Hardware: Can ANYONE give me a straight answer?

FolsomNatural

Very Discouraging trying to figure this out!!!!

Can ANYONE give me a straight answer as to how to get going on Wherigo?

:(

When I look for hardware advice all I see is a post dated July, 2008.

Is anything new since then?

What is the simplest method to get going?

(Android smart phone with GPS?)

What is the cheapest method to get going?

(Used Garmin iQue M5?)

What is the most common hardware/software combination to play the game?

Is the Android "Whereyougo" the same thing as Wherigo?

Can I get an Android GPS device without paying for monthly telephone service?

I would VERY MUCH appreciate any enlightenment you can offer.

Thanks in advance.

:)

Very Discouraging trying to figure this out!!!!

Can ANYONE give me a straight answer as to how to get going on Wherigo?

:(

When I look for hardware advice all I see is a post dated July, 2008.

Is anything new since then?

Almost any mobile hardware will do. Search for Wherigo and your desired OS (Android, Apple, WinMobile, Symbian, GARMIN, ...). You are looking for Wherigo-player software. Often the term WIG is used for "W"here "I" "G"o.

Android - Whereyougo

Symbian - OpenWIG

Apple - used to be named PiGo, now Apple Wherigo‎

Garmin - Garmin Wherigo player comes free with Colorado or Oregon.

What is the simplest method to get going?

(Android smart phone with GPS?)

If you have one, that's the way to go. Whereyougo will do the trick in that case.

Hard to tell you "the simplest method". Since there are so many options we need to know your existing hardware, your background and experience. If you have a Garmin (Oregon, Colorado) GPS, it is straight forward. Download a cartridge, copy it to the Wherigo folder on the GPS and start playing (Garmin does however seem to have stopped supporting the software, bug fixes are still pending).

What is the cheapest method to get going?

(Used Garmin iQue M5?)

Use whatever you have. If you have nothing I suggest to get a used Android smartphone with GPS plus Whereyougo player software. An alternative is a Nokia smartphone and the Symbian OS running OpenWIG. These solutions should cost you around 60$ if you buy used and smart. You might be able to pick up a used watertight Garmin Colorado or Oregon GPS.

What is the most common hardware/software combination to play the game?

That is hard to answer but I guess Garmin Colorado, Oregon with Garmin Wherigo software might be a likely candidate for pole position. The WIG player came with the Garmin device. Second rank is most likely Android and Whereyougo followed by Apple iPhones running PiGo (now Apple Wherigo)

Is the Android "Whereyougo" the same thing as Wherigo?

Sure is.

Can I get an Android GPS device without paying for monthly telephone service?

Should be possible (legally unlocked, without contract), you might have to use a prepaid plan to make the phone work. Better ask someone who knows his mobile phones and contracts.

Can I use my Garmin etrex 20 to search for a Wherigo?

Thanks

AFAIK only Colorado and Oregon have the Wherigo software on board. I think Garmin has stopped to support the Wherigo concept and will not include it in future devices.

I might have forgotten a Garmin device that is Wherigo compliant. If anyone knows better I would love to hear the details.

The Wherigo website is a special web project. HTML frozen in time and space. :laughing: I am tempted to sign up for the email list:

E-Mail List
Want to stay in touch with the latest
Wherigo news? Join our email list!

Back to your Wherigo related questions: the above information is what I know about Wherigo. I hope some folks will chime in and iron out the glitches. Glad that I could help a little.

You did well. I didn't need to contribute anything. I will point out, though, that some issues with the Wherigo site did some up over these years (such as people not being able to log in) that Groundspeak did fix. However, you are accurate to point out no new features have been added to the site since it first came out. And unless my mail server has been bouncing emails, the mailing list has not been active. I do keep hearing there is push to go back to updating the Wherigo site, but nothing external has come of it just yet. Wherigo was ahead of its time when it was released, but something will take its place soon if Groundspeak does not get back to working on it.

Several months ago, I decided to add links to all the known Wherigo Players and Builders to my signature line.