Montana 600

I was considering the Oregon 450 but have read a lot of reviews about problems and a screen which is hard to see.

There is nothing "hard to see" about the Oregon 450 screen. The early Oregons (200/300/400/400t/400c...) had a harder to see screen, but those have been replaced in the current models.

Is the Montana 600 a good GPS, my only other GPS was a Magellan Triton 400 which I had many problems with. I was considering the Oregon 450 but have read a lot of reviews about problems and a screen which is hard to see. What about the Magellan 610.

Take a look at the Oregon in a local outdoors store and see for yourself. I looked at an Oregon and found that even under the store's fluorescent light I couldn't read the screen. I think that was an Oregon 300, so what coggins said about the x50 series might have solved that problem.

When I've got the Montana mounted on my handlebars I don't think I've ever been in a place where I couldn't read the screen due to reflected light. In the dark with the backlight off... that's a different story but I can't blame the Montana for that.

Bah Humbug!!!!! I was an early adopter of the Colorado and stayed with it for 2 years before moving on to the Oregon. Big difference in user friendliness. I found the hi res screen on the Oregon to be a disadvantage for older eyes and hard to see the screen under certain light conditions. Now I have the Montana 600 and the lower res screen IMHO is far better along with the larger display and brighter display. As far as geocaching, it's every bit as good as the Oregon and exceeds it in the sheer number of caches it can hold. I travel frequently in my job so loading an entire province of caches is possible for the smaller provinces. The abilty to filter caches on the GPS is a nice feature. The customization capabilties are excellent also.

Edited by Styk

I have a 600 and find myself going back to the Colorado more often than not. The 600 is really a Nuvi with some geocaching feature thrown in. I cache with two or three who have the Oregon and they love them.

I don't know why you hate the Montana but you never pass up an opportunity to diss it. The Montana is the finest cache finding device I have ever owned.

I have a 600 and find myself going back to the Colorado more often than not. The 600 is really a Nuvi with some geocaching feature thrown in. I cache with two or three who have the Oregon and they love them.

I don't understand how you can compare a Montana to a Nuvi. I own 2 Nuvi's and 1 Montana and I wouldn't even think of trying to cache in the woods with the Nuvi. I really like my 600. Its' accuracy is a good as it gets, I don't drop signal in tree cover or in the city, and the screen is very readable even for my tired eyes. The ability to load previous logs, hints, full cache descriptions, etc... make it even more valuable to me. This is my primary geocaching GPS'r and will be for years to come.

The only complaint I have is that Garmin keeps having problems getting the firmware right. One day this will happen though.

I don't know why you hate the Montana but you never pass up an opportunity to diss it. The Montana is the finest cache finding device I have ever owned.

Thanks for underlining my post for me. I am happy for you that you are so pleased and notice that you don't pass up an opportunity to push it on someone.

A question was asked an opinion from someone who has owned them and, having owned many models starting with the III, I answered. If you look back on past posts, this isn't an anti-Garmin thing. I am as big a fan as anyone on the list, however why let someone spend 2 to 3 times more on a GPS when they would be much happier with the less expensive models. Why spend extra money without any value added and the extra capacity is just not worth the extra money. Other than the increased capacity, Garmin missed the boat on this one. It appears to simply be a Nuvi with Geocaching thrown in as an afterthought. As a Nuvi replacement, it excels, as a GPSr for the field, not really.

Edited by baloo&bd

I don’t understand either? What specifically does the Colorado or Oregon do for geocaching that the Montana doesn’t do? I’ve owned them all and the Montana does so much more. The ability to make customized shortcuts is amazing. The ability to hold 12,000 caches is adequate. Nothing else even comes close in the 60 some GPS’s I’ve owned.