Want maps on your Magellan GC?

savant9

I like messing around with things, and I had a bit of time to waste tonight so.... I decided to see if I could turn my GC into a 310. Well it turns out you can, and here's how...

Disclaimer:

The procedure I will describe works for me, but you are the one that ultimately takes the risk while crossflashing your GPS. This likely will void your warranty although as it turns out it is possible to turn it back into a GC easily enough.

1-First thing to do is make sure you are running gc firmware version 1.7, I dont know if this is important, but mine was at 1.7 when I started so I will recommend the same. 1.7 can be found here

2-Connect your GC to your computer and update to 1.7 if you haven't already, also make a backup copy of the entire contents of your GC (you can use this later to restore if you have to)

3-You will need to get a copy of the 310 firmware version 1.12 and version 1.17 Both files can be found here hosted by cacher Allory

4-Both files are a self extracting executable, but we dont want to run them we want to take the files from them, so you will need to extract their contents to a separate folder for each one using winzip or winrar etc.

5-For some reason my GC will not run 1.17, it keeps saying "restarting to improve performance" and it gets stuck in an infinite reboot loop so that is why we run 1.12, but we do need a couple files from 1.17 (at least I think we do, you could try skipping this step but it is something I did so I know that it works). In the extracted files of 1.17 go to the folder titled "copy group 5" and copy the 4 files from there into the root folder of the GC. ( the root folder is not a folder titled root, its just the main folder as in D:\ or whatever drive letter your gc shows up as, but I will call it D:\ for the rest of this)

6-Disconnect the usb and let it reboot, it will say installing update and will eventually reboot but it will still be a GC, thats good.

7-Reconnect the usb. Make sure you have a backup of every file on your GC, and then completely delete everything on it, do not unplug the usb at this point or there could be serious trouble. Create a folder in the root of the GC called "App"

8-Now we will need to browse to the extracted files of 310 v1.12, and start copying some over;

-- in copy group 1, transfer the demo folder to D:\App\

-- in copy group 2, transfer all 6 files to D:\App\

-- in copy group 3, transfer the one file to D:\App\

-- in copy group 4, transfer all 7 files to D:\App\

-- in copy group 6, transfer all files to D:\App\

-- in copy group 8, transfer the folder to D:\ (this may create itself but just to be sure put it there any way)

9-Now you are ready to disconnect, it will reboot and ask for language settings etc, and may reboot once on its own, but you now have a green Magellan 310

10-The basemap is now gone, but you can reinstall a new one using the Vantage point software as it has one included. You can also install various other free maps from websites like http://www.magicmaps.ca

Have fun!

Side note, when you have it hooked up to vantage point it will probably tell you that a newer software version is available. Dont bother running the update as it will just fail anyway. Even though it is now a 310, the installer will throw up an error saying that it isnt a 310.

If at any time you want it back to being a gc, just delete everything on it and copy your backup files back onto it.

Has anyone been tried this with National Geographic TOPO maps from their software? I was thinking of buying the New York & New Jersey version to print paper maps, but it would be a great perk if it can also load maps into a GC with this mod.

I also have MOBAC, but still need to learn more about how to use it. Can that load Esri maps? or should I stick to the OSM Terrain maps.

I've worked with both for an online mapping site, and find both good, but sometimes one has strengths over the other

I did a blog on MOBAC for Magellan eXplorist recently. It's for Ordnance Survey maps, but the process is identical which ever maps you choose.

I am just startingnout geocaching and I am not able to put waypoints on my magalin gc.

Version 2.15, click on waypoints, click MENU, click ADD WAYPOINT, then choose which you option you want (CURRENT LOCATION, POINT ON MAP, COORDINATES, or PROJECTION. then when your done, there should be a icon on the bottom that looks like an old floppy. click on that will save your waypoint.

Another quick way is while on the map screen, hit MENU, then the first option is ADD WAYPOINT, then just click the floppy icon on the bottom to waypoint your current position

Edited by gpsblake

Has anyone been tried this with National Geographic TOPO maps from their software? I was thinking of buying the New York & New Jersey version to print paper maps, but it would be a great perk if it can also load maps into a GC with this mod.

I guess I have this question too. Personally, I live in a sub-arctic climate :P and have only found 5 caches since the 2.13 firmware was released. So seeing as it's a one year subscription, I wasn't going to bother with it until Mid-March at the earliest.

