Discussions pertaining to Groundspeak's new Windows Phone app

but I simply cannot afford spending 30$ a year for just a hobby..

Me thinks you have more serious problems than worrying about some app then.

Maybe it's time to cancel your smart phone and go prepaid and I'd also recommend disconnecting Internet, that can run, what, $30/month.

You are where you are because that's where you choose to be.

Edited by Roman!

Personally, as a student i can't afford a premium membership or a decent GPS so this will put a halt to my geocaching for a while

But you can afford a smartphone and monthly service?

Outside of North America, mobile plans are much better. Also, consider phones that were given as gifts or won in a contest - they don't need up front data plans to be used.

Also consider carriers who offer you-only-pay-what-you-use data plans instead of a flat fee for so many MB/GB.

I thought I'd show Roman! the above quote.

but I simply cannot afford spending 30$ a year for just a hobby..

Me thinks you have more serious problems than worrying about some app then.

Maybe it's time to cancel your smart phone and go prepaid and I'd also recommend disconnecting Internet, that can run, what, $30/month.

You are where you are because that's where you choose to be.

Not everyone is in the same situation.

"when you have Symbian and Android siting at the top, followed by Blackberry and iPhone, I can't see a phone that does not rank in even the top 5 warranting any real resources."

That odd, one of the reasons I went to Windows was it's ease of use and word that Nokia (I thought the last using Symbian) was canning Symbian, instead putting Windows in their phones.

I believe they started with Windows last year, around October.

Sorry, I was looking at numbers worldwide. In the US, as of Jan 2012 according to comScore;

Android 48.6%

Apple 29.5%

RIM 15.2%

Microsoft 4.4%

Symbian 1.5%

In the U.S., that Microsoft number is actually skewed, as it includes people still using the essentially abandoned Windows Live OS; you know, what Pocket PC's run on? People do walk around with old OS's; for example, I was rolling with the since abandoned Palm OS until 6 months ago. :)

Nice to see the "if you can't afford $30 for Geocaching, you don't deserve to dwell on this earth" type responses are coming in, like they do when someone complains about Members Only caches. :ph34r:

In the U.S., that Microsoft number is actually skewed, as it includes people still using the essentially abandoned Windows Live OS; you know, what Pocket PC's run on? People do walk around with old OS's; for example, I was rolling with the since abandoned Palm OS until 6 months ago. :)

Nice to see the "if you can't afford $30 for Geocaching, you don't deserve to dwell on this earth" type responses are coming in, like they do when someone complains about Members Only caches. :ph34r:

I am only replying to this since you mistakenly chose my post to make this comment about.

I haven't seen any posts here in this thread take a shot at any one who chooses to be a member, in fact in the part of my post you chose to snip I said that a viable option was to us a PC to get the cache information via the regular member status. I also do not believe that the $30 is necessarily because some can not afford it or is cheap. The $30 is well worth it for me, however many I have cached with do not see the value as there are also many here in the forums that do not. If it has no value add for them, they do not have to justify to anyone their decision.

The "free ride" comment (that I used) was in response to Dulce-Joy indicating they wanted the full PM privileges simply for buying a inexpensive app when those that purchased the iPhone app, Android app or for that matter Windows 7 Home Premium pay the $30 for membership. I went back and looked through the thread and i think maybe there is an over sensitivity thing happening here, because the only thing remotely close to what you say "are coming in" is Coldgears attempt to justify the $30, and even that would be a stretch.

I am only replying to this since you mistakenly chose my post to make this comment about.

I haven't seen any posts here in this thread take a shot at any one who chooses to be a member, in fact in the part of my post you chose to snip I said that a viable option was to us a PC to get the cache information via the regular member status. I also do not believe that the $30 is necessarily because some can not afford it or is cheap. The $30 is well worth it for me, however many I have cached with do not see the value as there are also many here in the forums that do not. If it has no value add for them, they do not have to justify to anyone their decision.

