SOLVED! The key to transferring maps from your Mac to your Garmin is to use Mapinstall, as described in the link posted by the A-Team above. I had downloaded Mapinstall from the Garmin Website because I had been instructed to do so, but had not realised the importance of it. You don't use BaseCamp to transfer maps, which I had assumed you do, you go into your Mac Applications, find Mapinstall and open it up, and then you will see your maps listed. click on the one you want (I only had the one) and it will appear, divided into tiles which you select by clicking on them. You then click on send to send the maps to your device. It is incredibly simple once you know that you need to first open Mapinstall. Many thanks to all who gave me advice. I hope that this helps others.