Nanos?

Are there old style nanos? I've only been geocaching for 1.5 years so I'm unsure if this is true or not.

I ask because there's a cacher where I live that loves to make seemingly easy cache hides with cryptic messages in his description that make me think twice. His hides are also untraditional most of the time.

For instance, one hide of his he makes you think he placed a nano on a metal structure when in fact it was somewhere else.

Anyway, I ask this because in his description he says "This is just a classic old school "Nano" , hidden in classic fashion."

Have nanos always looked like they are now? Or were they different in the past?

Anyway, I ask this because in his description he says "This is just a classic old school "Nano" , hidden in classic fashion."

Nano is a size, not a specific container type. There are many styles of nano-sized containers. New styles have come out through the years, but I don't think that's what he means. In the context of his description, I think you can safely assume that "classic" means "typical".

I'll venture a guess here, sounds like it is not a Nano, but a "Nano", quotation marks lead me to think it is magnetic, and is probably..hidden in a classic fashion, as one would with a reg nano, when you find it, you'll know what I am getting at.... can not divulge to much here. :D

The "classic nano" to me is usually referred to as a "blinkie" (or "button"): the little usually black magnetic containers the size of an LED or pill that unscrew into 2 pieces and are usually stuck to a bench or sign.

But I've seen small pill fobs or bison tubes referred to as nanos, especially on some older caches (2005ish, IIRC). Usually hanging in a shrub or small tree.

You might have better luck asking in your regional forums. Nano and classical style can mean something different in parts of the world, even different parts of the US, and it can differ from cacher to cacher. The original geocache was a large bucket half buried in the ground and I still think of that as a regular sized cache hidden in classical style.

I don't know if "old" = "classic," but the older nanos that I've found have mostly been the taller type (pictured a couple posts above). Always attached to something metal.

I think all of the caches that I have found described as a nano in the cache listing were of the type shown in the photo above. However, several years ago I found a cache in South Africa that I would certainly consider to be a nano. It was a small metal tube about an inch long with rubber caps on each end and a magnet glued to the side. It was probably about the same volume as the taller blinkie shown in the photo. It wasn't a "classic" nano but it *was* placed in 2007.

7f52a412-4292-4cd6-87c8-dc8b952f45d9.jpg?rnd=0.4402386

The "Nano" in question? :D

I'm notorious for picking up junk along the way -- "oooh, I think I can make a cache with that .." -- and have a giant speaker with a huge magnet on it. If I ever get that sucker off, you'll be able to find a magnetic 50 cal. ammo box stuck somewhere.

Edited by DragonsWest

7f52a412-4292-4cd6-87c8-dc8b952f45d9.jpg?rnd=0.4402386

The "Nano" in question? :D

I'm notorious for picking up junk along the way -- "oooh, I think I can make a cache with that .." -- and have a giant speaker with a huge magnet on it. If I ever get that sucker off, you'll be able to find a magnetic 50 cal. ammo box stuck somewhere.

Thing one - Is that a plastic Wyler's bullion cube bottle on top?

Thing two - A 50 cal ammo can with one of those big bass speaker magnets? Oh, this sounds like fun!!! Another source for big magnets would be older full height, hard drives. The voice coil magnets in those were pretty powerful as well.

Thing two - A 50 cal ammo can with one of those big bass speaker magnets? Oh, this sounds like fun!!! Another source for big magnets would be older full height, hard drives. The voice coil magnets in those were pretty powerful as well.

Oh! Now that does sound like fun.

I'll have to talk to the hubby to see about planning something along those lines.

May even incorporate one of those magnets into the "Texas Size Nano" I've been planning :laughing:

I'll venture a guess here, sounds like it is not a Nano, but a "Nano", quotation marks lead me to think it is magnetic, and is probably..hidden in a classic fashion, as one would with a reg nano, when you find it, you'll know what I am getting at.... can not divulge to much here. :D

Freakin yawppy! Didnt think you'd be coming in here. You befuddle me :D

Thanks everyone for your help!

Freakin yawppy! Didnt think you'd be coming in here. You befuddle me :D

Thanks everyone for your help!

Befuddling is all fun! Notifications sometimes peak ones curiosity!, Well at least you know what it is to look for, for now Muh! Ha! Ha! :):lol::D