The "free ride" comment (that I used) was in response to Dulce-Joy indicating they wanted the full PM privileges simply for buying a inexpensive app when those that purchased the iPhone app, Android app or for that matter Windows 7 Home Premium pay the $30 for membership. I went back and looked through the thread and i think maybe there is an over sensitivity thing happening here, because the only thing remotely close to what you say "are coming in" is Coldgears attempt to justify the $30, and even that would be a stretch.

I didn't mistakenly do anything. I quoted you about smartphone market share, then I talked about, um, smartphone market share? I did add another paragraph of course. I was referring to Roman. Would anyone like me to look up and post any of the downright cruel and degrading comments that have been posted in these forums over the years towards anyone who dare mention caching without a premium membership? I'd probably have 1,000 to choose from. You know, "deadbeat", "get a life", "it's a cup of coffee a day", etc..

I didn't mistakenly do anything. I quoted you about smartphone market share, then I talked about, um, smartphone market share? I did add another paragraph of course. I was referring to Roman. Would anyone like me to look up and post any of the downright cruel and degrading comments that have been posted in these forums over the years towards anyone who dare mention caching without a premium membership? I'd probably have 1,000 to choose from. You know, "deadbeat", "get a life", "it's a cup of coffee a day", etc..

No, simply quote where either it is said in this thread or, since you have mistakenly attributed this type of comment to me, where I have ever stated it.

Edit to add: The Pocket PC's do not skew the numbers. The percentages given were for smartphone usage.

Edited by baloo&bd

No, simply quote where either it is said in this thread or, since you have mistakenly attributed this type of comment to me, where I have ever stated it.

Edit to add: The Pocket PC's do not skew the numbers. The percentages given were for smartphone usage.

Yeah, you're right, I suppose I can't argue with that. Multi-quoting is such a pain though. :D

Oh, I think we're both wrong, actually. I mistakenly referred to it as Windows Live, it's actually Windows Mobile (the Geocaching app to which we're referring will be called Geocaching Live). But it is the OS for pre-WP7 smartphones, and Pocket PC's (which of course are not cell phones).

Windows Mobile Wiki

And I would like to just clear up :) in case anyone is reading this part is that I did not say that I "...wanted the full PM privileges simply for buying a inexpensive app...". And that was never the point. It was only about getting and keeping a fully functioning app that was already paid for, not premium member benefits. It's only about the app. I just don't want any misunderstanding, and I am hoping that Groundspeak is reading this and will let us know what is going on. Thank you.

I have been using the GeocachingLive Beta for a few months. Trust me... it is awesome! You will love it. Thanks to GS taking my suggestion of setting up a beta testing group, they were able to work out all the bugs (as far as I can tell) and add in features that everyone wants but developers can't think up. Once your trial expires, you are going to want to get a PM! And just as well. I never understood why a $10 app should give you the same privelages and features as a $30/year membership.

Now if only the GPS and Compass in my LG phone didn't suck so bad...

Edited by Andronicus

Once your trial expires, you are going to want to get a PM! And just as well. I never understood why a $10 app should give you the same privelages and features as a $30/year membership.

No, I won't.

Have you tired the new Geocaching Live app yet? If not, don't state it as a matter of FACT yet. You may well change your mind.

........... I never understood why a $10 app should give you the same privelages and features as a $30/year membership......

How does the $10 app give you the same privileges and features as a $30 premium membership????? :shocked: I do NOT get to see the Premium Caches as a basic member using the $10 app.

........... I never understood why a $10 app should give you the same privelages and features as a $30/year membership......

How does the $10 app give you the same privileges and features as a $30 premium membership????? :shocked: I do NOT get to see the Premium Caches as a basic member using the $10 app.

This.

Now the situation is like this:

Application which we are bought for $ 10 is used in two ways. If I am PM I have all the benefits of membership, but if I have basic membership i have NO benefits but the application has no pointless restrictions as 3 regular cache/day.

So we wanted the same conditions of use app, no restrictions, no need to be PM for playing, but we really do not want any free ride or whatever.

And another problem is that we hated to paying an app which won't be working after a year, and there will be worse app (free), or you can purchase PM and use it with all benefits and without restrictions. Now i feel cheated.