With version 2.15 for the GC, you won't need to hack it into a 310 to get Nat Geo maps, but you still get more features like a night map, better dashboard screens, ability to search by city and some other goodies.

When you first bumped this thread the other day, I was curious as to why you would still want to hack it to a 310 with 2.13 and 2.15 out there, but I guess that answers my question. :)

When you first bumped this thread the other day, I was curious as to why you would still want to hack it to a 310 with 2.13 and 2.15 out there, but I guess that answers my question. :)

Plus it's kind of fun. I got copies of all my files for both the 310 and GC 2.15 (and 1.70). All I have to do now to switch my 310 back to a GC or vice-versa is delete out all the files in the unit EXCEPT for the map. Then copy the other version back. Takes all about about 3 minutes to do.

Still no way to upgrade a hacked GC 310 from version 1.2 to 1.9, it goes into an infinite loop of trying to enhancing performance and rebooting and doing it via software upgrade won't allow it due to the unit registration number.

I have been following the discussion here and I think I will try this with my GC. I have a question about the maps, can I just reinstall the map from the GC files I saved or do I need to re-install them with Vantage point? The file looks like it is call map.dat and is in the mapdata folder.

Thanks for all the help.

lonepinemax

lonepinemax, just save the map from the 2.15 version of the GC to your hard drive and then copy it directly into the same MAP directory into the hacked 310. You don't need VantagePoint at all for this.

However, if you want to use the maps from GC 2.15 into VantagePoint, the software will first verify the map to your unit before uploading it from your unit to VP. So just as a safeguard, transfer your map from the 2.15 to VP before doing the conversion.

Just make sure you SAVE EVERYTHING from your GC to your hard drive before doing the conversion in case something goes wrong.

So I have been fiddling around a bit since I did the hack. I have some maps. I created one with MOBAC, Downloaded the Maps4Me maps, used the Triton basemap, etc. I'm still working on getting Nt. Geographic topo maps since topo.com has been discontinued, and Alltrails Pro just lets you download GPX files.

In doing so, i have found that I can calibrate TIF files (1:24,000 maps) downloaded from the USGS using the MapFinder at http://www.usgsquads.com/ with TritonRMP from http://www.msh-tools.com/triton.html

It looks like the USGS did some pretty recent surveys (2010 and 2013 from what I see) so the maps are pretty good. It's just pretty tedious downloading and calibrating the Quads manually.

I'm trying to figure out if there is a way to use the GeoPDF files from the actual USGS Map Store since they are already calibrated.... but in my few minutes of looking, I haven't gotten far yet.

I've considered investigating RMP format some more to try to write a PHP script to automatically read the data from the .tfw files included in the Zip files and build the RMP, but that won't happen before I go on my trip to the Adirodacks this weekend.

So I took my GC/310 to a GC Event this weekend. It took a bit to figure it out, but the navigation arrows for the caches were all pointing the exact opposite direction of where I wanted to go. I tried a bunch of settings in Maps, but just can't seem to get them to point the right direction.

The arrow on the GC/310 is very annoying to say the least. The compass screen is worthless because the main arrow is always pointing up, while a very small red arrow points. Magellan can't seem to grasp the idea of a simple arrow compass pointing to the cache like a Garmin. The last Magellan series to get this simple feature right was the older Explorist x00 series.

What works best for me for geocaching, on the Map screen, setting it up for course UP and not using the compass at all on top of the map. Display Distance to destination as of the one fields. The GC 2.15 offers a large arrow pointer but the hacked 310 does not.

Just a further note, this trick works in converting a GC to a 110 also. Just download the latest firmware update for the 110, use 7zip to extract the files, and follow the instructions listed above. The only thing is I can't figure how to get around the geocache limit of 500 on the 110, and I tried to edit the xml files to expand from 500 to 10000 geocaches, but the unit still only recognizes the nearest 500.

geoccheng, just tried several ways to get the GC/310 to recognize the new firmware from 1.12 to 1.57.. It is stuck on the "waiting to connect" and won't boot up in full Explorist menu. And trying to apply the update correctly comes up with a registration error just like with 1.17. Going to tinker around with some files and see if that can do it.

Edit: I think the problem is the unit.xml file... In the 1.12 version, it has this line.

