Why Auto-Visit?

kunarion

(This topic is specifically for TB holders who are making the large numbers of Auto-Visit logs, or intend to. I'm not asking a general question to everyone about the feature. And, though people may not like a lot of auto-logs on their TB pages, no flaming the responders, please. I ask because I truly want to know).

If you carry found Travel Bugs and make logs that "automatically visit" every cache you find, please tell us about it.

There are many Trackables with pages of "took it to" logs with no photos nor info in the logs, on bugs that have been in your posession for a long time. WHY do you do that? I want to join the fun. Tell me the benefits of doing that. And tell me HOW you do that (is there a setting?).

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1

Others might like to know also.... :laughing:

No takers yet? Maybe we need to invite some multi-page loggers. Nicely. Some things I want to know are:

-- Was it a setting on your [smartphone]? Was it the default setting?

-- Why all the logs... were they deliberate... how did you decide to eventually place the TB?

I have a bahzillion more questions, but that's a start.

Others might like to know also.... :laughing:

No takers yet? Maybe we need to invite some multi-page loggers. Nicely. Some things I want to know are:

-- Was it a setting on your [smartphone]? Was it the default setting?

-- Why all the logs... were they deliberate... how did you decide to eventually place the TB?

I have a bahzillion more questions, but that's a start.

Yes, the dreaded "auto" settings on a smart phone. Some (many? most?) smart phone users don't realize just what they do when they are using those "auto" settings. I would imagine that they wish to 'visit' with their personal trackable, and I do not believe that anyone would have a problem with that, but they fail to note that each and every trackable that they have in their inventory is also getting that same log.

Is one reason why I really, really (really) dislike auto settings on most any device -- things in and out of geocaching.

An eye-opener for these cachers in another thread: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=292008&view=findpost&p=4993912

Yes, that post was a surprise. When has anyone ever posted that the auto-logs are unintentional? I keep reading about how nice it is that people are filling 10 pages of logs for us (also that lots of recipients wish that wasn't happening).

I would imagine that they wish to 'visit' with their personal trackable, and I do not believe that anyone would have a problem with that, but they fail to note that each and every trackable that they have in their inventory is also getting that same log.

That would be a bug. It needs to be fixed right now. First we've got to stop denying that there is such a setting, that it's easy to set (or even a default), and that the Spam logs are unintentional. AND we need to figure out WHICH software is causing it.

Edited by kunarion

Some questions to people doing (or who previously did) Auto-visits:

IF it were a "Smartphone" app, what's the name of one app that does Auto-Visits?

-- what is the setting? Is it enabled by default? How do you turn it off?

Do you (or is it possible to) get notifications when you POST an auto-visit?

Why did you turn it on?

Would it be useful to you if your own TB traveling with you was separate from the other auto-visits? (that is, what if your own TB could place logs on your page for mileage, but other people's TBs would NOT get auto-visits)

How did you figure out there was a problem?

I auto visited 17 TBs to 100+ different caches whilst on vacation. It wasn't intentional and we didn't realize it until after a 100+ cache power trail. The program we use on our smartphone (c:geo) has a default setting that allows all trackables in your possession to visit every cache that is logged using the c:geo program. We didn't realize it was checked at the time, and have since unchecked it to stop the auto visiting of any trackables we have.

It's simple enough to turn off - just go under settings and uncheck the box. Problem with TB auto visits solved.

I did not get any notifications when I was auto visiting TBs. I discovered this when I logged into gc.com, clicked on my profile and noticed under "recent activity" all these logs showing all these TBs visiting all these caches.

So not all auto-visits are intentional. We apologize to all those TB owners who's pages we cluttered doing the power trail.

Now if there was a way to select one or two TBs for auto visits, instead of all of them in your inventory, that would be perfect.

I love the c:geo program and use it as my mainstay for caching with my phone.

I hope this helps to understand on of the reasons for auto-visits.