(sorry for errors in my English)

PM Caches asside, the app gives you simmilar features as a PQ, allowing you to load up a large list of caches on your mobile caching device. Befor smart phone apps, the only way to do this was with a PM, downloading PQs. Mobile apps have been allowing serious cachers to cache without a PM. Before mobile apps, caches without a PM had to either print off cache pages, or sit at a PC for a long time entering the verious corrdinates into their GPS. So all serious cachers had a PM. No, not so much. So GS is just trying to get back there somewhat, and increasing their PM revenue stream. Can't say I blam them...However they should have mentioned this when you paid the $10 for the original app. I suspect that when it was relieased they hadn't planned that far ahead.

PM Caches asside, the app gives you simmilar features as a PQ, allowing you to load up a large list of caches on your mobile caching device. Befor smart phone apps, the only way to do this was with a PM, downloading PQs. Mobile apps have been allowing serious cachers to cache without a PM. Before mobile apps, caches without a PM had to either print off cache pages, or sit at a PC for a long time entering the verious corrdinates into their GPS. So all serious cachers had a PM. No, not so much. So GS is just trying to get back there somewhat, and increasing their PM revenue stream. Can't say I blam them...However they should have mentioned this when you paid the $10 for the original app. I suspect that when it was relieased they hadn't planned that far ahead.

Ridiculous argument.

"The few unavailable shows asside, the Netflix gives you simmilar feature to cable, allowing you to watch a large list of TV shows on a screen. Befor Netflix, the only way to do this was with cable subscription, and changing the channel. Netflix have been allowing serious TV watchers to watch TV without a cable box. Before Netflix, people without a subscription had to go over a friend's house or sit at a PC a long time pirating the shows, putting the various shows into correct folders. So all serious TV watchers either had a Cable Box. No, not so much. So Cable Companies are just trying to get back there somewhat, increasing their Subscription revenue stream. Can't say I blam them... However they should have mentioned this when you spent $10 for Netflix. I suspect that when it was relieased they had not planed that far ahead."

Ridiculous argument.

"The few unavailable shows asside, the Netflix gives you simmilar feature to cable, allowing you to watch a large list of TV shows on a screen. Befor Netflix, the only way to do this was with cable subscription, and changing the channel. Netflix have been allowing serious TV watchers to watch TV without a cable box. Before Netflix, people without a subscription had to go over a friend's house or sit at a PC a long time pirating the shows, putting the various shows into correct folders. So all serious TV watchers either had a Cable Box. No, not so much. So Cable Companies are just trying to get back there somewhat, increasing their Subscription revenue stream. Can't say I blam them... However they should have mentioned this when you spent $10 for Netflix. I suspect that when it was relieased they had not planed that far ahead."

Close but no kewpie doll. Cable is selling a service, not content. Netflix is selling content not service. The app is for a service, the membership is for content.

Andronicus, if you're allowed to say anything, when exactly would you say you received this app for testing? Have they had to fix anything or make any improvements during the beta test period, of have you been rolling along smoothly the whole time?

Just reviewed the early emails, and they did ask us to not discuss the beta testing, so can't answer your questions. Sorry.

Ridiculous argument.

Here is the thing about PM caches. I found and logged 5 PM caches by myself (no help from a PM) before I had a PM. So the whole "I can't access PM caches" doesn't ring true for me. The reason I didn't have a PM is that I had a Windows Mobile app called GCzII. Honestly, it provided most of the PM benefits. I could download large quantities of caches, then sort by, first distance, then cache size, and then I had what was essentially a PQ for the area. I finally upgraded to a PM when I felt guilty, not for lack of features. The whole point with PM/BM is that it is always free to geocache, but it is going to be a pain in the a@# if you don't upgrade to a PM. Why would GS want to keep supporting an app that would counter their own philosophy. I do get the argument that you spent your $10 under false pretensed, and I wont try to say that that is OK. All I can say is that there are a lot of other apps that do that as well. eg. Garmin, GEOBasic. There are plenty more. I don't think it is OK, but it happens. Be happy that it was only $10. And aren't they supporting it untill end of March 2013. I think that by then you will have more than got your moneys worth. Will you even have a Windows phone still? You sound more like an Android guy.

