Trackables and coin thief

Heid

Have found out that there are thiefs out here among us, people who call themselves cachers.

In fact they are only lokking for coins an TB:s to steale.

removed by moderator are two thiefs they don´t answer in messeges. All trackables *removed by moderator* takes

are suddenly missing.... sad when many kids have TB.s for a fun and send them..and then these idiots

steale them. :mad: buy your own trackables if you can´t keep your hands off other peoples property 1

geocaching.com say that you can report to the local police, it´s your property they steal

Edited by Eartha
remove accusations that cannot be proven.

I'm not sure it's fair to call these 2 cachers thieves necessarily. If you check the names mentioned, they don't have hoards of coins listed under their names. I think one has 2 coins he picked up in November and the the other has 1 coin he picked up in June.

There's one geocacher in our area that if you check under his name he's listed as holding 70+ coins and travel bugs. He's stolen 3 of my personal tb's and several more that I've brought to the area and placed. He's the definition of a TB and coin thief.

Edited by thehawkers3

I'm not sure it's fair to call these 2 cachers thieves necessarily. If you check the names mentioned, they don't have hoards of coins listed under their names. I think one has 2 coins he picked up in November and the the other has 1 coin he picked up in June.

There's one geocacher in our area that if you check under his name he's listed as holding 70+ coins and travel bugs. He's stolen 3 of my personal tb's and several more that I've brought to the area and placed. He's the definition of a TB and coin thief.

a "THIEF" is not likely to add stolen coins to his inventory.

We do not accuse people by name in these forums. A thief would not log a theft.

We also abide by forum guidelines about respect, and refrain from using words like "idiot" towards our fellow cachers.

I removed the names from the original post to protect those cachers from having their names besmirched here. Someone is stealing coins, but we have no proof who is doing it. Half the time it was lost, forgot to log, didn't know how to log, a child in the group took it (ooooh shiny!) and no one noticed, it fell to the bottom of a backpack...... Sometimes they show up days, weeks, months, even years later.

Do a forum search for theft. This is not a new thing. Anyone with a smart phone can use it for finding caches now, and anyone could be doing it. Thefts probably happened less when you had to have a handheld GPSr to search for caches that hold trackables, and that person would never even let you know they were there.

Now, as for people posting IBTL, those posts have been removed. They do nothing to help the topic, and I don't care for that in the forums that I watch over. You will notice this is not locked. We can discuss the issue, but all names will be removed to protect the innocent.

This is why i say......"Don't put coins in caches !".

If everyone just sends out a "PROXY" the coin stealing will end.

Side issue but I will not log or move or even touch the so called "proxy" coins. Just cheesy. To me.

yeah, i've heard lots of people say that and i really don't get it.

a picture of a beautiful coin is cheesy,

but a stuffed teddy bear named My Heart Belongs To Teddy, isn't cheesy.

BUT..... if i hoped to add a special coin to my collection, drove to the cache and found a "PROXY",

i'd REALLY be cheesed.

This is why i say......"Don't put coins in caches !".

If everyone just sends out a "PROXY" the coin stealing will end.

Side issue but I will not log or move or even touch the so called "proxy" coins. Just cheesy. To me.

You just gave me an idea. Next time one of my coins is stolen, I'll replace it with a piece of cheese (plastic, of course) instead of a photo of the coin.

a "THIEF" is not likely to add stolen coins to his inventory.

You'd think that would be true, but this particular geocacher has coins and bugs in his possession going back years. And as I said before, LOTS of them.

particular geocacher has coins and bugs in his possession going back years. And as I said before, LOTS of them.

Some people have serious issues and everything they do is designed to make people angry, then dare you to try anything, as a cry for help. Others just kept "collecting" til they have too many to manage (intending to photograph the TBs, log them, find caches for them).

AND some people just can't log anything right. So they picked up the TBs, dropped them off, and don't even have them anymore.

