Editing

elyob

Hi elyob,

why you're asking?

Do you want to edit one, or was a waymark you created edited?

Sometimes i edit waymarks, as example some misspellings ore missing quotation marks.

Editing is in many cases faster than a decline. If the same user is doing the same mistake again and again, i decline it with the please to correct it.

Regards, lumbricus

I was contacting the waymark owner to let him know that his posted co-ordinates were off. I accidentally pressed the edit button. Until then, I did not know that anyone could edit a waymark. I then got curious: should we be able to edit waymarks posted by others?

In general, my preference is to contact the original waymark author directly. This seems to me to be a matter of common courtesy. There are exceptions, of course. Adding a region to a waymark where previously there was no option for a region may be one. Other minor information items may be better submitted as an edit.

But, do remember that these edits go to the category officers for review. When I get these, sometimes I just take it that the one making the edit has the better information. If it is a change in coordinates though, I may have no way to verify which ones are better. The same may go for other suggested changes. If there is any question in my mind, I do not approve the changes. That is why it is better to contact the wayamark creator with the suggested changes/corrections/additions.

On the other hand, as I understand it, the editing feature is also an attempt to encourage collaboration. Once it is published, no one really "owns" a waymark. Still, if I have found new information, I think it is better to go directly to the original author first. If there is no response, then, by all means, submit an edit. Be sure to offer enough information about the changes so that the reviewing officer can make an informed decision. Why should your edit be approved?

what is the go with being able to use an uncategorised waymark and edit it into a category do you then own the waymark or is it still the original posters waymark. just asking about it as have seen other place waymarks into categories and there is still and uncategorised waymark for the said location as well.

would this be the best way to achieve a waymark into multi categories without having to load the photos multiple times?