Edited by Andronicus

Ridiculous argument.

Here is the thing about PM caches. I found and logged 5 PM caches by myself (no help from a PM) before I had a PM. So the whole "I can't access PM caches" doesn't ring true for me. The reason I didn't have a PM is that I had a Windows Mobile app called GCzII. Honestly, it provided most of the PM benefits. I could download large quantities of caches, then sort by, first distance, then cache size, and then I had what was essentially a PQ for the area. I finally upgraded to a PM when I felt guilty, not for lack of features. The whole point with PM/BM is that it is always free to geocache, but it is going to be a pain in the a@# if you don't upgrade to a PM. Why would GS want to keep supporting an app that would counter their own philosophy. I do get the argument that you spent your $10 under false pretensed, and I wont try to say that that is OK. All I can say is that there are a lot of other apps that do that as well. eg. Garmin, GEOBasic. There are plenty more. I don't think it is OK, but it happens. Be happy that it was only $10. And aren't they supporting it untill end of March 2013. I think that by then you will have more than got your moneys worth. Will you even have a Windows phone still? You sound more like an Android guy.

Ugh... Give me a break. :lostsignal:

OH MY GOD! Would you please stop platform wars and other examples of stupidity in this thread?

1) We, Windows Phone users don't care about other platform's users views.

2) We paid 10 USD for an app with a certain set of features, that is being discontinued, which we feel is WRONG.

3) We were not getting premium features in that app.

4) We most certainly WON'T pay for a PM to use the new app with the old set of features, because

5) We are being cheated by Groundspeak!

6) What we want is to keep the same set of features WE ALREADY PAID FOR, mainly unlimited number of cache details, not just 3 a day.

It's ones independent choice to use Windows Phone as well as it is ones independent choice to or not to spend 30 USD on a hobby. It doesn't matter if one can't afford 30 USD or just feels cheated on, so won't support Groundspeak ever again or both. If you trolls still don't understand, it's not your business which platform we use and how much money we spend on our services. And mainly it's off-topic here. Could you please finally drop the platform fight and let us discuss the trick Groundspeak is playing on us and hopefully wait for some input from Groundspeak itself?

Windows Phone being a small platform argument is absolutely irrelevant, because Geocaching app is not free, in fact it is one of the most expensive in the WP world at all. I seriously doubt, that Groundspeak didn't profit on it considering the ammount of time their reluctant development had to take.

Andronicus: How could the new app being so awesome? Why didn't Groundspeak make the old one as awesome? I can guarantee you and Groundspeak that I will not want PM (I state it as a FACT) after my trial (which I didn't get) expires, because I don't want to support companies who try to cheat on me. And once more: The 10 USD app DID NOT give us the same privileges as premium membership. It gave is a "privilege" to list more than three caches a day which is standard on other platforms and which is what we paid for. The new app is taking this from us. By the way I BLAME GS for trying to increase its revenue by cheating on paying customers.

OH MY GOD! Would you please stop platform wars and other examples of stupidity in this thread?

2) We paid 10 USD for an app with a certain set of features, that is being discontinued, which we feel is WRONG.

4) We most certainly WON'T pay for a PM to use the new app with the old set of features, because

6) What we want is to keep the same set of features WE ALREADY PAID FOR, mainly unlimited number of cache details, not just 3 a day.

It's ones independent choice to use Windows Phone as well as it is ones independent choice to or not to spend 30 USD on a hobby. It doesn't matter if one can't afford 30 USD or just feels cheated on, so won't support Groundspeak ever again or both. If you trolls still don't understand, it's not your business which platform we use and how much money we spend on our services. And mainly it's off-topic here. Could you please finally drop the platform fight and let us discuss the trick Groundspeak is playing on us and hopefully wait for some input from Groundspeak itself?