Even "stolen" Trackables can and do turn up again. It is not a 100% return rate (a junk drawer gets entirely dumped into the trash now and then), so expect any that you release will have a limited life span. If that's an issue for you, keep your Trackables. Make a new version of a lost one (I made a much fancier version of mine), and do not release it. And let the "stolen" ones go -- even if they reappear, they soon disappear once more.

there are several people out there offering to make a free replacement for your lost / stolen trackables.

so if it costs you nothing, then why not do it ?

I could list a whole bunch of reasons not to. Maybe some of us have had it with the intermittent reappearance of our Trackables, don't need the stress of deciding when and how to re-release them, and are content to just wait til one turns up for a moment (a couple of mine turn up about twice a year, so those should be left as is). It's kind of not the TOs who made them vanish, so maybe we just don't feel like doing all the extra work (even if it's "free") to release a TB that gets stolen again.

If they simply don't know HOW to re-release, it's fine to explain the process.

Edited by kunarion

i understand your frustration.

and like i've said before, i would NEVER release a coin.

they're just too expensive.

so keep your coins people.

send out a proxy.

Why do you have to dictate what other do! If I want to send out a coin I will. That is what the coin was ment to do.

send out a proxy.

Why do you have to dictate what other do! If I want to send out a coin I will. That is what the coin was ment to do.

i'm not trying to dicate anything.

it's just offering ......

-words of wisdom

-advice

-a suggestion

kind of like...

-don't eat the yellow snow

-look both ways before crossing the street

-always wear clean underwear, because you never know when you might get in an accident.

send out a proxy.

-words of wisdom

-advice

-a suggestion

kind of like...

-always wear clean underwear, because you never know when you might get in an accident.

But your wording comes across as dictatorial.

By all means make suggestions but please make it clear that they are only your suggestions, that come from your point of view.

There are still those of us who like to release real geocoins to travel. We know that the majority of geocachers really love to find a real geocoin in a cache. I think it's great when I get an email notification that says, "Wow! My first geocoin - Thanks for sharing this one."

Yes, we know that many are doomed to a short life but others survive for thousands of miles, or several years, leading a charmed existance.

I'll always release the real geocoin to travel first. Once it's gone for over a year then I'll consider a proxy item to continue the journey, explaining the history of the original coin on the coin's home page.

MrsB :)

send out a proxy.

-words of wisdom

-advice

-a suggestion

kind of like...

But your wording comes across as dictatorial.

By all means make suggestions but please make it clear that they are only your suggestions, that come from your point of view.

There are still those of us who like to release real geocoins to travel. We know that the majority of geocachers really love to find a real geocoin in a cache. I think it's great when I get an email notification that says, "Wow! My first geocoin - Thanks for sharing this one."

Yes, we know that many are doomed to a short life but others survive for thousands of miles, or several years, leading a charmed existance.

I'll always release the real geocoin to travel first. Once it's gone for over a year then I'll consider a proxy item to continue the journey, explaining the history of the original coin on the coin's home page.

MrsB :)

thank you i didn't realize that i came off that way.

we all type something out and hit the send key, not realizing how our words might be percieved.

i'll rephrase it.

OK.....

this thread is about the theft of trackables.

if we're going to talk about the theft of trackables we might want to zero in on geocoins, as they are probably perceived to be more valuable and so possibly are more prone to thievery.

let me say first, "I" have no proof of the theft of any trackable,

but the bottom line is they disappear.

I'm guessing that they disappear more quickly and at a higher rate than Travel Bugs.

it's definitely true that people collect geocoins, as there is an entire section of the forums devoted to that. it's also definitely true that some people might consider them pricey, as most of them are double the cost of a Travel Bug. it's also true that some people covet the valuables of others, and some go so far as to steal from others.

So... it's not much of a stretch to assume that some people steal geocoins.

experienced cachers that have released geocoins and have watched then disappear are probably less likely to release more coins, and some might even think that it's like

"throwing money out of the window'.

newbies on the other hand are most likely unaware of how quickly most coins disappear.

so..... I'm here to tell them that to avoid disappointment and to save money and to hopefully watch "MY" trackables travel farther, visit more caches and live longer, "I" choose to release Travel Bugs over geocoins.

I keep ALL of my geocoins I'm my collection because i like them and want to keep them.