I auto visited 17 TBs to 100+ different caches whilst on vacation. It wasn't intentional and we didn't realize it until after a 100+ cache power trail. The program we use on our smartphone (c:geo) has a default setting that allows all trackables in your possession to visit every cache that is logged using the c:geo program. We didn't realize it was checked at the time, and have since unchecked it to stop the auto visiting of any trackables we have.

With no notifications, how did you ever figure out that you'd made auto-visits?

Did your setting fix it? I plan to tell everyone, but will need to know that it doesn't accidentally turn back on (like after an update).

I should have known it was "c:geo". It's not endorsed by Groundspeak for good reason. You couldn't have programmed a more server-clogging, resource-draining piece of software if you tried. In this case, it acts like a virus, like an attack. Considering the history of the program, it's easy to believe this is intentional. How much have each of us paid for this "free" software -- in lost server resources, loss of features, actual real cash from members having to be used to address just c:geo problems, even the time we've spent right here in this forum! Thanks, c:geo!! <_<

I don't know if there's a simple solution, but once we see the lists of TB auto-visits (once the damage is happening), people should contact their auto-visiter and walk him through shutting it off. Then contact the c:geo software group (and be told "it's the first time we've heard about this" every time someone writes :ph34r:). Worth a shot to contact Google Market with info on what happened to you. I sure hope GS is intent on legal action, maybe that's the only way to finally clear it all up.

Edited by kunarion

I talked to hubby as he was doing all the phone logging on vacation (I used the computer at the hotel when I was able as I like to write unique logs and I'm just not good or fast enough to do that on my phone). He said he had checked the tab to have the TBs visit each cache as it was NOT a default setting when the program was downloaded. No rdoes it default to visitng all TBs to caches when the program is updated (the c:geo program on my phone was was just updated yesterday and the tab wasn't checked). Once I told him about the auto-logs, he turned off the tab and the auto-logging stopped. Too late for those TB owners who got all those notifications though. Sorry!

If there could be a setting to have a particular TB or two to visit every cache instead of all of them, it would be so much better all around.

On a side note of the c:geo bashing (yeah, that's how I read it), I don't see a reason to give GS (or any other pay for application) money to be able to look for and log caches (and use other premium benefits) just because I'm using my phone instead of my desktop/laptop. I already pay for two premium memberships (ourselves and our son's). To add another $30.00 to upload the GC.com app to all three of our phones? I'm not into being fleeced. Just my opinion.

I hope the auto-visit issue can be resolved to the satisfaction of all parties out there. I think sending out a kind notice to those who may be "auto-visiting" TBs, to just check their settings to see that they haven't turned on the auto-visit tab might go a long way in resolving this issue. They could be unaware. Hell, I didn't know my hubby turned it on on his phone!

On another note, I am the owner of a couple travelers, and they are relatively fragile.

They love to travel for miles, but not to languish in caches. These I only allow friends to take on trips and to dip in all the caches, and then to return them to me. Of course pictures are always nice additions too. So for a few of my travelers, I actually only want visit logs, with the occasional grab.

On another note, I am the owner of a couple travelers, and they are relatively fragile.

They love to travel for miles, but not to languish in caches. These I only allow friends to take on trips and to dip in all the caches, and then to return them to me. Of course pictures are always nice additions too. So for a few of my travelers, I actually only want visit logs, with the occasional grab.

I'm pretty sure the "auto-visit" issue is NOT a problem for people who gave their TBs to their friends for travel. Five hundred logs by someone you don't know, who can't seem to drop it off, and who never adds anything to the "took it to" logs, that's an issue.

For this topic, I was asking why people make a bahzillion "auto-visits" with no apparent interest in the TB they're logging (I had been told better qualified guessers than myself that the logs were all intentional, and that seemed unlikely). Turns out, it is a mistake, due to a setting that mysteriously gets turned "on" in a particular App.