Windows Phone being a small platform argument is absolutely irrelevant, because Geocaching app is not free, in fact it is one of the most expensive in the WP world at all. I seriously doubt, that Groundspeak didn't profit on it considering the ammount of time their reluctant development had to take.

Andronicus: How could the new app being so awesome? Why didn't Groundspeak make the old one as awesome? I can guarantee you and Groundspeak that I will not want PM (I state it as a FACT) after my trial (which I didn't get) expires, because I don't want to support companies who try to cheat on me. And once more: The 10 USD app DID NOT give us the same privileges as premium membership. It gave is a "privilege" to list more than three caches a day which is standard on other platforms and which is what we paid for. The new app is taking this from us. By the way I BLAME GS for trying to increase its revenue by cheating on paying customers.

Thank you AmorFati!! Exactly!! What you wrote is absolutely PERFECT!

I care a little because my contract is up in a year and I need to know if I want to stick with WP or jump ship.

$10 is very cheep in terms of geocaching. 31 March 2013 is more than a year away. A good deal if you ask me.

And technicaly the app will still work, just not the data source that it gets its info from. You could use the "save list" option to save tonns of caches into the app, and it would keep working fine for those caches.

Yes you do. You are getting large cache lists delivered to your mobile device. This is a PM feature that, untill recently, was reserved exclusivly for paying PM. I understand that you don't get all the features, but you do get the best, most important one.

Some of you will, expecially once you try out the new app.

Maybe, maybe not. Where were the terms of use for that original app that none of us read? maybe it had a item on this topic.

You will have that until 31 March 2013, then even better with the new app for another month. That puts you at April 31 2013. Not bad at all for $10!

The new app is better because they used a Beta test group. Apps are always better when that happens. The old app didn't have a beta test group.

wont quote it all but - but most what u wrote is totally {hogwash}

- $10 for geocaching app is for sure in top 50 most expensive application in market. Point is how they act to users who bought it

- its not about $10 its about if 1000 - 10 000 users buy it - ahh cmon its much more money to got deserved support (and use betatesters), so pls stop talking {hogwash}. This app could be made by 2 programmers in few months, how its possible they wasnt able to update it to mango version for YEAR?

- save-list: made my day, try it and navigate yourself by map u cant zoom (which i can understand, because bing, openstreetmaps doesnt allowe it in offline)

Edited by Moun10Bike
Edited for profanity

- $10 for geocaching app is for sure in top 50 most expensive application in market. Point is how they act to users who bought it

- its not about $10 its about if 1000 - 10 000 users buy it - ahh cmon its much more money to got deserved support (and use betatesters), so pls stop talking bullsh*t. This app could be made by 2 programmers in few months, how its possible they wasnt able to update it to mango version for YEAR?

- save-list: made my day, try it and navigate yourself by map u cant zoom (which i can understand, because bing, openstreetmaps doesnt allowe it in offline)

In terms of apps, $10 is more than most. In terms of geocaching, it is almost free. Most serious cachers pay $30 per year for a PM, they pay $6 for a single Travel Bug, they pay $400 for a Garmin Colorado GPSr, they pay $60 for a tank of gas for a day of chaching, they pay $5 for a coffee before heading, ... on and on it goes. Please stop the "Ive been defrauded over $10" routine. No one is simpythising.

- its not about $10 its about if 1000 - 10 000 users buy it - ahh cmon its much more money to got deserved support (and use betatesters), so pls stop talking bullsh*t. This app could be made by 2 programmers in few months, how its possible they wasnt able to update it to mango version for YEAR?

In terms of apps, $10 is more than most. In terms of geocaching, it is almost free. Most serious cachers pay $30 per year for a PM, they pay $6 for a single Travel Bug, they pay $400 for a Garmin Colorado GPSr, they pay $60 for a tank of gas for a day of chaching, they pay $5 for a coffee before heading, ... on and on it goes. Please stop the "Ive been defrauded over $10" routine. No one is simpythising.

Ok send me $10 for free, thats exactly what i did to Groundspeak, because app will be soon unusable. Want my paypal account?