If anyone wants to admire and hold my geocoins I'll let them do that at any events that i attend.

Edited by EXMAN

<snip>

BUT..... if i hoped to add a special coin to my collection, drove to the cache and found a "PROXY",

i'd REALLY be cheesed.

Pardon my confusion, as I haven't spent much time on this forum.

If a coin is listed in the inventory of a cache, that means it's been sent out into the world by its owner, right? What do you mean by going up to the cache hoping to add it to your collection? Do you mean adding its icon to your trackables page by logging it? Or by literally adding it to your collection? If you mean the former, you might want to clarify. If you mean the latter, that sounds like exactly the problem that's being described.

I've sent out a number of trackables and coins, mostly micro coins. I've had a number of both disappear, which is disappointing but I've accepted that as a risk of sending them into the world. I've just obtained a new coin from the Texas Challenge Mega Event, though, and I'm seriously considering holding onto it and sending out a proxy instead.

Edited by Cynsayshi

<snip>

i'd REALLY be cheesed.

If a coin is listed in the inventory of a cache, that means it's been sent out into the world by its owner, right? What do you mean by going up to the cache hoping to add it to your collection? Do you mean adding its icon to your trackables page by logging it? Or by literally adding it to your collection? If you mean the former, you might want to clarify. If you mean the latter, that sounds like exactly the problem that's being described.

I've sent out a number of trackables and coins, mostly micro coins. I've had a number of both disappear, which is disappointing but I've accepted that as a risk of sending them into the world. I've just obtained a new coin from the Texas Challenge Mega Event, though, and I'm seriously considering holding onto it and sending out a proxy instead.

i was trying to say that it's entirely possible that some of the people that are so anti proxy,

are those that would fit into the 'covet thy neighbor's property' catagory.

I agree with Mrs.B.

To my joy, I have had the opportunity to move many, many fine geocoins through caches. For me to then turn around and say that I would not risk any of my coins so that other geocachers can also experience this part of the game would be selfish. So I release, both activated and unactivated coins into caches. And have dropped hundreds of dollars worth of regular swag into boxes, too. In return, cachers who do these things get referred to as fools in the forums. Thankfully, the cache logs expressing thanks and the excitement of children being able to trade for something inside the hide that delighted them overshadows much of the negativity expressed in the forums.

The truth is, forum perception is not reality. Do trackables disappear at an alarming rate? Yep. But there is also a bunch of debris presented here as facts.

As one example, debris or info per your perception, a little more than a year ago a cacher was posting in multiple threads how "Every single one of their released trackables has gone missing, so they were not going to release any more." It sounded horrible. Being a researcher at heart, I decided to check just how bad it was. So I went through every icon and TB in their extensive (owners) profile. The results were surprising and enlightening. To me, anyway.

In their five years of membership, this cacher had released a total of five coins and TBs, spread out to very roughly one release per year.

--One had a drop log 3-4 weeks prior, and no one was listed as having visited the cache since. Not missing, IMO.

--One TB had disappeared from the original cache where it had been placed.

--One trackable traveled for over 8,000 miles over several years before going missing.

--Two geocoins traveled over 12,000 miles each before going missing. (One of these was 15,000+) At lease one of these was in a cache that met with a natural disaster; it wasn't a theft.

<snip>

i'd REALLY be cheesed.

It's likely that thieves review cache pages, looking for valuable Geocoins. The hypothetical thief in the above scenario won't know there's not a Geocoin in the container -- it's a "Proxy" replacement "coin" (sometimes just laminated paper).

Always move and track every Trackable, every time. If it's a gift to the finder, that will be clear either by the note included with the item, or on the cache page. Once it's "activated", so it has its own Trackable page, you can enter the Tracking Code, and read that page. It is highly unlikely that there will be an offer to adopt the Trackable to the finder, but hope springs eternal. It's safe to move and log any activated Trackable. Don't keep them. The only person who can add such a Trackable to their collection is the owner.

I agree with Mrs.B.

