How many Needs Maintenance a cache need

As it says how many Needs Maintenance does a cache need before a reviewer picks up on it!!!

We have a cache which is really manky and is muggled regular near us GC1MQ2Y Lost Trail its had 8 in over a year

Every log says how bad it is

yet even my emails to the owner to say i will take it on is met with no i am wanting to keep it

WELL LOOK AFTER IT THEN

Some times i wish i was the caching police

As it says how many Needs Maintenance does a cache need before a reviewer picks up on it!!!

We have a cache which is really manky and is muggled regular near us GC1MQ2Y Lost Trail its had 8 in over a year

yet even my emails to the owner to say i will take it on is met with no i am wanting to keep it

WELL LOOK AFTER IT THEN

Reviewers do not get copies of needs maintenance logs. If a cache had 8NM logs in a year which have been ignored by the owner you should put a 'Needs Archived Log onto it (These are copied to the reviewer) stating that the owner has ignored logs for over a year and it appears to be abandoned. The last time I did this (a couple of weeks ago) the reviewer disabled the cache within a week - giving the owner 7 days to sort it out, failing which it will be archived.

WELL LOOK AFTER IT THEN

Reviewers do not get copies of needs maintenance logs. If a cache had 8NM logs in a year which have been ignored by the owner you should put a 'Needs Archived Log onto it (These are copied to the reviewer) stating that the owner has ignored logs for over a year and it appears to be abandoned. The last time I did this (a couple of weeks ago) the reviewer disabled the cache within a week - giving the owner 7 days to sort it out, failing which it will be archived.

The fact i have found the cache a long time before why should it be down to me to Log A Needs Archived cos as i have caches near by my caches get targeted like My GC2CD2V every time i replaced it disappeared after i reported GC2XHHG

The fact i have found the cache a long time before why should it be down to me to Log A Needs Archived ....

Because you're the one who seems to think "something must be done", if you don't think you should do it, then why should anyone else do it?

Perhaps now you've mentioned it on here a passing reviewer might go take a look, but the 'official route' would be to log a "Needs Archiving" on it.

The fact i have found the cache a long time before why should it be down to me to Log A Needs Archived ....

Because you're the one who seems to think "something must be done", if you don't think you should do it, then why should anyone else do it?

Perhaps now you've mentioned it on here a passing reviewer might go take a look, but the 'official route' would be to log a "Needs Archiving" on it.

I asked one question and you give me the 3rd degree

I have had caches with one needs maintenance and the reviewer has kicked off at me yet there are ones which have loads and nothing!!

I asked one question and you give me the 3rd degree

I have had caches with one needs maintenance and the reviewer has kicked off at me yet there are ones which have loads and nothing!!

No one has given you the Third Degree :blink: . You asked for an answer to a question and people have tried to help you.

WELL LOOK AFTER IT THEN

The fact i have found the cache a long time before why should it be down to me to Log A Needs Archived cos as i have caches near by my caches get targeted like My GC2CD2V every time i replaced it disappeared after i reported GC2XHHG

Some people prefer not to post a Needs Archived log on a cache (apparently some COs react very badly to them) so email a reviewer directly with the cache details.

Unless someone logs NA or contacts a reviewer directly it's just a matter of chance whether they happen to spot a bunch of NM logs on a cache. And given how many caches there are, I'd hazard a guess that unless it's in a region where the reviewer does their own caching the chance is pretty slim that it will ever be seen.

WELL LOOK AFTER IT THEN

Some people prefer not to post a Needs Archived log on a cache (apparently some COs react very badly to them) so email a reviewer directly with the cache details.

Unless someone logs NA or contacts a reviewer directly it's just a matter of chance whether they happen to spot a bunch of NM logs on a cache. And given how many caches there are, I'd hazard a guess that unless it's in a region where the reviewer does their own caching the chance is pretty slim that it will ever be seen.

I will be honist i have done that and chris Graculus Was top dog for getting things done but i have sent emails to the new reviewers but nothing has happend (Sorry but its true) hence the post on hear.

May be there should be a report button that way people are not worryed about repercussions!!!

Some of us "new" reviewers in the South are still learning. I have only been doing it just over 2 months and I still have a lot to learn just to publish caches. The NM, NA and UC co-ordinates is something that I will be taking on in a couple of weeks time for the South area, once I have gone through the stress of changing jobs and moving house! So I hope in the South you will start to notice a difference and an improvement in this area. If there are any urgent cases then I am happy for you to e-mail me with details.

Southerntrekker

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk

Geocaching.com Knowledge Books

I cannot believe what I am reading here.

We found a multi-cache yesterday that had a Needs Maintenance posted on it on 09 Sep 10, then another on 21 Jul 11, neither of which have been actioned by the cache owner.

We have also posted a Needs Maintenance on the cache.

These logs all refer to the fact that the location for getting the information for part of the formula has been replaced with something different.

The cache owner has been given the correct information, so all that is needed is the formula to be altered on the cache page.

But has the cache owner altered the cache page??...No.....but he's reading this right now!!

Or does a Needs Maintenance not apply to the cache page being incorrect???

We found a multi-cache yesterday that had a Needs Maintenance posted on it on 09 Sep 10, then another on 21 Jul 11, neither of which have been actioned by the cache owner.