Ok send me $10 for free, thats exactly what i did to Groundspeak, because app will be soon unusable. Want my paypal account?

Lets face it, you didn't get nothing. You got more than a year of service, all the way till end of March 2013

I will send you $10, but then you have provide me with convinient fast access to a list of more than 1million geocaches on my WindowsPhone for one year. Send me your paypal account when you have that setup, and I will give you the $10.

Lets face it, you didn't get nothing. You got more than a year of service, all the way till end of March 2013

I will send you $10, but then you have provide me with convinient fast access to a list of more than 1million geocaches on my WindowsPhone for one year. Send me your paypal account when you have that setup, and I will give you the $10.

It will be no problem if Groundspeak will provide an API for that, read more about it in forum.

And actually there wasnt any claim from Groundspeak that application will end in March 2013 when i purchased it. Thats the problem friend.

My last reaction to your comments

Edited by FixiePixie

It will be no problem if Groundspeak will provide an API for that, read more about it in forum.

And actually there wasnt any claim from Groundspeak that application will end in March 2013 when i purchased it. Thats the problem friend.

My last reaction to your comments

Andronicus, You are not going to change our opinions on this matter. Stop trying to act all 'higher than thou' with the people that you don't agree with. This is not about whether or not you think we deserve somthing, it's not your decision. We are not asking you to sympathize with us, I know I, for one, do not want your sympathy. I think the only thing we are asking for is understanding before people start making up their minds. This is wrong, Andronicus, and nothing you say will change how we feel about this.

Andronicus, I'm probably repeating myself, but it's not up to you to decide, how much is too much for me to spend on Geocaching. This is entirely my choice. I chose to spend 10 dollars. Even if I wanted to spend a thousand, I would still want to get the value I gave the money for. The ammount doesn't matter. What matters is that I am a paying customer, but Groundspeak is not willing to fullfill its part of the deal.

Guess I'll draw some fire away from Andronicus.

First, everyone that has tried to explain what is going on and the possible whys have done so with the intention of being helpful. They have been met with two or three using inappropriate language and slurs. You brought this issue to an open forum for all to comment, not sure why the angst when people respond. If you didn't want others opinions, you should have contacted GS directly.

The attacks were not only against those of us on other platforms (and yes, market share is relevant), but Andronicus also, who has a unique perspective as a WinPhone user and beta tester for the new program. I don't think Andronicus or anyone else thinks they will change your mind, just trying to help you understand the possible whys of what is going on.

You may not agree, but the fact is you got your moneys worth which is why the sympathy is not forthcoming from many. You got a PM lite for 2 years. You did not get to see the MoCs however you had most of the advantages of the PQs, which is what I think most will say is the single most desired part of being a PM. What you had was somewhere smack in the middle of basic and PM. A slight adjustment to your perspective might make the change somewhat easier. I also think you MAY be in the minority of those who bought the program without being a PM as well.

GS has decided to concentrate their efforts on apps that adhere to the new API. While many, if not all of us, may agree with you their early adaptation of the app was unfortunate in light of the new developments, programs often become unsupported after relatively short periods of time. Often with no replacement at all. Here there is a alternative. From the outside looking in, as a business owner myself, it appears they just do not see a market worth the development resources beyond this new app change to the API schema, which is most likely why they decided to offer it free. In a way, I am kind of surprised no one from the iphone or Android camps have complained WinPhone is getting the program free while they still have to pay. Anyone want to get that thread started?

The likelihood that GS will respond to this thread is probably low since they have already communicated their intentions via an email, however if they do the response will most assuredly not offer anymore information then you already have. However if they are reading this, I would suggest it would be reasonable for them consider giving those that bought the original program a $10 credit toward their first year of Premium Membership. Not something some here in the thread may take advantage of, and I am sure some owners of other platforms may bristle about, but would be a compromise most would take advantage of and feel is fair.

In a way, I am kind of surprised no one from the iphone or Android camps have complained WinPhone is getting the program free while they still have to pay. Anyone want to get that thread started?

why they should have to complaine, if our free version can be compared to their trial version??

