Discussions pertaining to Groundspeak's new Windows Phone app

I have been using the GeocachingLive Beta for a few months. Trust me... it is awesome! You will love it. Thanks to GS taking my suggestion of setting up a beta testing group, they were able to work out all the bugs (as far as I can tell) and add in features that everyone wants but developers can't think up. Once your trial expires, you are going to want to get a PM! And just as well. I never understood why a $10 app should give you the same privelages and features as a $30/year membership.

Now if only the GPS and Compass in my LG phone didn't suck so bad...

Just to add my 2p (or 2c) worth

$10 is not a lot. I have bought the app for my wifes iPhone, and for my WP7 (Lumia 800). Both apps are fine as a casual user. I hope the new app has a rotational map as it is the only thing I miss.

If the new app is as good as you say, $30 is not a lot either for a Premium Membership. I will be happy to pay $30 to subscribe to the content.

Maybe I am too laid back about such trivial things. There are more important things in life. I am happy to see my kids faces when they find a cache, and one of those faces is worth a years subscription!

BTW, do we have an official release date for the new app yet? I am looking forward to it, but my tea is more important at the moment

BTW, do we have an official release date for the new app yet? I am looking forward to it, but my tea is more important at the moment

Release date? Any minute now. :lol: In post #143 I give a link to the "old" Geocaching App in the Windows Phone marketplace, and that page states that Geocaching Live is already available in the marketplace. But it's not. As someone else mentioned, brand new apps take a few days to show up.

Geocaching apps for iPhone, Android and WP7 cost 10 USD. Other platform users are free to use theirs with unlimited listings (as in number unlimited not in cache type or whatever), which IS NOT a premium feature. This feature is now being taken from WP7 users, who already paid for it.

Today I picked up some caches, so how an average use of the application for an occasional cacher looks like: Me and my wife were on a walk around our city. I said: Hey, what if I looked for caches around? I launched the app, had it list surrounding caches and went through all the details, because I wanted just easy-to-find caches (no mysteries, no multis, no whatever, just classics) and I wanted them on our route. In the new app without a PM, this is something I will not be able to do, because I will be limited to just three cache details a day. Know what? Than I'm done with Geocaching. I don't use apps and services, that bother me.

I noticed a not so strange thing: Many, almost all, of those, who are trying to bagatelize this trick Groundspeak is playing by saying that we should just get a PM to be able to use features we already paid for, already are PMs. In Czech we have a saying, that the one, who's well fed doesn't believe the hungry. As an occasional cacher (I pick up about 0,54 cache a MONTH) I'm not interested in switching my current and already purchased business model into one Groundspeak considers more profitable (on my expense of course). I will most certainly not pay USD 30 a year which makes USD 4,7 a cache for me. Is it that hard to understand? With this change, Groundspeak is slowly but effectively turning Geocaching into a paid service and throwing those, who are not willing to pay, off the board, because the limitations of being a basic member make Geocaching almost unusable.

I also am not happy with the reccomendation to settle with Groundspeak politely and privately. At first I don't consider three months of free PM an adequate value to exchange for closing support of the old app. I don't want premium features, I just want to be able to get unlimited cache details (which IS NOT a premium feature, anyone can do it on the website). The decision is entirely up to Groundspeak, so if they choose to settle with PM, I would request three years of it as I stated before. Not because I'm greedy, but because I want the one and only feature they are taking from us, paying customers. At second I don't agree with Groundspeak cheating on its customers and settling the disagreements only with those, who beg them personally and quietly. I feel, that Groundspeak should step up, apologize to ALL cheated Windows Phone users and offer a reasonable solution of the problem they caused trying to boost the revenue of this community-driven service. I really don't consider an e-mail notice that they are closing the business fair. Of course I personally still didn't get that e-mail about the termination of the service.

It is true, that Groundspeak published an update for the current WP7 app yesterday. I don't know what it fixed, but I certainly know that there's still the bug in the cache-list, which makes it almost unscrollable, because the caches are to responsive for tapping, so details keep popping up even if I try to scroll through the list. This doesn't happen with any other WP7 app I'm using.

Geocaching apps for iPhone, Android and WP7 cost 10 USD. Other platform users are free to use theirs with unlimited listings (as in number unlimited not in cache type or whatever), which IS NOT a premium feature. This feature is now being taken from WP7 users, who already paid for it.

Today I picked up some caches, so how an average use of the application for an occasional cacher looks like: Me and my wife were on a walk around our city. I said: Hey, what if I looked for caches around? I launched the app, had it list surrounding caches and went through all the details, because I wanted just easy-to-find caches (no mysteries, no multis, no whatever, just classics) and I wanted them on our route. In the new app without a PM, this is something I will not be able to do, because I will be limited to just three cache details a day. Know what? Than I'm done with Geocaching. I don't use apps and services, that bother me.