This seems to be a wide-spread problem. How is the setting being turned on by so many people? We still need to hear from people who do mass auto-visits deliberately. So far, the visit setting is found to be on, as a complete surprise.

Edited by kunarion

On a side note of the c:geo bashing (yeah, that's how I read it), I don't see a reason to give GS (or any other pay for application) money to be able to look for and log caches

I've never suggested buying anything. There are several free apps. But c:geo's appeal is that it's a thumb in the eye to Groundspeak. So what we find yet another truly horrible thing that c:geo was programmed to do. Everybody loves it, NOBODY suggests fixing it when yet another "surprise" bug is detected. I'm "bashing" the app for pointing out its most cherished features? It's more like free advertising.

I was horrified to prove the source of the mass auto-visits was c:geo. I thought it was some setting on the web site itself. But now the evidence is available to all, it's out there, I can't fix it, it doesn't directly affect me anyway (except as an added cost as I said which is absolutely true). So be it. Enjoy.

Are you telling me that people don't log bugs because their app doesn't do it for them?

Even better, once you retrieve a TB, the App will log it forevermore everywhere you go automatically, with or without your knowledge, whether or not you still have the TB. The future is here. :anicute:

Edited by kunarion

I used to "dip" a lot with trackables I transported, but never automatically. I'd only dip it in caches I thought were interesting or special in some way.

After reading this forum a little, I came to realize that was unwelcome for many owners. Due to the number of variations in how TB/Coin owners want their item logged, and as annoyed as it makes them when it's done incorrectly I don't generally transport trackables any more. If the trackable includes a mission tag, I'm more likely to take it if the mission is compatible with how I cache.

Lately, I have been only "discovering" trackables, sometimes taking a picture of them with the surroundings in the background. I don't think that would anger owners (I would think it would be a nice confirmation that their trackable is still alive), but if that turns out to be incorrect I'll just ignore them completely.

Discovering and photos are great. No, what you are doing IS NOT incorrect.

Moving them is better, but if you are uncomfortable with that, your solution seems to be the best answer!

The big question this thread trying to address is the "auto-visit" option that some (phone) apps have, not the occasional dip or visit.

EDIT: Sorry, copied and posting as the "never mind" edit was being done. :o

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

I used to "dip" a lot with trackables I transported, but never automatically. I'd only dip it in caches I thought were interesting or special in some way.

After reading this forum a little, I came to realize that was unwelcome for many owners. Due to the number of variations in how TB/Coin owners want their item logged, and as annoyed as it makes them when it's done incorrectly I don't generally transport trackables any more.

It wouldn't bother me at all if someone who has my TB in hand visits it in many caches, especially if there are photos and logs for the visits. I'd prefer that people not keep my TB in hand for months, but if they are moving it, it is traveling, that's the objective. If it some day gets dropped off (the cachers didn't decide now to keep it), all is well. When I've done a "visit", it's been to a couple special places, on my way to dropping it off. But I wouldn't mind if someone brought mine to five hundred caches before dropping it.

The problem for most people, both TB holders and TB Owners, is caused by a misbehaving App (I discovered that after starting this topic). Five hundred surprise "took it to" logs with no photos, no log, just pages and pages of robo-spam-auto-visits, that's no fun. It may well be that the TB is long gone, yet the auto-visits continue.

Edited by kunarion

(This topic is specifically for TB holders who are making the large numbers of Auto-Visit logs, or intend to. I'm not asking a general question to everyone about the feature. And, though people may not like a lot of auto-logs on their TB pages, no flaming the responders, please. I ask because I truly want to know).

If you carry found Travel Bugs and make logs that "automatically visit" every cache you find, please tell us about it.

There are many Trackables with pages of "took it to" logs with no photos nor info in the logs, on bugs that have been in your posession for a long time. WHY do you do that? I want to join the fun. Tell me the benefits of doing that. And tell me HOW you do that (is there a setting?).

upside: you know your bug/coin is still alive.

downside: its logs get polluted with all these took it to logs.

upside: you know your bug/coin is still alive.