I have bacisly only few probems:

That Groundspeak is too lazy to anser this thread (prbly laughing from their chairs in HQ, enjoying our money)

Its stil type of cheating, mainly if they offer us advantage of PM in 1/3 its prize.

Still have to say that first problem is much more important to me. Hope that Opencaching.com will grow up soon :( will support it double prize if needed

why they should have to complaine, if our free version can be compared to their trial version??

To clear up a basic misconception or two, the Android app has never had a trial version, ever. Until this thread, I have never even seen it insinuated that the iphone currently had a trial either.

The limitations of the member vs. PM are the API and are independent of app or platform. Stated again, you are now being brought into the same limitations as over 90% of the app users on GC have had to deal with. Now, the main features of your free version will be what they have to pay $10 to get.

I have bacisly only few probems:

That Groundspeak is too lazy to anser this thread (prbly laughing from their chairs in HQ, enjoying our money)

Its stil type of cheating, mainly if they offer us advantage of PM in 1/3 its prize.

It's not lazy as they have already stated their position in a direct email. I am sure if you contact them directly, they will reply. I don't think they have made any serious money yet on any of the apps, much less the WinPhone version.

I have no idea what you meant by the last quoted line above.

Still have to say that first problem is much more important to me. Hope that Opencaching.com will grow up soon :( will support it double prize if needed

Of course, you are free to head over there and help move that goal along, however from some of the issues I have seen over there and discussed in their forums, it appears unlikely. However, stranger things have happened.

edit: Sorry all, didn't realize I was replying to a sock puppet.

Edited by baloo&bd

Guess I'll draw some fire away from Andronicus.

Thanks s for a well-thought-out reply. :)

I think $10 for ANYTHING that lasts a year (or two) is a pretty good deal.

I doubt the EULA had any 'for as long as the grass shall grow' clause.

I'm still not entirely comfortable abut how things were done, but as I said earlier 'The frog giveth...'

Tell me, does being on iPhone and Android allow you to keep your $10 app without becoming a premium member? If the answer is yes, then why can't we? How is the $10 Windows Phone app any different than the $10 iPhone app, or the $10 Android app?

Yes, with the exception yours is becoming free. Without the premium membership, it will work very similar to your upcoming free app, we just still have to pay $10.

We interrupt this debate for the news that an update to the the Official Groundspeak Geocaching Application showed up in the Windows Phone Marketplace early Saturday morning, EST. However, this does not appear to be the new "Geocaching Live" app at all. Anyone else?

EDIT: Never mind. If I go to the marketplace with a web browser, it says right at the top of the page "Broken OSM map bug fixed" (or something along those lines). The app is still v 2.6.0.0, and there was no announcement here in the forums, like there usually is. Carry on.

P.S. Nice rating on the marketplace, FixiePixie. :lol:

Edited by Mr.Yuck

We interrupt this debate for the news that an update to the the Official Groundspeak Geocaching Application showed up in the Windows Phone Marketplace early Saturday morning, EST. However, this does not appear to be the new "Geocaching Live" app at all. Anyone else?

When an app is realeased to the marketplace it normaly takes a few days until it will be possible to find the app by searching the marketplace. The first days you need a deeplink directly to the app to be able to download it. I hope groumdspeak provides us with a deeplink directly when the app has passed the certification process.

TheLadyBug

When an app is realeased to the marketplace it normaly takes a few days until it will be possible to find the app by searching the marketplace. The first days you need a deeplink directly to the app to be able to download it. I hope groumdspeak provides us with a deeplink directly when the app has passed the certification process.

TheLadyBug

I suppose so. This isn't an update, it's a new release, or a re-release, if you will. The same page I referred to above says the new Geocaching live app is currently in the marketplace. But I can't get it yet. See for yourself. Geocaching app in WP marketplace

I had great support from Groundspeak over this issue. I wrote a polite email asking if there was any way to compensate me for the program which would become unusable. They said I could not receive a refund but they extended my premium membership by three months, which is ten dollars. I'm more than satisfied. I was on the fence about this whole thing but after that customer service experience I'm not really upset at all.

