Placing a cache - Landownership

andytheanimal

I'm looking to start to place some caches and had a few queries around the rules on landownership and 'how-to' for the UK that I hope people could clarify and help with.

I believe rules state that you need landowner permission to place a cache.

1. Is this correct in all instances?

2. If so, then for a cache which I wish to place on a public footpath then is this still required?

3. How can you go about finding out who the landowner is apart from local knowledge?

4. Is there a draft template/email to issue to landowners requesting a cache placement?

Apologies if these are fairly standard queries but I cannot find explicit answers based on UK caches. Thanks in advance! :blink:

A few thoughts...

Here in the US - a visit to the local County courthouse will often reveal the Land Owner - (or their website).

Always approach a landowner in person to request permission. Be prepared with some literature and examples.

Even public land is almost always managed by somebody. Follow their rules or ask them.

I'm wondering this too but getting no replies that are of any help.

I'd really like to see an example of someone else's email/letter to get an idea of how best to approach this.

Again ---> don't use a letter or email. Always best to ask in person. Bring this brochure: http://www.geocaching.com/tools/default.aspx#Guide

Bring sample caches, Be prepared to answer questions. Offer to take them out caching with you.

Most of all be prepared to take a "no" answer graciously. You never know when You may need to ask again.