I noticed a not so strange thing: Many, almost all, of those, who are trying to bagatelize this trick Groundspeak is playing by saying that we should just get a PM to be able to use features we already paid for, already are PMs. In Czech we have a saying, that the one, who's well fed doesn't believe the hungry. As an occasional cacher (I pick up about 0,54 cache a MONTH) I'm not interested in switching my current and already purchased business model into one Groundspeak considers more profitable (on my expense of course). I will most certainly not pay USD 30 a year which makes USD 4,7 a cache for me. Is it that hard to understand? With this change, Groundspeak is slowly but effectively turning Geocaching into a paid service and throwing those, who are not willing to pay, off the board, because the limitations of being a basic member make Geocaching almost unusable.

I also am not happy with the recommendation to settle with Groundspeak politely and privately. At first I don't consider three months of free PM an adequate value to exchange for closing support of the old app. I don't want premium features, I just want to be able to get unlimited cache details (which IS NOT a premium feature, anyone can do it on the website). The decision is entirely up to Groundspeak, so if they choose to settle with PM, I would request three years of it as I stated before. Not because I'm greedy, but because I want the one and only feature they are taking from us, paying customers. At second I don't agree with Groundspeak cheating on its customers and settling the disagreements only with those, who beg them personally and quietly. I feel, that Groundspeak should step up, apologize to ALL cheated Windows Phone users and offer a reasonable solution of the problem they caused trying to boost the revenue of this community-driven service. I really don't consider an e-mail notice that they are closing the business fair. Of course I personally still didn't get that e-mail about the termination of the service.

It is true, that Groundspeak published an update for the current WP7 app yesterday. I don't know what it fixed, but I certainly know that there's still the bug in the cache-list, which makes it almost unscrollable, because the caches are to responsive for tapping, so details keep popping up even if I try to scroll through the list. This doesn't happen with any other WP7 app I'm using.

Okay guys. Do you all want the simple answer? We all agreed this this! Did you ever read the EULA for the software you are using? Do you read the EULA for anything you purchase? It was written in 2010 and even back then it says Groundspeak can discontinue your license to use the application at any time. I can understand that some people feel cheated, unfortunately you have no real argument. Maybe next time you'll read the eula.

Three cache details a day for someone who finds 0.54 caches a month shouldn't be a problem. You'll still be able to see terrain and difficulty ratings so you'll still be able to find an easy one. Of course that won't be an issue for another year.

Oh! Could you please tell me, where could I have read and agreed the EULA BEFORE I paid for the APP? Because the only place, where one can read it, is INSIDE the app.

By the way you did not understand, what I tried to explain about casual geocaching. And please don't ever again try to determine, what is or what is not a problem for me, this is some kind of bad habit in here. It seems like anyone should be sporting for at least ten caches a day with Colorado in hand and Premium membership paid. Well, guess what. Different users, different tastes. I just wonder, if those hundreds of thousands of people, who created and maintained caches are so happy with Geocaching being a paid service, so they are giving their effort into Groundspeaks revenue for free.

I paid for a smartphone app, because that is the way I want to enjoy Geocaching. If I wanted to get more serious, I would have spent on PM and a GPS device. Instead I decided to pay for an app with a specific set of features, which I want to use. It's as simple as that.

Oh! Could you please tell me, where could I have read and agreed the EULA BEFORE I paid for the APP? Because the only place, where one can read it, is INSIDE the app.

By the way you did not understand, what I tried to explain about casual geocaching. And please don't ever again try to determine, what is or what is not a problem for me, this is some kind of bad habit in here. It seems like anyone should be sporting for at least ten caches a day with Colorado in hand and Premium membership paid. Well, guess what. Different users, different tastes. I just wonder, if those hundreds of thousands of people, who created and maintained caches are so happy with Geocaching being a paid service, so they are giving their effort into Groundspeaks revenue for free.

I paid for a smartphone app, because that is the way I want to enjoy Geocaching. If I wanted to get more serious, I would have spent on PM and a GPS device. Instead I decided to pay for an app with a specific set of features, which I want to use. It's as simple as that.

Thank you AmorFati. You are a smart guy. You know exactly what you're (and I'm) talking about. :D

I gave it some more thought and I came up with an alternative settlement to 3 years of PM I requested. If Groundspeak wants to stop development of the current app, so be it. But the current API should be kept up and running.

So I will be OK, if the app gets pulled from the Marketplace, so noone else could buy it and be cheated. I already have a XAP downloaded, so I will be able to install it anytime in the future in case of hard-reset of the phone. Groundspeak should however postpone the date of the API termination to... let's say end of 2015. This way there will be a slow but continuing decline in the number of users using this API. At that time almost noone will be using it I guess. I think this solution should be easily acceptable for both sides.

I can live with the app in it's current state even if it has the nasty bug in the cachelist. It's no longer freezing, it supports resuming, so I don't complain much.

The new WP7 app is now avalible in the Marketplace.

http://www.windowsphone.com/sv-SE/apps/33e84192-f9f3-425a-840d-dd2907808b33

Just downloaded it. the one thing I was hoping for is missing still. Rotating maps!!!

Compass is better though. Going to take up my trial membership tonight

Not many new things that I have noticed so far.