I had great support from Groundspeak over this issue. I wrote a polite email asking if there was any way to compensate me for the program which would become unusable. They said I could not receive a refund but they extended my premium membership by three months, which is ten dollars. I'm more than satisfied. I was on the fence about this whole thing but after that customer service experience I'm not really upset at all.

There ya go.

Asking nicely to the right people will *usually* get satisfying results.

Ranting in the forums *usually* will not.

Tell me, does being on iPhone and Android allow you to keep your $10 app without becoming a premium member? If the answer is yes, then why can't we? How is the $10 Windows Phone app any different than the $10 iPhone app, or the $10 Android app?

Yes, with the exception yours is becoming free. Without the premium membership, it will work very similar to your upcoming free app, we just still have to pay $10.

I don't know how to explain this anymore clearly. No, your $10 app is NOT the same as the upcoming "free" app. Compare the features. Irregardless, I know this is wrong, as do many others. For me it was never about having a debate, it was to get the word out. If we can't even get a response from GS, or even a chance for a change, then I believe I am done with this. Just one more big business. Thank you all for your time.

Can you possibly list out what you believe the differences to be?

I'm not answering for Dulce-Joy, but the email sent out to non-premium WP7 app users is posted in Post #75

The difference is that they will no longer have unlimited access to the cache listings, while Iphone and Droid Geocaching app non-premium users will. Members only caches not included, no non-premium members get them, no matter which phone they have.

Edited by Mr.Yuck

Can you possibly list out what you believe the differences to be?

I'm not answering for Dulce-Joy, but the email sent out to non-premium WP7 app users is posted in Post #75

The difference is that they will no longer have unlimited access to the cache listings, while Iphone and Droid Geocaching app non-premium users will. Members only caches not included, no non-premium members get them, no matter which phone they have.

Thank you Mr. Yuck. :)

I think when most of us started to try to help you with your concerns, it is because we truly thought they were just that, concerns. However when presented with facts such as iphone and Android basic members DO NOT get unlimited access to cache listings however have the same restrictions as WinPhone users new app you still continue to want to rant, regardless (or is that irregardless?) of the fact that it appears the only unfair treatment is that WinPhone users are now being given preference over other app users. It even appears from a previous recent post that they are refunding the $10. Definition: Free ride.

There is a saying that you should not wrestle with a pig in mud. You get frustrated and the pig enjoys it. It has become apparent some of you are simply arguing for the sake of arguing and really don't have any concerns one way or another. Andronicus seemed to figure this out much earlier than I. Since there are only 2 or 3 of you seeking a handout, and GS agreed to give it to you via an unwarranted refund, there is no point in anyone responding to this little tirade for tirades sake any longer.

Edited by baloo&bd

I think when most of us started to try to help you with your concerns, it is because we truly thought they were just that, concerns. However when presented with facts such as iphone and Android basic members DO NOT get unlimited access to cache listings however have the same restrictions as WinPhone users new app you still continue to want to rant, regardless (or is that irregardless?) of the fact that it appears the only unfair treatment is that WinPhone users are now being given preference over other app users. It even appears from a previous recent post that they are refunding the $10. Definition: Free ride.

There is a saying that you should not wrestle with a pig in mud. You get frustrated and the pig enjoys it. It has become apparent some of you are simply arguing for the sake of arguing and really don't have any concerns one way or another. Andronicus seemed to figure this out much earlier than I. Since there are only 2 or 3 of you seeking a handout, and GS agreed to give it to you via an unwarranted refund, there is no point in anyone responding to this little tirade for tirades sake any longer.

Huh? Where did that come from? :lostsignal: Mr.Yuck explained it quite clearly, and you still misunderstood him and said the exact opposite. Andronicus does NOT have this figured out and I know I am not arguing for arguement's sake. You keep saying that everyone is trying to help with our concerns, the only people that can help is Groundspeak. I had an honest concern and you are running it through the mud. I give up. Forget it.