Pick the best set of coordinates when placing a cache?

Team Earcheese

Hi all,

I posted this in another thread this morning but I don't think the post went thru. So if this is a double-post I apologize in advance :)

I have a Garmin eTrex. When I run the coordinates for the cache I want to place thru Google, it comes up differently. I know GPS's can be effected by weather, the curvature of the Earth, and all kinds of fun junk. I also know that this GPS is a little off, as would seem to be the case with most of them.

So my thought was to approach said point from a number of different directions 3 times and to register those coordinates in my GPS. From there I would approach said future-cache using all 3 sets and enter the best set for the info when I register it.

Does this sound like a good way to do it?

Cheers

mellowcheddar, wide reciever, Team Earcheese.

Averaging -- the only way to do it.

Multiple readings, multiple times a day coupled with multiple days.

Sounds like extra work, but it all depends if you wish to place it, or if you wish to place it 'accurately'.

EDIT to add: When averaging, toss out the obvious way off readings. They'll show themselves.

Still have access to Google, eh? Don't trust comparing your readings to Google.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

That will work. What I usually do, is I'll average the waypoints with the gps for a little while and then save. I will then walk away and approach from different angles as you have mentioned to see if I get back to the general area. If this works, I'm happy.

If I have time, than I will hike a little longer and then try and see if I can get back to my point. If I do, again all is good. If I don't, I will re-average the coordinates and use those. Once I place and list the cache, I will then monitor the finds to see if there are any issues with location. So far, I have not had an issue except for one that took me three trips to get the correct coordinates.

If you are concerned with your hide, make sure your hint will help them find the location once they get close to GZ. The most important thing to remember though, is to ensure you enter the coordinates onto the site correctly. There have been many publishings that I have seen that were in weird locations only to find out that the cache owner entered in the wrong coordinates.

Approach from different spots and let the unit "settle" before each reading over an hour or so. Average the readings.

Whatever you do, do NOT believe that the google map is any more accurate than the readings you are getting. Sometimes they are - sometimes they aren't - you just never know.

Averaging -- the only way to do it.

Multiple readings, multiple times a day coupled with multiple days.

Sounds like extra work, but it all depends if you wish to place it, or if you wish to place it 'accurately'.

EDIT to add: When averaging, toss out the obvious way off readings. They'll show themselves.

Still have access to Google, eh? Don't trust comparing your readings to Google.

Gigchee is right, averaging multiple times over multiple days is the only way to do it right. And what will it buy you? Maybe a few feet closer. A waste of time if you ask me. If you have a good GPS signal let your unit settle about a minute or two, take a reading and go with it. I have a few hides and that works for me.

That's the ticket!

The main thing is to not be in an "all-fired" hurry to git'er done.

Some GPSr units will do the averaging for you. Not for sure, but I don't think the eTrex is one of them.

OK. I'll get my 3rd reading today and average them all out and plug in my answer. I want to get it planted on/ by 3/17. It's an Irish themed cache.

Thank you so muuuuuch! :D