Open street map adding features

I have been using open street map as my mapsource map and garmin GPS map for quite some time. I appreciate the ability to add roads and paths that are not present when I go out for a search. I'd like to gage the interest in the community in receiving a tuorial describing the process of recording a tracklog, downloading it into OSM and adding it to the master map. I was quite pleasently supprised when i found the paths I entered last night are already showing up in the Groundspeak OSM background maps this morning.

I don't want to sound like one of the many upset people about the change (because I am not, I actually kinda like it...), but all of this was doable on Google maps too. Why is it that no one was really into doing this with Google? I have many times, and will continue to when I find problems.

Never knew you could edit Google maps. Perhaps you could post a tutorial :D also, can google maps be downloaded to a Garmin GPS?

I have a draft tutorial that has been reviewed by Mr. Wilson and Company. It is a word document that I can save as a .pdf if needed. By reference of this post to the Moderator I will inquire as to the best method of getting the document posted here.

Edited by ras_oscar

Here is the first draft tutorial. Please feel free to comment if there are things that are unclear to you.

//---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The purpose of this tutorial is to describe the steps necessary to enter linear map features such as roads, trails and hiking paths into open street map using track logs. This tutorial is based on the process I use. It is not necessarily the only method. It is based on the hardware and software I have.

Hardware:

Garmin Etrex Vista HCX

4 GB micro sd card

Windows PC

Software:

Mapsource, available with purchase of a Garmin GPS.

Step 1: Prepare GPS to record tracklog

Settings: Main Menu->Tracks->Setup Record Method Auto, Interval Most

Data Card Setup ->Log Tracks to Data Card

Once you have adjusted these settings in your GPS they will remain until you change them.

Step 2: Record track log

Stand in the center of the path

Turn track logs on by Selecting Main Menu->Tracks->on

Proceed down the path as close to the center as is safe. If you leave the path (such as to find a cache) first turn track logs off by pressing Main Menu->tracks->off. Turn it back on after you return to the trail. For greater precision, I usually track my trip both out and back. The tracks will be slightly different, since satellite coverage, interference, and your actual location on the trail width will vary, but it should be very similar and should cross frequently. For greatest precision, hold the GPS in your hand with the antenna in the correct orientation. Do not put it in your pocket or a backpack. I put my GPS in my pocket once on a return hike and the track log immediately veered off to show me standing in a lake!!!

You can turn the track log on and off as often as necessary to record the features you wish to map.

Step 3 Save the complete track log

Background: On the Garmin GPS I use, there are 3 distinct track logs. In order to understand the next section, it is important to be familiar with how they work together.

Active track log: This is the track log that is recorded in the GPS memory directly from the receiver signal. It has a limited number of points. When you exceed the limit, the earliest points are overwritten. Only one active tracklog is permitted.

Saved track log: Once a track log is recorded in the active memory, it can be saved onto the memory card or in the unit for use elsewhere (the settings in step 1 above set the "saved" track log to save onto a data card) This is necessary in order to export the track log.

Mapped track log: Once a track log has been saved it will appear in the track log window and can be mapped back to the GPS map for immediate use. It will be named by default with the date of creation. You can use the edit menu to change it to something that is more meaningful to you. Multiple track logs can be created and saved, but will overwrite one another unless renamed. The track log consists of a list of points. The GPS will render a line between all of those points onto the map. If you turn the track log off, travel a great distance, (such as driving 30 miles and turn it back on to map trails in a different park,) you will get a 30 mile line from the last point on the first park to the first point at the new park. However, the track log is still recorded correctly, and the 30 mile line will not appear in the track you upload. I don't know why.

Step 3 Save the complete track log: Press Main Menu->tracks->save. Change the name, if you wish, to something that means something to you.

Step 4 Erase the Active track log: Press Main Menu->Tracks->Clear This clears the data from the active tracklog and prepares your GPS for the next caching session. If you wish to see the tracklog on your mapping GPS, select Main Menu->tracks-> select tracklog file->Map. I usually keep tracklogs on the card and mapped until I update the OSM maps on my GPSr, at which point they are now on my basemap and I can delete the mapped tracklog.

Step 5 Create an OSM Account: Go to www.openstreetmap.org. Follow the appropriate links to create an account.

Step 6 Upload a Track log to OSM: OSM refers to track logs as GPS traces. In this section I will adjust terminology to coordinate. Track logs and GPS traces are the same thing. There are 4 privacy settings for upload GPS traces. The options are:

Identifiable means that the trace will be shown publicly in Your GPS traces and in public GPS trace listings, i.e. other users will be able to download the raw trace and associate it with your username. Data served via the trackpoints API will reference your original trace page. Timestamps of the trace points are available through the public GPS API.

Public means that the trace will be shown publicly in Your GPS traces and in public GPS trace listings. Data served via the API does not reference your trace page. Timestamps of the trace points are not available through the public GPS API, though points are chronologically ordered. However, other users are still able to download the raw trace from the public trace list and any timestamps contained within.

Trackable means that the trace will not show up in any public listings but trackpoints from it will still be available through the public GPS API with timestamps. Other users will only be able to download processed trackpoints from your trace which can't be associated with you directly.

Private means that the trace will not show up in any public listings, but trackpoints from it will still be available in timeline order through the public GPS API without timestamps.

To upload a GPS trace to OSM, remove the data card from the GPS, insert into a card reader on your computer. Sign in to OSM, and navigate the mainpage, select GPS Traces->Upload a trace and browse to the GPS Trace on the data card. Select it, enter a descriptive sentence in the decription field. Select a visibility option and select upload. It will take approximately 5 minutes or so for your GPS trace to be inserted into the database. Multiple traces can be uploaded. The email address you entered when you created your OSM account will receive a message for each trace as it is inserted into the database.

