Enter the Matrix

Carbon Hunter

I see that many of the EU and US cachers aim for the Matrix challenges - namely the FIZZY challenge (i.e. completing all 81 D/T cache combinations) and the CHAMPAGNE channlneg (i.e. all the whole number D/T combinations).

I am not close to either of these and they have not been an issue for me as yet.

However on the recent Sani Top event in March 2012 I met a couple of the old hands at SA caching and started wondering if anyone has completed either of these as yet.

And then after speaking to the 4 mad Cape cachers who were on a great caching adventure, I discovered that AndyT1 was very close to acheiving the Fizzy.

So here is a forum for SA cacher to log their FIZZY and Champagne acheivements.

Anyone have any idea of who the SA cachers are that have already acheived this (any GSAK wizards)?

compleeting all 81 matrix combinations

is just another possible way to add a bit of fun to your way of caching

and selecting where to go,

Since I started aiming for the 81, I seen so much new and cool

and it extended my ways of making new caches too,

I also cary much more equipment even on a regular cache day.

I still need a few combinations, the last few are very far away.

Dont take it for more than it is, a cache rating is very subjective,

some rank hi, others low, some are experts in hard to get or good hide at low hights,

if you are not the same expert, or just got a bit of bad luck, it is close to impossible to find or get it :-)

Edited by OZ2CPU

Many congratulations to AndyT1 on completing the FIZZY challenge on one of my caches! I heard of his plans during the Lesotho event and had to keep mum until he had achieved it.

Looking forward to the next spate of FIZZY tourists visiting Grahamstown to pick up the only 5/4.5 in the country. It's a true 5/4.5, as I'm sure the Crazy Cape Quartet can attest to. ;)

It is a fun "personal" challenge for sure and when I saw that in the 'states I would have to travel more than 1500km to find the one I am missing I became quite focused (my lovely lady would say obsessed) on getting that last very hard one in South Africa. Some of the places I have been so privileged to see are beyond description, and the folk along the way are equally fantastic.

It is a fun "personal" challenge for sure and when I saw that in the 'states I would have to travel more than 1500km to find the one I am missing I became quite focused (my lovely lady would say obsessed) on getting that last very hard one in South Africa. Some of the places I have been so privileged to see are beyond description, and the folk along the way are equally fantastic.

Well done Zambesiboy - a brilliant acheievement.

They keep rolling in.

Come on Number 3! Who will it be?

Champagne Challenege - you need to find at least on cache on the Difficulty/Terain (D/T) matrix of all whole numbers : so a 1/1; 1/2; 1/3 etc. all the way to 5/3/; 5/4; 5/5.

The Fizzy Challenge is to find a cache in every configuration of the D/T matirx (i.e. 81 different combinations). It is named after the first cacher to do this (a guy called FizzyLogic in the US I believe).

Explaination on the Fizzy

So far only 3 cachers in SA have achieved this:

AndyT1

Zambesiboy

iPajero

Would be interesting to know which caches we all need to find before the champagne!

We know that Henzz also needs one in the Cedarberg. The plan is we'll do this one together once we have done the Otter.

Looking forward to that one Henzz.

Edited by cownchicken

The Fizzy Challenge is to find a cache in every configuration of the D/T matirx (i.e. 81 different combinations). It is named after the first cacher to do this (a guy called FizzyLogic in the US I believe).

As your own link shows, it was named after fizzymagic. The link also says only that it was named after him because his FindStats program displayed this information, although it wouldn't surprise me if he was also the first person to fill in the grid. That was all way before my time.

As your own link shows, it was named after fizzymagic. The link also says only that it was named after him because his FindStats program displayed this information, although it wouldn't surprise me if he was also the first person to fill in the grid. That was all way before my time.

Thank you for the correction. :huh:

Thank you for the correction. :huh:

Not a problem. Lord knows why I was reading a South African forum, but I'm glad to meet you! fizzymagic's local to me and I've met him, so it peaked my interest when you said the challenges were named after someone else. I've always assumed it was him, but it was only after I read your link that I learned it was for a fact.

By the way, I looked at that first fizzy challenge cache, and fizzymagic's log shows that he still had to work to fill in the grid after several others had already been able to claim the find, so he definitely wasn't the first. Now we know!

Would be interesting to know which caches we all need to find before the champagne!fizzy

We know that Henzz also needs one in the Cedarberg. The plan is we'll do this one together once we have done the Otter.

Looking forward to that one Henzz.

Hi CnC.

This is what I need...

(2.5/4) --- Knife Edge.

(4.5/4) --- Blank Page.

(5/4.5) --- Table Top (Cedar Berg)

(5/2.5) --- Rustic, scenic corner.

Congratulations to Paddawan for completing his matrix - well done!

We also had the privilege of bumping into him (and his two boys) at the South African Fizzy Challenge cache just after he had signed the log! How's that for co-incidence! It was such a beautiful day in CT so us as Team iPajero decided to visit this cache as only N had been there in the mist when he found the FTF with Zambeziboy.

At the risk of starting a whole "what does the stats mean?" discussion a practical and philosophical conundrum for those so inclined...

Filling the T/D matrix also has another dimension, i.e. new caches might be "influenced" (not necessarily consciously or maliciously, let's face it these are by no means standardised) to create more options for those currently rare combinations (see FTR's post in stats). So, first philosophical, like all the other stats the "value" of the achievement will probably decrease over time as we've seen with "just numbers". So kudos to the first few cachers to achieve anything related to stats!

Secondly (and more importantly to me as a cache owner), how do you balance the D rating (especially at high T ratings) between making it a real 4-5 star find w/o sending a lot of disgruntled cachers home empty handed after a difficult/dangerous/equipment requiring hike/scramble/climb/dive/whatever? Especially when taking the hint into account. Placing a 5/5 cache amongst millions of rocks (or a micro in a Karoo-bossie... ) is easy w/o any hint, but will definitely not get a favourite from me. Manipulating this by creating mystery caches might be an option but again doesn't have "real value" as this gets watered down as people start sharing info (as should happen).

Would love to hear your opinions on this (and please let's stay clear of the "it's not important to start off with" arguments - we actually know that but can't help finding it interesting all the same!).

I have to agree with the last few comments..... I started caching more than 8 years ago - took more than 3 years to get to 100 and another few years to crack 1000. In the last year or two the proliferation of caches makes those numbers quite easy to achieve. Having different goals however adds a new element to caching - filling the matrix is just one of those. Finding all the caches that have a "5" in them is another. All of the caches on Table mountain yet another. All these are totally personal and do not impact in any others interpretation or enjoyment of caching. That is one of the great aspects of this sport - it IS all things to all people.

As thye would say in Zimbabwe - "Aluta continua!"

Look forward to seeing folk on Saturday.

Hi Carbon Hunter...

3 Capies it was again...

It was a Monster Hike... The toughest final straight one can imagine...

A 9 1/2 hour hike up and down Tabletop (Cederberg).

Crazy rock scrambles, narrow ledges, scary stepovers, ropes and chains...

But we made it...

The landscape up there is very alien..

It was as if we were on a different planet..

Congrats Cownchicken and Huskies...

It was great to complete the Matrix with you guys...

And we did it in style...