Saved by Geocaching

I would like to thank the Geocaching community for saving me.

I lost my brother 10 years ago and turned to alcohol & drugs to console myself. I thought that it wouldn't go on for too long, that I'd eventually sort it out, but the end never seemed to be in sight. I've spent so much money and made such a fool of myself over the years that I am ashamed.

But then I discovered Geocaching. I'd seen it on tv years ago and it stuck in my mind and so when I bought my first smartphone, it was the first app I looked up. At first, I just used to go out and find the odd cache but it seemed to of escalated really quickly to the point that it was pretty much all I was thinking about. I started to go on 6 - 10 mile circulars on my own trying to find as many caches as I possibly could. I purchased a GPS and an expensive pair of walking boots and went as far as taking driving lessons because I had found all the caches within my locality.

I might have a pint at the end of a long walk but I don't consume anywhere near what I used to. I don't take drugs anymore as I found that the countryside can give me such a better buzz. Geocaching has taken me to places that have utterly taken my breath away, excited me and reduced me to tears of joy, giving me a feeling that no drug on this earth could replicate.

I thank you, the Geocaching community, for saving me. If it wasn't for the location and the ingenuity of some of these caches then I don't know where I would be. I am also very grateful to you for helping me swap my addictions for a less destructive one.

Anon

(This isn't my real account, I would like to remain anonymous as I have subsequently made a few friends from Geocaching)

Congratulations on you recovery! Geocaching changed my life too. It came at a time when all my friends had one by one moved away, out of state. I wasn't getting enough exercise, and had nothing to do, and hardly anyone to play with. Now I have new friends, I've lost some weight, and I am never bored, there is always something to do.

My condolences on the loss of your brother. I'm so glad this hobby helped you climb out of the chasm.

Congrats! Glad your new hobby has helped you :)

great story, thanks for sharing...

you know, it is possible to get addicted to geocaching too :-)

but that is not a big problem, you just get more fresh air then

:laughing: That's the truth :laughing:

We usually only get to spend 1 day of the weekends caching & unfortunately weren't able to do any last weekend... talk about withdrawals -gasp-

Thankfully the weekend is starting soon :D

We started 12/28/11 to "get out of the house" & exercise. I've lived in the area the majority of the time since '89 & I've been really surprised at the places we've visited that I never knew about.

So, even with gas prices going up I'd have to say that Geocaching is an excellent "addition to have.

hehe cool, I just need my "fix" at least once a day,

so we plan small trips even during normal work days, just after work,

make the distance to home just a little bit longer and find a cache or two with the kids,

we are still able to make it home and make dinner in time.

Forgive my skepticism but why did you post here with a brand new account to tell us that you have been Geocaching for some while???

He/she explained that. Doesn't want his new geocaching friends to know his whole story. Can't blame them for that.

I found this a story that brought tears to my eyes. There was a reason it stuck in your mind. It was meant to be and only you could decide when the time was right, Glad you recognized the sign. Good Luck to you in the future and keep those new boots walking. LOL

Welcome to the geocaching world.

I'm very pleased for you, thanks for posting. I feel like geocaching has changed my life, also, for different reasons. We spent alot of time outdoors as kids and somehow with all the business of life I"d forgotten how much I loved being outside. I also wasn't getting any exercise, it seemed pointless. I remember one day walking 2 blocks and it feeling weird. Geocaching is also letting me get to know my city in ways I couldn't have imagined. When I first came here I actually hated it and just wanted to leave. I didn't think there was anything to do here. There are places 5 minutes from my house I didn't know were there. Discovering geocaching was like waking up from a loooong sleep. I also love hiding caches. I desparately need a creative outlet and intellectual stimulation; geocaching is just the thing for me. Love to read each and every log and feel connected to members of my community and appreciated for my work.

Edited by The_Incredibles_

My name is Majormajor42 and it has been 28 hours since my last geocache.

But seriously, awesome OP. A few years back I heard a proud mother say of her son on his wedding day that he "has a love for life". I think geocaching, getting out and exploring nature and our world, is a large part of my pratice of loving life. And yes, I too may enjoy a pint or glass of whiskey at the end of a 20 mile hike while logging in at the computer. Ahh, the comforts of home.

I just wanted to add my voice, so to speak. The man I was dating on and off for two years past away on New Years last year. It had been a hard year but things are a lot better now.

I had found that the things we use to do for fun aren't really fun anymore. I had heard about geo cacheing from a local newspaper article a few yrs ago and thought it sounded fun but didn't know anyone who did it. That changed last May. I've gotten into it slowly and it's really the one thing that I actually have fun doing. It gets me out and I get some badly needed exercise. It also frustrates the heck out of me sometimes when I can't find a cache, but I get determined and don't give up and keep coming back till I can find it. It's the best feeling I have now. I only wished I started when I first read about it.

I just wanted to add that I am hoping to place a cache to honor that man. I gathered some of his favorite things to put in the cache and now I'm just looking for the perfect place. He loved history and going to military forts so I'm hoping to place it near one. I'm from the Buffalo, NY area and am looking at the area by Old Fort Niagara. I think he would've liked that.

Geocaching has been a part of saving my life too.

I was in a very serious depression a couple of years ago. things were not heading in a good direction.

I could not get out of the house to get groceries even. I used to make a deal with myself that if I went to the store I could get a geocache on the way.

It was the only thing that would get me out at all.

Things are doing much better these days. Continuing to get out on a regular basis is a big help.

There have been people who have gotten seriously addicted to this game to the point of it being detrimental.

Be careful not to replace one addiction with another, although this certainly is the better addiction.

Just watch for signs: Are you neglecting the important things and people in your life?

It's important to have fun, but we've got to keep our priorities straight.

As long as you're taking care of business and people in your life.

Yea, brother, tell it!

I was drinking far too much beer, a few years back. My other outdoor activities had mostly gone onto the shelf. The wake-up call, was learning my college roomie had died from a heart attack. At the time I was about 40 lbs overweight and huff and puffed going up stairs.

I cut out beer, but for two pints each week during pub trivia with friends, slashed the amount of food I was eating and turned to GeoCaching as the motivator to get me outdoors again, active and exercising.

I'm fit, I'm healthy and all that money which was channeled into a negative lifestyle I have for other pursuits, including buying geocaching containers, travel bugs, geocoins, a couple of GPSrs, a new car, hiking boots, outdoor clothing and gas to take me to many wonderful and fun places, including a GeoWoodstock, Death Valley, Grand Canyon and a staggering quantity of great open spaces.

It's a blast and I'm having so much more fun.

Awesome story. And for maybe the first time ever, I have no problem with the sock puppet being used. Nor should anyone else. :P

When discussing/admitting possible alcohol or drug addiction, personal and professional reputations can be at stake. This is why most support groups are anonymous in nature. Not everyone is as understanding as those that have posted here. People can be, and have been ostracized from their communities over these matters.

Forgive my skepticism but why did you post here with a brand new account to tell us that you have been Geocaching for some while???

They did not post to tell us how long they have been Geocaching. They posted to tell us about the positive effect Geocaching has had on their life. Considering the subject matter, I fail to see why anyone would object to their desire of anonymity.

To the Original Poster, Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I wish you all the luck in the future. I just hope that you are not playing with fire with that occasional pint. Alcohol is a drug and it is a darn sneaky one.