messaging fellow geo people

Davon2

Dont know if i am missing something or whether people just dont tend to answer, but i have sent a couple of questions via peoples profiles and had not had any replies .

I assume replies will just come to my normal email address or is there another section on this site for replys

Thanks

when you send an email through Geocaching.com, you can elect to send your email address, by checking at the bottom of the message

I want to send my email address along with this message.

If you don't check that, your email is sent from "noreply@geocaching.com".

If you send from "noreply" when someone writes a response and hits send - it won't reach anyone.

Some people will notice, they'll likely get delivery failure message, and take the time to follow the link to your profile, and send a message from your profile, and some won't. People figure that if you really wanted a reply, you wouldn't have emailed from "no reply"!

Also, I'm guessing, based on some years of site use, that a good many cachers who don't own caches, don't ever see email that comes through this site. They aren't expecting it, so they don't think to check their spam filters for it - that "noreply" address triggers many spam filters.

I've noticed a much higher response rate from cache owners then from non-owners.

Edited by Isonzo Karst

Dont know if i am missing something or whether people just dont tend to answer, but i have sent a couple of questions via peoples profiles and had not had any replies .

I assume replies will just come to my normal email address or is there another section on this site for replys

Thanks

Just to be clear, geocaching.com utilizes emails, this site (Forums) uses messaging. They are not synonymous.

Isonzo Karst is correct about the email situation. The key is to include your email addx in the email. Spam filters play an important role in those emails.

To contact somebody on this site, click on the open envelope icon beneath their avatar (a closed env. means they are not accepting Personal Messaging). Some may not realize, but at the top of the page, at your profile link, a red-colored number indicates that you have received (that many) unread messages.

Edit to add: Through your profile edit page, make sure that your email preferences are set as this:

068da2d5-6b17-40d8-90e3-1c23db25c26b.png

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

If you send from "noreply" when someone writes a response and hits send - it won't reach anyone.

Some people will notice, they'll likely get delivery failure message...

That's one thing that needs to change. As it is right now, you do not get a failure message. You get nothing. It looks like the email has correctly been sent, and you get zero feedback. My assumption is that the Groundspeak mail server successfully receives your email, but then just ignores it and deletes it. It would make much more sense to make the "reply-to" address bogus, so you get a delivery failure message, or at least have it respond with "You have emailed a place-holder email, to email another cacher, do this...". Making it look like you've successfully contacted someone when you haven't just leads to misunderstandings and anger.

Some people will notice, they'll likely get delivery failure message...

That's one thing that needs to change. As it is right now, you do not get a failure message. You get nothing. It looks like the email has correctly been sent, and you get zero feedback. My assumption is that the Groundspeak mail server successfully receives your email, but then just ignores it and deletes it. It would make much more sense to make the "reply-to" address bogus, so you get a delivery failure message, or at least have it respond with "You have emailed a place-holder email, to email another cacher, do this...". Making it look like you've successfully contacted someone when you haven't just leads to misunderstandings and anger.

i agree 1 gazillion percent.

it's rediculous that you don't get a "delivery failure message"...

Thanks

Just to be clear, geocaching.com utilizes emails, this site (Forums) uses messaging. They are not synonymous.

Isonzo Karst is correct about the email situation. The key is to include your email addx in the email. Spam filters play an important role in those emails.

To contact somebody on this site, click on the open envelope icon beneath their avatar (a closed env. means they are not accepting Personal Messaging). Some may not realize, but at the top of the page, at your profile link, a red-colored number indicates that you have received (that many) unread messages.

Edit to add: Through your profile edit page, make sure that your email preferences are set as this:

068da2d5-6b17-40d8-90e3-1c23db25c26b.png

That will show your email address on your profile.

There is another check box when you send via the anonymous (noreply) method. IF that box is checked, your email will be supplied to anyone responding to the message sent. It's located under the text box. IF not selected, your message replies to noreply @ and is bound for file 13.

I don't see any problem with showing your email in the profile, but even when I send via the profile method, I always include my email in the text if I really want to be sure... a bit oldschool, but the way I learned to email. Remember that the anonymous method is for the person receiving the email's privacy, not yours per se.

One way of dodging the spam filters is to make Geocaching.com and/or noreply@ GC etc. a contact on your system...

Doug 7rxc

I have the same issue. There are a number of caches that I have sent emails about and never received responces. As a matter of fact I can think of 7 or 8 caches I marked as needing maintnance and nothing was ever done. Have you looked at the user's profile to see when they last found a cache? They might be simply inactive.