Getting my gps to work again

ArtfulCodger

What does you Satellite Status screen indicate?

To get there go to Tools and then Satellite. The manual isn't very clear about this. Actually it really doesn't say thing useful at all. What I've learned from my experimenting is that a white bar means that it isn't receiving anything from that particular satellite (a placeholder I am assuming). A red bar means that has a poor signal, yellow is an average signal, and green is an excellent signal.

What does you Satellite Status screen indicate?

To get there go to Tools and then Satellite. The manual isn't very clear about this. Actually it really doesn't say thing useful at all. What I've learned from my experimenting is that a white bar means that it isn't receiving anything from that particular satellite (a placeholder I am assuming). A red bar means that has a poor signal, yellow is an average signal, and green is an excellent signal.

I'm not showing anything at all, and the coordinates listed have me in California, for some reason.

I'm not showing anything at all, and the coordinates listed have me in California, for some reason.

Does this link show the random spot in California that you are talking about? This is the Magellan Factory in the USA and the default location that all eXplorist GCs are programmed with. This tells me that your eXp GC is either a brand new out of the box or that someone has preformed a factory reset on the GPS.

You say that the Satellite Status screen is empty. This is an indication that the GPS isn't picking up any signals from any of the satellites. Make sure you are somewhere that the GPS can get a signal, outside is best. Within a minute or two you should see a colored bar or two. Once you start seeing the signal strength bars for each satellite appear it may take quite a while, up to an hour in a worst case scenario like AZcachemeister said, for the GPS to start reporting your location.

If you still don't see anything on the Satellite Status screen and want to be thorough. Take another GPS device that isn't having issues getting a "lock". Find a place where it gets a good "lock" on the satellites and then place the eXp GC next to it. If you still see nothing on the Satellite Status screen after a few minutes then it may be time to call Magellan Customer Service.