These logs all refer to the fact that the location for getting the information for part of the formula has been replaced with something different.

The cache owner has been given the correct information, so all that is needed is the formula to be altered on the cache page.

But has the cache owner altered the cache page??...No.....but he's reading this right now!!

Well stop wittering on about it and post a "Needs Archived" (when are these yanks going to learn to speak English correctly?) log on the cache. Unless somebody does, nothing will ever get done. Reviewers don't get informed about "Needs Maintenance" logs.

Pharisee...I am not wittering on and am not afraid to post needs archived logs.

We have posted 393 of them.

The cache in question does not need archiving, it needs maintenance.

If the owner is clearly not interested in maintaining their cache it does need archiving.

Edited by team tisri

While we're on the subject, this cache has had :-

2 DNF's and a Needs Maintenance in November.

Needs Archiving in December

Temporarily Disable Listing from Red Duster in December.

A reply but no Action in January.

Another Needs Archiving in February, which was deleted...

Another ignoring Note in February.

A badly maintained reflects just as badly on GS as a badly placed cache.

A Needs Archive IS confrontational and is generally taken badly.

There should be a better way of handling them, but that's caching... :anicute:

As said we don't get notified of needs maintenance logs but most likely, someone has found your cache, thought it needed attention and emailed a reviewer directly rather than post a Needs Archived log. Again, as said some people do it this way as they don't like posting NA logs! So the reviewer has looked at your cache and I'm sure they didn't 'kick off' at you as all our notes are polite but you would have been told to sort out whatever was wrong.

Another thing we get a lot of is emails reporting a cache that's only had a problem for a couple of weeks! You need to give the owner time to sort things out. The guidelines for cache maintenance say you can leave it disabled for 'a few weeks' which we interpret as 2 months. After that we may start asking questions.

When a NA log comes in we leave it for a week in any case to give the owner time to sort it out - saves us the trouble! Then, when we do respond and contact an owner we give them a couple of weeks to sort things out before taking action - which may be the big archive button.

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk

Geocaching.com Knowledge Books

As said we don't get notified of needs maintenance logs but most likely, someone has found your cache, ...

Looks like you messed up the quotes there 'cos that's not a quote from me it was Bazzer who said that! :huh:

Edited by MartyBartfast

While we're on the subject, this cache has had :-

2 DNF's and a Needs Maintenance in November.

Needs Archiving in December

Temporarily Disable Listing from Red Duster in December.

A reply but no Action in January.

Another Needs Archiving in February, which was deleted...

Another ignoring Note in February.

A badly maintained reflects just as badly on GS as a badly placed cache.

A Needs Archive IS confrontational and is generally taken badly.

There should be a better way of handling them, but that's caching... :anicute:

Yep. The owner of that one has many a cache in need of TLC. But he may just ignore any polite requests once more. :(

I beleave you are on about my cache GCMJ50 Multi-cache Pope's Meadow Pleasures (Berkshire)its on the list to do this weekend

all the caches in this area I adopted and on the 28/04/2011 i re done questions as was out and with over 100 caches i dont read every log anless it is a needs maintenance you have logged a needs MAINTENCE ON THE 11/03/2012 well done i will go and have a look

just goes to show what you can do by letting some one know.

Yes, that's the one that I was wittering on about.

I got a surprise when I saw you had started this topic, when we had just come from one of your caches that is in need of maintenance.

It's the cache page that needs to be altered, or else go out there and find something else that suits your formula.

Do what you want.

I'm not afraid to post SBA logs however, I only do so if I'm prepared to collect the resulting geolitter on the basis that if an owner doesn't maintain their cache they're unlikely to collect it when archived either. Recently I posted a SBA on a cache that's been reported as waterlogged for 3 years with 5 NM logs over that period. The owner archived the cache within 10 minutes of my SBA! I'll be going back to collect it shortly.....

On the other hand I recently had a little bit of a disagreement with a cacher who wanted me to maintain one of my caches because it was the only one within 10 miles of home that he'd not found. The issue was that the cache was out of position and more difficult to access than usual. My view was that it was well down the pecking order for maintenance because it was otherwise fine - guaranteed to be dry and log not full - and why should I be the one to employ ingenuity to retrieve it, not the cacher who wanted to log it so badly? In the end, he did retrieve it, but not before a reviewer had been invoked and had disabled it. Others then also found the cache and it was duly re-enabled without maintenance.

I wonder whether the OP of this thread is now receiving similar 'attention', in view of one of his caches in the same area being difficult to find :ph34r:

Haha John/Bazzer... some dizzy peeps go out of their way to post SBA logs; like really going out of their area to purpously seek them out!

They go out of their way to seek temporary archived caches, and bring them to the reviewers attention.

Sad thing is they don't realize their actions are confrontational, and are being seen by the rest of us as the caching police.

OMG what am I doing? I promise I'm out of here... :lol:

Edited by Mr'D

Haha John... some dizzy peeps go out of their way to post SBA logs; I mean really going out of their area to purposly seek them out!

They go out of their way to seek temporary archived caches, and bring them to the reviewers attention.

Sad thing is they don't realize their actions are confrontational, and are being seen by the rest of us as caching police.

OMG what am I doing? I promise I'm out of here... :lol: