What's the next oldest continuously active cache to Mingo?

Snoogans

It's a beautiful spot. Well where the GZ is difficult but it is beautiful area. If you go you continue in the same area you can also find GC17 the third oldest in Oregon. The 2nd oldest we also found in the same day.

Trail we took to GC12

IMG_1292.jpg.

Also near GC12 (you see this you are very close but you passed it)

IMG_1302.jpg

Yes it's a spoiler but there are many images of the cache.

IMG_1296.jpg

Great view on the way to GC17

IMG_1308.jpg

But there was snow on our way to GC17

IMG_1372.jpg

that git with a green coat looks familiar.

If you want I can add the ammo can.

Boy am I getting bored here. I want to do some caching. You better take me out.

Is this called Cabin Fever?

too far to pick you up. I might go get a few since the rain disappeared for a brief moment. Not that it would stop me, rain that is.

that git with a green coat looks familiar.

If you want I can add the ammo can.

Boy am I getting bored here. I want to do some caching. You better take me out.

Is this called Cabin Fever?

too far to pick you up. I might go get a few since the rain disappeared for a brief moment. Not that it would stop me, rain that is.

I mean when you pick me up. You are I hope

Now to add that bookmark to my list.

There are four caches left in the USA that were placed in May of 2000:

GC12 - Oregon

GC28 - Illinois

GC31 - Kansas

GC39 - New York

How is it that Mingo is GC30, but GC12 in Oregon and Beverly were hidden after Mingo?

They messed up on the waypoint order. You have to go by placed date

Oh, OK. and since the CO can change the placed/hidden date, that's not a very good measure either.

So, with all of the hubbub & ballyhoo over MINGO, are we even sure that it's really the oldest active cache out there?

There are four caches left in the USA that were placed in May of 2000:

GC12 - Oregon

GC28 - Illinois

GC31 - Kansas

GC39 - New York

How is it that Mingo is GC30, but GC12 in Oregon and Beverly were hidden after Mingo?

They messed up on the waypoint order. You have to go by placed date

Oh, OK. and since the CO can change the placed/hidden date, that's not a very good measure either.

So, with all of the hubbub & ballyhoo over MINGO, are we even sure that it's really the oldest active cache out there?

The first few years there were no published dates so that is the way they are dating them. I am sure if others do try to change the dates to try to be older now we all would know. I saw one in California claiming 1981

The waypoints for the first bunches of caches that were bulk imported into Groundspeak's servers were input to the system not by date but by state order, starting with states in the Pacific Northwest and then moving across the rest of the country.

The dates for the earliest caches can often be established by examining the old posts to the usenet forums, before there was a Groundspeak (it may surprise some new folks that geocaching existed before Groundspeak did, and people advertised their caches on usenet and on mailing lists.)

For those who like geocaching history (I count myself firmly among them) it can be fun to go through that old, public-domain data.

Here is a post that pretty much establishes Mingo's existence on May 11th 2000:

http://groups.google.com/group/sci.geo.satellite-nav/browse_thread/thread/5482bb5ab0e5080f/987e67d70a04562d?lnk=gst

It would appear that GC12 is a much better cache than MINGO and certainly more of a challenge (especially in the winter months) although it could do with a more interesting title and description (LOL). I also notice that the cache needs maintenance as it was full of water last time it was found.

Lets hope the 'oldest cache' could end up as something that the Geocaching community could actually be proud of making a pilgrimage to go and find rather than a throwdown near a fence.

Actaully, I wouldn't plan on going for GC12 in the winter unless you have a dog sled. It's usually under snow for most of the winter, and not accessible. (Same for GC17, which is right next door to ti).

It would appear that GC12 is a much better cache than MINGO and certainly more of a challenge (especially in the winter months) although it could do with a more interesting title and description (LOL). I also notice that the cache needs maintenance as it was full of water last time it was found.

Lets hope the 'oldest cache' could end up as something that the Geocaching community could actually be proud of making a pilgrimage to go and find rather than a throwdown near a fence.

The waypoints for the first bunches of caches that were bulk imported into Groundspeak's servers were input to the system not by date but by state order, starting with states in the Pacific Northwest and then moving across the rest of the country.

The dates for the earliest caches can often be established by examining the old posts to the usenet forums, before there was a Groundspeak (it may surprise some new folks that geocaching existed before Groundspeak did, and people advertised their caches on usenet and on mailing lists.)

For those who like geocaching history (I count myself firmly among them) it can be fun to go through that old, public-domain data.

Here is a post that pretty much establishes Mingo's existence on May 11th 2000:

http://groups.google.com/group/sci.geo.satellite-nav/browse_thread/thread/5482bb5ab0e5080f/987e67d70a04562d?lnk=gst

Found the firstsecond message

http://groups.google.com/group/sci.geo.satellite-nav/browse_thread/thread/c52da9008c2edfd7/c7f8fb570742a6fb?lnk=gst&q=triax#c7f8fb570742a6fb

Edited by jellis