To my joy, I have had the opportunity to move many, many fine geocoins through caches. For me to then turn around and say that I would not risk any of my coins so that other geocachers can also experience this part of the game would be selfish. So I release, both activated and unactivated coins into caches. And have dropped hundreds of dollars worth of regular swag into boxes, too. In return, cachers who do these things get referred to as fools in the forums. Thankfully, the cache logs expressing thanks and the excitement of children being able to trade for something inside the hide that delighted them overshadows much of the negativity expressed in the forums.

The truth is, forum perception is not reality. Do trackables disappear at an alarming rate? Yep. But there is also a bunch of debris presented here as facts.

As one example, debris or info per your perception, a little more than a year ago a cacher was posting in multiple threads how "Every single one of their released trackables has gone missing, so they were not going to release any more." It sounded horrible. Being a researcher at heart, I decided to check just how bad it was. So I went through every icon and TB in their extensive (owners) profile. The results were surprising and enlightening. To me, anyway.

In their five years of membership, this cacher had released a total of five coins and TBs, spread out to very roughly one release per year.

--One had a drop log 3-4 weeks prior, and no one was listed as having visited the cache since. Not missing, IMO.

--One trackable traveled for over 8,000 miles over several years before going missing.

--Two geocoins traveled over 12,000 miles each before going missing. (One of these was 15,000+) At lease one of these was in a cache that met with a natural disaster; it wasn't a theft.

if in the above statement you're refering something "I" wrote as 'debris' i'd like you to point it out to me.

I agree with Mrs.B.

if in the above statement you're refering something "I" wrote as 'debris' i'd like you to point it out to me.

No, it was meant generally and not referring to any posting members in particular. Even with some members where I believe they post things without any factual information to back them up, there are other posts by them covering other geocaching fields where I have gained knowledge. I don't discount all of their posts simply because I may not agree with some of them.

i just read some of "Snoogans TB Longevity Clinic".

if a cacher that's been around since 2004 teaches, that to give your Travel Bug "a snowball's chance in ____", you have to make it hideous and wire your ugly little trinkets, with garage door cable, onto the tag with a extra holes drilled in it.

so i can just imagine what he thinks about sending a pretty little geocoin into the bad old world.

i just read some of "Snoogans TB Longevity Clinic".

if a cacher that's been around since 2004 teaches, that to give your Travel Bug "a snowball's chance in ____", you have to make it hideous and wire your ugly little trinkets, with garage door cable, onto the tag with a extra holes drilled in it.

so i can just imagine what he thinks about sending a pretty little geocoin into the bad old world.

I inscribed my signature onto my coins (coin/tags and standard ones) using an engraving pen. I didn't drill a big hole in the coin, but maybe I will for the next one.

There is somebody around where I live stealing coins and travel bugs. Another cacher and I have an idea who it is..pretty much 99% sure who it is. The person will retrieve them, then drop them in a cache. We will go to that cache to retrieve said trackables, and they will never be in the cache and that persons name is never on the log sheet as they logged it as a find. This person will also take them to a cache that has a trackable in it and say that it is missing and will drop a trackable in it...once again we will go to retrieve the dropped trackable and you guessed right...empty!! The same person has done it to one of our caches several times. It really shouldnt bother us as much as it does, but the stealing part is really putting a damper on our caching experience. Really getting sick and tired of this person. Whenever we see trackables we retrieve them right away in an effort to rescue them from the thief. So if you have a trackable in the northwest indiana/chicagoland area, beware!!!!!!!!! p.s....I would also like to hear your opinions and thoughts on what we should do, or not do, in this situation.

Edited by SydNix

There is somebody around where I live stealing coins and travel bugs. Another cacher and I have an idea who it is..pretty much 99% sure who it is. The person will retrieve them, then drop them in a cache. We will go to that cache to retrieve said trackables, and they will never be in the cache and that persons name is never on the log sheet as they logged it as a find. This person will also take them to a cache that has a trackable in it and say that it is missing and will drop a trackable in it...once again we will go to retrieve the dropped trackable and you guessed right...empty!! The same person has done it to one of our caches several times. It really shouldnt bother us as much as it does, but the stealing part is really putting a damper on our caching experience. Really getting sick and tired of this person. Whenever we see trackables we retrieve them right away in an effort to rescue them from the thief. So if you have a trackable in the northwest indiana/chicagoland area, beware!!!!!!!!! p.s....I would also like to hear your opinions and thoughts on what we should do, or not do, in this situation.

i would make sure that the word gets around,

so that other cachers can help you keep trackables away from this person.

i don't see any way to confront this person.

anything you try could even make matters worse.