Step 6 enter the linear element into OSM Map: Log onto OSM and select GPS Traces->see my traces. To the right of each trace is a link entitled "edit" Select it. Potlatch will be started and will center the map view window on the points in your trace. To pan, use the arrow keys, To zoom in or out use the + or - buttons in the upper left corner of the edit window. Pan and zoom to one end of the track log. Pick a point that represent the start of the trail. The left window will change to the tag window. The tags window provides standard metatags that are applied to map features and affect how they are rendered in the final map. For footpaths and fire roads I select highway->footway. For residential roads I select highway ->residential. Select the appropriate tag. Continue selecting points along the tracklog route. At the last point double click to end the way. Press save to save the change set to the database and enter a description of the edits. You may continue entering additional ways.

Refer to the help window for a tutorial of the abilities of OSM. Be sure to check out the wiki. Be sure to save often.

Now you're ready to download the updated maps back to your GPS!!!

Edited by ras_oscar

I would recommend hosting the document elsewhere and linking to it from this thread. If that's not feasible, write to contact @ Groundspeak.com and inquire about having the tutorial hosted on the Geocaching.com website.

I seem to recall that at one point there was the beginnings of a Geocaching wiki. It seems like a wiki would be ideal for hosting user contributed tutorials like this that can be edited to provide instructions for other GPS models.

I seem to recall that at one point there was the beginnings of a Geocaching wiki. It seems like a wiki would be ideal for hosting user contributed tutorials like this that can be edited to provide instructions for other GPS models.
You mean Cacheopedia? There were some technical difficulties recently, but it's back online.

I realize that there are probably better ways of managing turtorials. I just don't know what they are. If someone wishes to help me move this to somewhere that it will be available to a wide audience of geocachers, I would appreciate the help. I have been updating OSM maps for nearly a year. Some people contribute to the community by hiding cool multis. Some contribute by doing preventative maintenance on caches. Some by CITOing GZ. This is one way I contribute.

Edited by ras_oscar

For footpaths and fire roads I select highway->footway.

One thing I'd like to mention. Fire roads should be tagged as highway=track, not footway. If vehicles can be driven down it, it isn't a footway.

Like you, I've been contributing to OSM since July 2010, and it has added additional enjoyment to caching. Many trails have been added in my area over the last year, and I know of at least a few cachers in my region that have started contributing since the switch away from Google Maps.

As for the tutorial, yours is very specific to the GPS you use, and using Potlatch to edit. I use a Garmin Oregon 450, and use JOSM to edit. The problem I can see is that the tutorial will vary wildly depending on which GPS you have and which tool you use to edit. A wiki would work well for this, because users of different GPSes or editing tools could add sections specific to what they use. Cacheopedia might be the ideal solution.

For footpaths and fire roads I select highway->footway.

One thing I'd like to mention. Fire roads should be tagged as highway=track, not footway. If vehicles can be driven down it, it isn't a footway.

Like you, I've been contributing to OSM since July 2010, and it has added additional enjoyment to caching. Many trails have been added in my area over the last year, and I know of at least a few cachers in my region that have started contributing since the switch away from Google Maps.

As for the tutorial, yours is very specific to the GPS you use, and using Potlatch to edit. I use a Garmin Oregon 450, and use JOSM to edit. The problem I can see is that the tutorial will vary wildly depending on which GPS you have and which tool you use to edit. A wiki would work well for this, because users of different GPSes or editing tools could add sections specific to what they use. Cacheopedia might be the ideal solution.

My tut was written to take someone familiar with geocaching and introduce them to OSM editing. Certainly there are other GPSRs out there. The process of getting from ready to begin recording a track log to a completed way back in my gps isa the material I intendeed to cover. Essentially, walking someone through the process once. I would be concerned that adding muiltiple GPS's and multiple editors may make the process seem daunting and discourage a neophyte. Since you use a different GPS; Are the specific keystrokes the same on your Oregon or are they completely different? I am unsure whether it would make more sense to expand this Tut or write one in parallel for a different receivers.

Are the specific keystrokes the same on your Oregon or are they completely different? I am unsure whether it would make more sense to expand this Tut or write one in parallel for a different receivers.

The menu structure seems to be similar, but the way that it saves the tracks sounds different. That means there's already a difference between 2 Garmin models. Imagine what it's like between makes (ie. Garmin vs. Magellan vs. Delorme, etc.). I'd say there are 2 options on how to go about the tutorial:

1. Write sections specific to each make/model. That would mean multiple articles/sections for each major group (some models within a make could be grouped together). A user could pick out the section corresponding to the GPS they use, follow that part of the tutorial, then continue on with non-GPS specific sections.

2. Write the tutorial in a generic sense. Don't include any GPS specific points, but rather make it more general. Users would have to consult their user manuals to determine the specifics of how to use their GPS.

You mean Cacheopedia? There were some technical difficulties recently, but it's back online.

That's the one I was thinking of but could not remember how to find it. It seems like a good place to collaborate on a tutorial so that information about other GPS devices and the use of other tools can be described. I'm surprised that cacheopedia isn't used more often to answer frequently asked questions that come up in the forums. I realize that wiki's are not often considered authoritative but they're no less authoritative that responses on the forums.

That's the one I was thinking of but could not remember how to find it. It seems like a good place to collaborate on a tutorial so that information about other GPS devices and the use of other tools can be described. I'm surprised that cacheopedia isn't used more often to answer frequently asked questions that come up in the forums. I realize that wiki's are not often considered authoritative but they're no less authoritative that responses on the forums.

I for one never knew it existed.