Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
cachecatcher007007

Trash Caches

I have been thinking of making a geocache by scratching the name of the cache into the plastic and am wondering if that is considered illegal in california, or if that is against anyones moral. Can you please help?

Thanks!

-cachecatcher007007

I've read your title, and I've read your description, but I'm not sure what you are scratching the cache name INTO. Can you please explain?

Yes, please make it clear what you are scratching. If it is public property, the answer is no.

Edit to add: Don't scratch someone's private property either.

Edited by Eartha

Are you talking about this video? Please don't do this. It will look like trash and if someone sees it, they will probably throw it away. This is a horrible idea :|

There was a longer thread awhile back about this subject, over in "Geocaching Topics," but I guess this thread is posted in the correct forum: if a CITO-conscious cacher came across this trash, they would trash out the litter.

Caches like the one shown in the video do not meet the listing guidelines and should not be published. Problem is, not all hiders disclose the nature of their container to their reviewer, so a cache or two like this one might slip through the review process.

Are you talking about this video? Please don't do this. It will look like trash and if someone sees it, they will probably throw it away. This is a horrible idea :|

That video was ridiculous. "Find a place where the cache will blend in." So he throws the piece of trash on the side of a nature trail where there's no other trash in sight? That bottle will only "blend in" in a recycling bin.

The example in the video posted above is an absolute disgrace to geocaching. I couldn't possibly understand why somebody would want to use a piece of trash as a cache. That's not a cache at all. Thankfully this is against the guidelines.

I laughed at that video... And then afterwards thought "Gee, I hope it actually was a (bad) joke"

Not disputing that it's against guidelines, and it's obviously a pretty stupid cache idea, but which guideline does it actually break?

Not disputing that it's against guidelines, and it's obviously a pretty stupid cache idea, but which guideline does it actually break?

No logbook/sheet for one thing. ;)