I would also like to hear your opinions and thoughts on what we should do, or not do, in this situation.

It's always good to make a log mentioning that there are no Trackables (when you thought there would be), if you've looked through the contents. Leave no hint of accusing anybody, but when you find a TB, place it somewhere as far away as possible.

Even Trackables that were stolen and hoarded can turn up again. Sometimes a friend or family member looks up the Tracking Code, realizes it's an active game piece, and gets it back into play.

Lot's of good talk about releasing geocoins, but the fact remains you will not replace them with a proxy. You do not consider them re-releasable.

I, against many who disagree, do not consider any trackable to lost or out of your control once you release it. On the same side on the coin the expectation that in remain in circulation should be tempered with reality. You should be prepared for it to go missing at some point.

That is what happens.

If it comes down to identifying someone maliciously harvesting and keeping coins and bugs, we'll deal with it but most, and I do mean most, are lost without any evil intent.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Have found out that there are thiefs out here among us, people who call themselves cachers.

removed by moderator are two thiefs they don´t answer in messeges. All trackables *removed by moderator* takes

are suddenly missing.... sad when many kids have TB.s for a fun and send them..and then these idiots

steale them. :mad: buy your own trackables if you can´t keep your hands off other peoples property 1

geocaching.com say that you can report to the local police, it´s your property they steal

you really can't tell who the thieves are as they aren't going to log.

someone stole a cardinal coin and left a proxy, i take the proxy not knowing the owner didn't put it out as a proxy but was stolen.

I move it to another cache and am accused of theft via email by the owner because the next finder said there was just a cheap plastic card with a code on it even though on my coin drop i said dropped proxy coin not knowing it had been stolen.

someone stole a cardinal coin and left a proxy, i take the proxy not knowing the owner didn't put it out as a proxy but was stolen.

I move it to another cache and am accused of theft via email by the owner because the next finder said there was just a cheap plastic card with a code on it even though on my coin drop i said dropped proxy coin not knowing it had been stolen.

it seems strange that a coin thief woulddrop a proxy.

most of them don't even make a log entry when they do their stealing.

they probably dropped it and decided they wanted to keep it after the fact so they made a proxy and went to the cache and swapped the proxy for the coin leaving the next finder to take the heat for the theft.

i would make sure that the word gets around,

so that other cachers can help you keep trackables away from this person.

i don't see any way to confront this person.

anything you try could even make matters worse.

Accusing someone and spreading rumors, without proof, will destroy a possibly innocent person's reputation in the community. I do not condone this approach.

"NOT FAIR"....gave these people several messeges before this !

they have logged caches...so they are active !!.....messeges I´ve got back was pic´s

of "I give you the finger"..."f.. OFF !"..and so on .

i DON`T put names of innocent cachers on. or gusseing that MAYBE MAYBE they are thiefs !

several messeges is send to both these cachers, they are active !!

and responded by . "fu..off,", "i give you this ....the finger "

never any normal reply´s......I am not the only one who has contacted thes people

they was given the same answer, one is a 6 year old girl in austria !!

nice answers to give to a child !!

they probably dropped it and decided they wanted to keep it after the fact so they made a proxy and went to the cache and swapped the proxy for the coin leaving the next finder to take the heat for the theft.

well, isn´t the most "cleaver" to do....????

log the coin and then say they left it in another cache, but fogotten to log it there ??

and why these abusive reply´s in messeges when contacting them ??...if it is a misstake, explain, no prob

not so ever !!!!!!!!!!!

and why several coins...+ same misstake over and over ???

come on be real !!

if they are innocent, why not answering messeges in a decent way ?

why with abusive language back ??

why several coins missing from people , that these jokers laid there hands on !

do they always do the same "misstake" over and over?