Geocaching.com site update March 13th 2012

I've just noticed this now, after a couple of 'mistakes'... Posting logs to caches no longer defaults today's date. I've inadvertently back-dated a couple of logs since the update.

Has that functionality changed at all?

I think this was changed in an earlier update. There have been several topics in other forums reporting this behaviour, but no response from Groundspeak (AFAIK).

I've just noticed this now, after a couple of 'mistakes'... Posting logs to caches no longer defaults today's date. I've inadvertently back-dated a couple of logs since the update.

I think this was changed in an earlier update. There have been several topics in other forums reporting this behaviour, but no response from Groundspeak (AFAIK).

Not sure what the problem is that you are seeing. I just did a test log and it defaulted to today.

Not sure what the problem is that you are seeing. I just did a test log and it defaulted to today.

When was the last time you logged a cache? How do you normally log your caches (ie. 3rd party software, field notes, or each one manually)?

I normally use field notes, and there's no problem there. However, if I go to log a cache manually, it seems to default to the last date I used when logging. To test this, I just went to log a cache, and it defaulted to yesterday, the last day I logged a cache.

That's what's weird about it. There must be some logic to how it decides what date to default to, but no one has been able to figure out what. It would be great if Groundspeak could let us know what that logic is, or just change it to the most logical default of today.

Just checked again and it defaulted to March 12. I've only logged recent finds with field notes, and I did that today. I posted a note to a cache manually via its listing page on the 12th. So that seems to be the date it still defaulted to.

If I click "Log Your Visit" from a listing page, it should default to today.

The feature of defaulting to a previous date really is only useful when mass logging caches on a later date (so you don't have to keep changing the date every time you post a new log). I think the explicit link from the listing page should take precedent in defaulting the log date to today.

When was the last time you logged a cache? How do you normally log your caches (ie. 3rd party software, field notes, or each one manually)?

I normally use field notes, and there's no problem there. However, if I go to log a cache manually, it seems to default to the last date I used when logging. To test this, I just went to log a cache, and it defaulted to yesterday, the last day I logged a cache.

I log all of my caches manually. Last find date was 02/29.

I log all of my caches manually. Last find date was 02/29.

Just logged two finds from the 8th. Closed out and went back in and the log date defaulted to today.

I know the Geocaching App is not intended to work on the iPad, but it was working pretty well on my iPad2.

Since I upgraded to The iPad "3" with iOS 5.1, the 4.6.0 version of Geocaching don't even open and crash instantly.

It's too bad that we don't have a working iPad version at least for a home use with the ability to share the saved tracks with the iPhone.

Or may be I missed something...

I have had a trawl around to see if anybody else has raised this, but whilst I like the new map layout (didn't like the beta) I really miss the ability to print out a map with numbers/caches on. I did post on the beta comments about this (and it was ignored!), but we tend to download the PQ to our GPS and then print a map with numbers & cache names for our desired 'hit' area to help orientate ourselves on the ground. With the new maps we just get a map with pictures of caches and have to handwrite the cache names on the print out - not very 21st century! :mad:

Whoop-di-doo!! They added a scale!!

Now I have something to look at while I wait five minutes for the aerial image tiles to load -- agonizingly S-L-O-W!!! And don't scroll or zoom that map or you'll have to wait AGAIN!!

Once more back out of Safari and back into Firefox with the Greasemonkey fix.

Sigh :-(

I hear ya there... I get my internet via satilite so it isnt overly fast anyways. PAINFULLY slow. I too have scale issues as well.

I notice there is a new status update at status.geocaching.com. Since things are moving at a snail's pace today, I thought I'd go there to see what might be the problem.

Nope. No help. status.geocaching.com reports that geocaching.com is "Healthy." Well, it's not.

Addition information.

System reported healthy

This is what I get when I try to go to a link from a pocket query:

Runtime Error

Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "Off".

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>

<system.web>

<customErrors mode="Off"/>

</system.web>

</configuration>

Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be replaced by a custom error page by modifying the "defaultRedirect" attribute of the application's <customErrors> configuration tag to point to a custom error page URL.

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>

<system.web>

<customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="mycustompage.htm"/>

</system.web>

</configuration>

I was looking at events to add to my calendar. I'd added a couple quite successfully and, on the third, the info above was the result.

Edited by two bison