•  
  • Some more features for searching
  • Hardware compass
  • Live Tiles
  • Some small layout changes

For me this is more an MANGO version of the existing app, not a new app. The EULA is dated 2010 so it is quite obvious it is the old app with some small new features.

Anyway, me beeing a Premium member already I don't complan I finialy got a hardware compass.

Edited by TheLadybug

The new WP7 app is now avalible in the Marketplace.

http://www.windowsphone.com/sv-SE/apps/33e84192-f9f3-425a-840d-dd2907808b33

Just downloaded it. the one thing I was hoping for is missing still. Rotating maps!!!

Compass is better though. Going to take up my trial membership tonight

Not many new things that I have noticed so far.

•  
  • Some more features for searching
  • Hardware compass
  • Live Tiles
  • Some small layout changes

For me this is more an MANGO version of the existing app, not a new app. The EULA is dated 2010 so it is quite obvious it is the old app with some small new features.

Anyway, me beeing a Premium member already I don't complan I finialy got a hardware compass.

I don't know where you're from Ladybug, but most of that page is not in English, and I had to figure out I had to click the "Kontrollera min Marketplace" link to send it to my device. :D

It absolutely does NOT show up yet in a seach of the American, English language marketplace. Shows up at the bottom of a search of the marketplace on my phone, but I still don't see it on a web browser search. And my phone does NOT tell me an update to the Geocaching App is available. Which makes sense, since it's a totally new App, not an update to an existing one.

Haven't used it to look for a cache, but I imagine I'll check it out later on an easy previous find. First observation is I can scroll through the previously over sensitive cache list without the annoyance of mistakenly opening up the wrong one.

Edited by Mr.Yuck

I don't know where you're from Ladybug, but most of that page is not in English, and I had to figure out I had to click the "Kontrollera min Marketplace" link to send it to my device. :D

It absolutely does NOT show up yet in a seach of the American, English language marketplace. Shows up at the bottom of a search of the marketplace on my phone, but I still don't see it on a web browser search. And my phone does NOT tell me an update to the Geocaching App is available. Which makes sense, since it's a totally new App, not an update to an existing one.

Haven't used it to look for a cache, but I imagine I'll check it out later on an easy previous find. First observation is I can scroll through the previously over sensitive cache list without the annoyance of mistakenly opening up the wrong one.

Sorry, the link I posted was to the app on the Sweden Marketplace. Here is a new link to the US market place.

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/apps/33e84192-f9f3-425a-840d-dd2907808b33

Well, that's even more "cooler". So the new app is the old one just using the new API (meaning parsing different XML, what a job), just re-released to screw current customers and forcethem to pay for premium. Very well, Groundspeak. Even more cheating than we expected :-(

Well, that's even more "cooler". So the new app is the old one just using the new API (meaning parsing different XML, what a job), just re-released to screw current customers and forcethem to pay for premium. Very well, Groundspeak. Even more cheating than we expected :-(

Exactly what I was thinking. So basically if you're on the iPhone= you get to use your $10 app, if you're on Android= you get to use a $10 app, if you're on Windows Phone= you don't have a $10 app to use. So Windows Phone is the only one without a full app option for the non-premium member? All Windows Phone gets is a trial version, same as iPhone, except Windows Phone's trial version has less than iPhone's trial version. Yeah, real fair.

I thought, that geocaching was about fun. Now it's not, because Groundspeak is ruining it. Geocaching is becoming a paid service and it's starting to be not working for "free" members.

I really like geocaching, but I simply don't want to pay anything - no, 30USD isn't really much, but I'm not "active" geocacher. I'm caching only occasionally...

And I bought your overpriced app and thought, that I will be able to go geocaching every time I want... And no, I found 3 caches with it... that's about 3USD for one...

Groundspeak definitely ruined geocaching...

...There is a saying that you should not wrestle with a pig in mud. You get frustrated and the pig enjoys it. It has become apparent some of you are simply arguing for the sake of arguing and really don't have any concerns one way or another.....

7530ab63-5960-45e7-a51f-e4f87314551a.jpg?rnd=0.3819195

I think we've figured out who the pig in the mud is.... Thanks a lot for continuing to run our concerns through the mud. I wouldn't do something like that to you.

I was hoping someone could help me. I just purchase a Windows Phone 7.5 Nokia 900. I loaded the require Geocaching App and all is working great EXCEPT......I get the cache and the description of the cache but I have been unable to get any of the logs. I was wondering if the app does not provide the logs or am I doing something wrong in the app to get to that page???? I also notice that it does not eliminate

I was hoping someone could help me. I just purchase a Windows Phone 7.5 Nokia 900. I loaded the require Geocaching App and all is working great EXCEPT......I get the cache and the description of the cache but I have been unable to get any of the logs. I was wondering if the app does not provide the logs or am I doing something wrong in the app to get to that page???? I also notice that it does not eliminate

The app does supply the logs, you have to slide the page over from right to left. Your last sentence seems to be chopped off.

Hope this helps.