Bike mounts for your GPS?

I have been using my various GPS with my bikes for years. From my ETREX to the Colorado and now to the 62S. The Colorado was lost, found and returned and finally lost again, no return all related to the junk that Garmin sells as a bike mount. It is a great resource to map, print and share the trails, elevation profiles with others and have a real statement of total miles, vertical ascent and descent, not to mention the geocaches that are on many of the mountain bike trails. The GPS must be along for the ride and stuffing it into a pocket in the back of the jersey is a not so good solution to the bike mounts that I have found.

The Garmin mounts are the WORST. The connection with the cable ties is bad at best and responsible for losing the Colorado the first and second time. The second time, I should have known better. I tethered it on with hook and loop. Unfortunately the Garmin mount broke and the tether was not as strong as I had hoped. On to the new solutions. Garmin still sells their proprietary junk. RAM universal has ROCK SOLID alternatives, not too pricey, just more than a bike should need. The universal ball joint moves around and sticks up too far. I have a ZUMO on my Dual Sport Motorcycle with the RAM mount and it is bullet-proof. Finally, RAM offers the same style of cable tie connection to the cradle for bikes and others. Cable ties DO NOT WORK. I modified the Garmin connection from a carabiner clip with a metal hose clamp. Best solution yet, but, the weight of the 62S will someday break the clip mount. There is a cradle solution for just about any smart phone or GPS that is made by RAM. I recently ordered every connection that RAM sells in an effort to address the connectivity issues.

So, my question to all of you that bike with your GPS, "What are you doing to mount your GPS, make and model?".

The Garmin mount for the 60 series is rock solid, I used that on my mountain bike for over two years. When I bought a cross bike I strung a spare GPS holder (that would clip into the handlebar mount) to the stem (and when I say "strung" I mean it literally, with a piece of string) and that worked out fine.

The new strap mount seems awfully flimsy. When I bought my Montana I didn't want that trusted to a couple of cable ties and a mount that people said was flimsy and needed to be epoxied into place to stop it breaking. So I went for the motorcycle mounts - a U-bolt and a universal ball. Yes it's big, it's a bit unsightly and seems like major overkill, but it works. For good measure I wrap the lanyard around the mount so that if I do hit anything hard enough for the GPS to bounce out of the holder it doesn't meet the ground.

"The Garmin mount for the 60 series is rock solid," Huhh? Am I missing something???? The only 60 series that I have seen from Garmin is the cable tie system. Same clip attachment. Cables are not rock solid. I went the RAM direction. I even ordered their cable tie system with the thought that if it is from RAM it must be good. I also ordered the universal ball set-up. Overkill and funny looks may be what I end up with. Given the great features of the GPS to the MTB community, you would think there is a better mount system out there. I did see a guy on YOUTUBE that used a food storage device as a mount to the bike. That was funny and useless. I will have the 62S mounted this weekend with the RAM system. I will update back.

"The Garmin mount for the 60 series is rock solid," Huhh? Am I missing something???? The only 60 series that I have seen from Garmin is the cable tie system. Same clip attachment. Cables are not rock solid. I went the RAM direction. I even ordered their cable tie system with the thought that if it is from RAM it must be good. I also ordered the universal ball set-up. Overkill and funny looks may be what I end up with. Given the great features of the GPS to the MTB community, you would think there is a better mount system out there. I did see a guy on YOUTUBE that used a food storage device as a mount to the bike. That was funny and useless. I will have the 62S mounted this weekend with the RAM system. I will update back.

You must be missing something, the one I have is a round clip that screws tight and goes around the handlebars, then a cradle clips into it and the GPS clips into the cradle. The only time the GPS ever came out of it was when I hit a patch of ice and went down. Given I came off the bike I can't really blame the GPS for coming out of the holder when it hit the ground.

You aren't confusing the 60 system with the 62 system are you?

RAM has great connectins no doubt. I am trying to have a low profile connect that is tight to the handlebars. The ball system, bullet proof has a higher profile than I am afterr. With all that said I ordered just aboutevery connectin that RAM sells to try and get the best fit for my road and MTB needs. I will update when I get all put together. Thanks

RAM.

Yoke Clamp Base with 1" Rubber Ball, RAM-B-121BU

Double-socket arm, RAM-B-201U1

Diamond Base with 1" Ball, RAM-B-238U...

