Geocache Idea

I posted this a couple weeks ago, but without a video. The basic idea is this: I record, on a free voicemail inbox, the coordinates of the final cache. The finders have to go to a phone booth, where they find the number of the inbox. Then, they dial it from the voicemail, and get the coords. How does it sound, and a new question, what cache type would it be? Multi or puzzle?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3LzrAOz96c

Edit: Skip to 2:08 for demo of the message. The rest before it is just recording the message.

Edit again: No need to watch the 1-minute "thanks for watching", you can just pause it...

Edited by Team Krammer

There used to be a multi-cache around here where the first stage was at a payphone. You had to find the toll-free number and then call it from the payphone. The toll-free number used caller ID to provide the coordinates of the next stage only if you called from the payphone.

There used to be a multi-cache around here where the first stage was at a payphone. You had to find the toll-free number and then call it from the payphone. The toll-free number used caller ID to provide the coordinates of the next stage only if you called from the payphone.

Cool!!

However - I know around here - they are very actively removing the few remaining pay phones. I know of only 3 left in my local area.

I wasn't able to find the original thread to merge them together, and I didn't want to close this thread because of that. Generally, it's not recommended to create separate threads just to bump a post. Simply replying to it will move it to the top, and your video, even though it's down further in the thread will still be visible.

I wasn't able to find the original thread to merge them together, and I didn't want to close this thread because of that. Generally, it's not recommended to create separate threads just to bump a post. Simply replying to it will move it to the top, and your video, even though it's down further in the thread will still be visible.

OK, I will remember that. I just did not want to edit my OP and THEN bump, for whatever reason.

I wonder how many people are going to call the number. And then call it several more times before they can write down the quickly spoken coordinates. Slow it down and/or repeat the coordinates so that people won't have to call multiple times to get the coordinates right.

Edited by NYPaddleCacher

I wonder how many people are going to call the number. And then call it several more times before they can write down the quickly spoken coordinates. Slow it down and/or repeat the coordinates so that people won't have to call multiple times to get the coordinates right.

I'll make it repeat the coordinates, but I can't slow them down.

Edited to fix spelling...

Edited by Team Krammer

what cache type would it be? Multi or puzzle?

Since your plan is to "place the voice mail number in a nano or similar in a phone booth with instructions to call," I'd categorize this as a multi-cache. If the nano simply contained a string of seven (or ten) numbers and finders had to figure out that it was a phone number, then I might consider making it a puzzle.

I solved a puzzle the other day, where you find a number not a cordinate,

that number you simply take your cell phone and dial, it is a local number,

then it speaks the cordinates you need, very cool made,

we even call it just for fun since it is a VERY cool voice

Cool!!

However - I know around here - they are very actively removing the few remaining pay phones. I know of only 3 left in my local area.

Many of the existing payphones here DON'T let you make toll free calls!