IE 6 and beta (nah, current) map tools

NB (well I thought I’d get in quick): I have posted elsewhere but still not really sure where to ask this question so if a moderator could please move if it's not appropriate here.

I use IE6 at work (I’d like nothing more than to move off IE6 but work restricts so no can do) and struggle to use the GS maps. I know IE 6 isn’t supported but if anyone can please help I’d be grateful.

The problem is when I go specifically to the map page to view multiple caches. The map appears and then the caches appear and then the map disappears. This used to not be too much of a problem as I would then just revert to the original map page. Now that tool has gone since moving away from Google maps (with good reason too so this question isn’t about getting Google maps) I seem to be limited to only one cache by utilising the link on the cache page to Google maps rather than geocaching on Google maps page.

Any thoughts please (sits back and waits for the “do some work” abuse...)? Oh, I can’t download anything on to this machine.

Cheers

I take it you don't have an i-phone so you can check caches and maps on your own phone, even at work?

Since the problems you describe are most likely the result of Groundspeak not wanting to devote time to supporting IE6, I'm afraid all I can suggest are lumpy work-arounds, which include (but are not limited to):

• Take your own laptop to work with the GSAK software on it so you can view off-line files of all the caches you might be interested in (in whatever time you are allowed to call your own! ;)) - I'm assuming your work doesn't have a freely available wifi network either...
  • If it's MAPS specifically you need, generate kml files from your pocket queries, stick 'em on a USB and open them with Google Earth

If your works PCs don't have Google Earth, then it's back to the personal laptop and if they DO have Google Earth, but you are not allowed to stick USB drives in them (do they HAVE USB ports?, or are we still talking floppies! - sorry, couldn't resist!) then e-mail the kml files to yourself at work to open on your work e-mail.

I expect GSAK has a kml file generator in it too, but as a new user for that I haven't discovered it yet.

Thank you so much, while lumpy the google kml is a perfect work around. :antenna:

You're assumption about WiFi and floppies are so close to the truth. We have an excellent WiFi but not available to staff just visitorsand on a changing code so even the IT don't have access. As for th floppies, all lap top users are given a portable DVD writer but not the software to use them, works nicely at home though :anitongue:

:cute: Must admit I do have an iPhone and didn't really think of that. Not as useful as the PC but certainly usable. Why on earth didn't I think about that??? I must have been to focused on getting back the original maps.

Thanks again.

:cute: Must admit I do have an iPhone and didn't really think of that. Not as useful as the PC but certainly usable. Why on earth didn't I think about that??? I must have been to focused on getting back the original maps.

Thanks again.

How about using your iPhone as a portable WiFi hotspot with your laptop? Works well for me when I don't have a regular WiFi signal.