...attached to the back of the cradle for your GPSr

For my 62st, the cradle is the RAM-HOL-GA41U2

i think you could also skip the balls and connecting arm and mount the cradle directly to the yoke base.

Not surprised to see this thread. I bought the Garmin bike mount for my eTrex30. It feels so flimsy I always swing the lanyard around the handlebars, in case it would break from vibration... don't think it will survive many miles of mountain biking unfortunately...

RAM.

Yoke Clamp Base with 1" Rubber Ball, RAM-B-121BU

Double-socket arm, RAM-B-201U1

Diamond Base with 1" Ball, RAM-B-238U...

...attached to the back of the cradle for your GPSr

For my 62st, the cradle is the RAM-HOL-GA41U2

i think you could also skip the balls and connecting arm and mount the cradle directly to the yoke base.

Maybe with the right diamond base with a socket that tightens... ??? In my configuration, the connecting arm is what tightens the whole thing in place. Also, having two swivel points allows an infinitely variable viewing angle. (I use this on a canoe thwart, too. And, on BWCA trips, I can leave it connected during portages.)

So the RAM material came in. Three different models and methods of attachment were ordered. All arrived. First was the cable compression mount. Cables have and will be last on my list. The constant compression of the spring mount, weight of the GPS in a cradle and the movement from MTB riding negated this mount. Garmin's failed before, so the lack of confidence is contagious. The handlebars have a greater circumference than the mount as well. Common on the first and third styles. Flimsy for sure. Second was the strap mount. Appeared solid. Just the short universal ball mount with the cradle made the mount way too high above the bars. More opportunity for movement. Both one and two would be fine for a road bike and I will use them for that. The third was the clamp style with a bolt connecting the ears at the bottom of the clamp connection -- under the bars -- and a diamond plate connecting on top. Unfortunately the handlebars have a greater circumference than the mount. Adaption time. Electric tape on the bars for a slip proof mount surface. Cut/Dremel off the sides of the clamp. Heat connecting end of a metal hose clamp. Push it through the remaining fitting on both sides and attach the hose clamp through the clamp and around the bars, mount the plate and cradle. Solid as can be. Some fussing with the hose clamp. No big deal. I have rock solid mounts for my Dual sport from RAM. Tourtech has solid material as well. Just for mountain bikes, at least a little bit of attachment finesse in the install. There is a cool factor after all. I would have orded two cradles had I done this all over. I can add pictures if there is any interest. All the best. Let me know what the others are doing on this. The cirumference differential is an indication that the maufacturers are not looking at what their product is mounting to or the conditions of use.

I have been using my various GPS with my bikes for years. From my ETREX to the Colorado and now to the 62S. The Colorado was lost, found and returned and finally lost again, no return all related to the junk that Garmin sells as a bike mount. It is a great resource to map, print and share the trails, elevation profiles with others and have a real statement of total miles, vertical ascent and descent, not to mention the geocaches that are on many of the mountain bike trails. The GPS must be along for the ride and stuffing it into a pocket in the back of the jersey is a not so good solution to the bike mounts that I have found.

The Garmin mounts are the WORST. The connection with the cable ties is bad at best and responsible for losing the Colorado the first and second time. The second time, I should have known better. I tethered it on with hook and loop. Unfortunately the Garmin mount broke and the tether was not as strong as I had hoped. On to the new solutions. Garmin still sells their proprietary junk. RAM universal has ROCK SOLID alternatives, not too pricey, just more than a bike should need. The universal ball joint moves around and sticks up too far. I have a ZUMO on my Dual Sport Motorcycle with the RAM mount and it is bullet-proof. Finally, RAM offers the same style of cable tie connection to the cradle for bikes and others. Cable ties DO NOT WORK. I modified the Garmin connection from a carabiner clip with a metal hose clamp. Best solution yet, but, the weight of the 62S will someday break the clip mount. There is a cradle solution for just about any smart phone or GPS that is made by RAM. I recently ordered every connection that RAM sells in an effort to address the connectivity issues.

So, my question to all of you that bike with your GPS, "What are you doing to mount your GPS, make and model?".

I have had this mount for my oregon 300 for a few years its sturdy and has never let me down. Very cheap less than £10 just need to wait for the delivery from Hong Kong, mine only took about two weeks.

