Hope to make first cache run soon

Woodduckdawg

I am hoping to make my first cache run soon and I was wondering if you make a "cheat sheet" or something to help as you check off caches. I figured I would just make a table using Word or Excel, but wondering if there is a better/easier way you use when hoping to do a lot of caches at once.

I've made a pocket query of my possible route, but trying to think of an easier way to keep track with the caches I encounter.

I just load up GC waypoints in my unit and go. I keep a small notebook handy so that after the Find or DNF, I can write down the GC code and a quick note to myself on what I took/left/etc so I can remember which cache was which when I get home to log them later. Of course this only goes for caches where I have no cell service. If I have a data signal I'll just log in real time from my phone.

Based on other forum posts, it looks like you have the Magellan GC? I believe that will track them as you mark the 'found' and then you can upload the Found_Cache.txt file to the Geocaching site for logging. A paper notepad is also helpful if you don't want to keep notes on the GPS. (disclaimer: It's been a couple years since I played with this model, so I may be mising a few details.)

Good ideas, I like to log caches using a smartphone, but it drains the battery. I would not be doing a crazy amount of caches, but hopefully more than I can remember.

I use the GC and still have a lot of learning to understand it fully. Never thought about using the GPS and using it to accomplish this.

Based on other forum posts, it looks like you have the Magellan GC? I believe that will track them as you mark the 'found' and then you can upload the Found_Cache.txt file to the Geocaching site for logging. A paper notepad is also helpful if you don't want to keep notes on the GPS. (disclaimer: It's been a couple years since I played with this model, so I may be mising a few details.)

This is something I was wondering about. My new device makes a geocache_visits.txt file. Can I upload that? Where do you go on the GC site to do so?

This is something I was wondering about. My new device makes a geocache_visits.txt file. Can I upload that? Where do you go on the GC site to do so?

View your profile and look for a link called "Access Your Field Notes" click on it and follow the instructions.

View your profile and look for a link called "Access Your Field Notes" click on it and follow the instructions.

Awesome thanks.

Never knew you could do that!! As they say you learn something new everyday...