<PowerStatus>AC</PowerStatus>

In the 1.57 version, it has this line

<PowerStatus>DC</PowerStatus>

However, I tried changing that xml file on the 1.57 files and it will revert back to saying DC

Edited by gpsblake

I was about to bump this to ask if anyone has tried the GC 2.15 basemap with this, then I see someone has already done it :D

I don't really care about the custom maps, but I DO care about the other features of the 310, and my GC would already be running 310 software if it wasn't for the lack of a good map that wouldn't send my unit into a tailspin of resets. I'm rather disatisified with V2.15 (I'm experiencing a bug where on 2.13 and 2.15, I can't zero in any closer to 13 ft (around 4-5m) to the cache without it stopping updating until I'm outside that sphere. I don't experience it on 1.7 or 310 1.12, but I do on the GC 2 firmwares.

Oh dear. Followed the instructions and after the final reboot I get the starting logo which then goes to "Waiting for connection to PC".

If I connect to a PC it continuously reboots.

I suspect I've bricked it. Any ideas?

The GC has a firmware emergency mode, that can be accessed by:

1) remove batteries, replace with fresh batteries

2) plug into USB while still off.

3) Press "UP", "Menu", and "Power" AT THE SAME TIME until the spin-wheel appears, then release

This will put you into a mode where you access the GC's files from your computer. From here you can restore your 1.7 backup (you did backup, didn't you?) and get your unit back to "official" firmware.

Edited by NoNameYet202

The GC has a firmware emergency mode, that can be accessed by:

1) remove batteries, replace with fresh batteries

2) plug into USB while still off.

3) Press "UP", "Menu", and "Power" AT THE SAME TIME until the spin-wheel appears, then release

This will put you into a mode where you access the GC's files from your computer. From here you can restore your 1.7 backup (you did backup, didn't you?) and get your unit back to "official" firmware.

LOL! I've done this, as well as made 'mirror images' of the content of the GC for Firmwares 1.6, 1.7, 1.8, 2.13 (which I might delete because of the bugs) and 2.15.. How, you say? It requires Linux.. the dd program, and at least 2GB of raw space to write the image file to..

dd if=/dev/sde of=gc_1.7.img

device sde, being the raw link to the GC, gc_1.7.img being the written image to the hard drive. mind you, the GC needs to be connected, but NOT MOUNTED! as a physical directory (i.e. if it's mounted as /media/compass, sudo umount /media/compass !)

Writing it back, same method, just swap the if= & of= filenames.. It took a good 7 minutes on my laptop running ubuntu 12.04 .

BUT.... you need it in the raw access method mentioned above. navigate over to File at the top, pull-down, and select FlashRAM, it places it in unprotected mode.

If all else fails, it's always good to have a back-up!

LOL! I've done this, as well as made 'mirror images' of the content of the GC for Firmwares 1.6, 1.7, 1.8, 2.13 (which I might delete because of the bugs) and 2.15.. How, you say? It requires Linux.. the dd program, and at least 2GB of raw space to write the image file to..

dd if=/dev/sde of=gc_1.7.img

device sde, being the raw link to the GC, gc_1.7.img being the written image to the hard drive. mind you, the GC needs to be connected, but NOT MOUNTED! as a physical directory (i.e. if it's mounted as /media/compass, sudo umount /media/compass !)

Writing it back, same method, just swap the if= & of= filenames.. It took a good 7 minutes on my laptop running ubuntu 12.04 .

BUT.... you need it in the raw access method mentioned above. navigate over to File at the top, pull-down, and select FlashRAM, it places it in unprotected mode.

If all else fails, it's always good to have a back-up!

I'm using windows and a straight copy works well enough (though the image works better). I have a friend who has a 310, and I just updated his unit to v1.58. I've also made a copy of the files from the update and what changed, and trying to update my Gc to the 1.58 310 firmware. I'll report how it works, and document what files I copied over.

I have a friend who has a 310, and I just updated his unit to v1.58. I've also made a copy of the files from the update and what changed, and trying to update my Gc to the 1.58 310 firmware. I'll report how it works, and document what files I copied over.

So i've tried to update my GC to v 1.58, but I don't think it's going to work. everytime I try to boot it up to 1.58, it immediately goes into the connecting to PC screen, without the usual "connect to pc" or "power only" prompt. Right now I'm trying to trace this down to it's source so i can have something functional on 1.58, but no luck as of yet. Anyone else have any insights?