Here is the bike mount solution I described:

gps_bike_mount.jpg

Nice. That is a high profile for the riding that I do. The mount appears bullet proof for sure. The weight of the unit on the lever arm and LOTS of rough riding gets to the weak link in the chain and chaos theory. i will update with some photos when I get the chance. Work is getting in the way of my play time.

Shouldn't the reflector be adjusted to +/- 5 degrees from vertical? :rolleyes:

Thanks, 39. Need to include that in the spring tune-up. :blink:

lawestpar: I will agree that it's a wind-grabber, for sure. But for our rides on paved paths and county roads, it suits me mighty fine. It was actually a bonus over its original install purpose -- BWCA canoe trips.

Right from my early days of geocaching (10 years ago) I have never been impressed with any of the Garmin handlebar mounting systems. They just look too fragile to me and I feared for the gps if ever I crashed. So, for the last 10 years I have used my same basic design comprising a homemade cradle base (an elongated box, 2"w x 6.5"l x 1-1.5"d) made of 3mm MDF, with a couple of semi-circular cutouts in the sides that fit over the handlebar, and crafted such that the gps screen is presented at the best viewing angle when seated on the bike. This base is strapped to the bicycle stem with a 1 inch wide velcro strap passing beneath the stem. Bolted to the top of the MDF base have been various plexiglass cradles that I have moulded to closely fit each of the various gps's that I have owned (Garmin 12XL, 76CS, 76CSx, 78s). I made wooden blocks to the same external dimensions as the gps's and used a vice, a blowtorch (to soften the plexiglass) and a piece of wood to mould the softened plexiglass around the wooden blocks. The sides of the cradles such that they are as high as the gps's are thick. Once the gps has be placed in the cradle a thin velcro strap is fastened over the gps, clear of screen and buttons, to stop the gps from bouncing out of the cradle.

When it came time to make the cradle for my latest gps (Montana 650t) I discovered that the price of plexiglass had skyrocketed right out of this world due the current price of petroleum products! So, I made a 3mm MDF open-topped box into which the Montana fits snuggly, easily kept there by the top of the gps being lodged under a small ledge at the top of the box and secured at the bottom by 3/4 inch wide velcro strap that passes over the gps, below the bottom of the screen, and attached to each side of the box. A hole was crafted in the side of the box so that the gps power switch can be be operated without having to remove the gps. A couple of coats of paint protects the MDF from inclement weather.

This basic mounting system has served me very well over 10,000 kilometers of cycle geocaching/mapping and many crashes - none of the gps's or cradles have ever suffered damage during the 'offs'. The velcro strap that wraps beneath the stem can be easily undone enables me to swap the mounting system between my mountain and road bikes in just a few seconds.

Nice mounting system and ingenuity. All of that points out that there is a severe detachment from the makers of the mounting systems and their intended use. Mounting on an ATV or bicycle offers the same vibration and force. A bike has a far more space and design conscious need. Perhaps the manufacturers perceive the bike riders on three speeds, a bell on the handlebars, streamers from the bar grips on a pink and blue bike. Contrast that to fully suspended bikes, made of aluminum , carbon fiber and cyclometers that track heart rates and calories burned. With all that tech on two wheels, the mounting systems need to catch up. My vote is for the following: Vibration reduction system of some sort. Didn't NASA develop Velcro/Hook and loop as a mounting system to reduce vibration? Low profile. Something that sticks up is going to catch on something sooner or later. The greater the vertical offset from the mount, the greater the leverage. Easily transferable from bike to bike. Some tech applied to the mount so there is at least a little cool factor to this.

Cable tie systems fail. If you are riding on a paved path, no bumps on your pink and blue three speed all is well. Make the GARMIN and RAM cable mounting plate just a little beefier (that is engineering talk for more stronger :rolleyes:) so that a hose clamp or hook and loop interface will attach and that is a start. The diamater of the bars at the center of the bike stem and bar are much larger than the offered material. Perhaps some person at Garmin or RAM will read this and get on it. Thanks for all the input. Great answers. I Geocache along the bike paths for some added entertainment. On MTB rides there are some GCs. However, mapping the path and vertical is a great way to map MTB trails in a printable format log. All the best to all those participating in this. We all use GPS as a daily interface with the outdoors. I would rather not lose another Colorado or other device due to the failure of the proprietary mounting system that does not work. I would love to see other adapdations.

All the marketing of GPSRs is at an active outdoors type of demographic. Bikes, atvs, cars and SUVs. Well the GPS needs to go along.