Due to it being auto-logged, the bug/coin may have been lost long ago, so the Trackable Holder can't do a "drop". The Auto-Visits will then continue until some intervention (hundreds of logs later?). There's no way to know if the Trackable Holder even realizes the Auto-Visits are happening. So you NEVER know if it's still alive.

I still can't find an "upside" to the Auto-Visits. So many people do that, and all three people who've said they do that, turned the Auto-Visit "on" manually. Others have also speculated that it was intentional (I did not believe that at first). Thus far, they all do it intentionally (perhaps being surprised later that the TOs kinda don't like bahzillions of non-logged logs).

So, the question remains:

"If you're a cacher who makes hundreds of exclusively robotic "took it to" logs, please tell us why."

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1

It's not an auto setting with my iPhone 4 and the official app.

I geocache finding caches: log the cache in the field. I'm in micro hell where I live so I can go for months before finding a place to drop a bug.

I have a bag with all bugs in my possession in it with me at all times.

Once I get home I go to my log edit it; choose a setting at bottom of page that says visit all. And save the log update. That way mileage for trackables is always correct.

Once I get home I go to my log edit it; choose a setting at bottom of page that says visit all. And save the log update. That way mileage for trackables is always correct.

That would sure make it tough to have anything but a bunch of "took it to" logs. With the Offical App, maybe it would be good to have a [Feature] where you could take a picture at any cache, and that get's Auto-Posted into the appropriate log on the TB's page. (OK I'm already talking myself out of that [Feature], but it could be something like that, and the suggestion to port the cache log isn't half bad.)

Edited by kunarion

I don´t get it.

If I have a TB in my possesion and I take it with me when caching, shouldn't I log a visit when I visit a cache? If someone took one of my TBs and did NOT log visits it would annoy me since the distance travelled would be wrong.

I can see the problem of auto-visit when a cacher does not have the TB in his or her possesion anymore but that is not a bug in c:geo or a problem with the TB tracking system, thats a bug in the cacher who doesn´t know how to use the app.

So, as I have already said: I don´t get it. What is the problem with logging a lot of visits on a TB?

I don´t get it. What is the problem with logging a lot of visits on a TB?

(In reference to posting many pages of nothing but robotic "took it to" logs, for TBs that have been held for weeks or months, which is what this topic is about):

A TB Owner can't tell whether the TB is in your posession or if you don't know how to use the App.

Get it?

Edited by kunarion

I have to admit the whole thing really doesn't concern me too much. There are worse things.

But we've yet to hear all the cool reasons why it happens, except the suggestion that we know for absolute certainty that the TB is still alive. But I could find that out with one single log. Drop the TB into a cache and the next log tells me it's alive. Done. If you accidentally have "auto-visit" turned on, it's automatic, so I'm only tracking YOU. But if you place it into a cache, I can track the TB itself.

It's like this. I send my son to Summer camp. On the way, you pick him up and take him to Hawaii. And Japan. Then to Europe. For six months. He stays in a box, no photos, no postcards. But the box goes to hundreds of great vacation spots.

You have a huge smile on your face, knowing how much I'll LOVE seeing my son do all this great travel. After all the hard work you put into it, you expect I'm thrilled. To your great shock, I'm spinning on my head and spitting wooden nickels.

After the vacation, each of my friends have a different nutty reaction:

Well, the idea was for him to travel, right?!

At least you know he's still alive!

Ha-ha! If you don't like it, why don't you adopt him to me!

Everyone's missing the point. Sure, it's GREAT to travel. I might even enjoy you taking my son on a world tour. So, you may ask, Then what's the problem!. The problem is, there was no communication, either before or during the travel. You waited til afterward to surprise me. Okay, I'm surprised. I'm also evidently NOT allowed any say in the matter, unless I'm saying how wonderful it is.

That's what this very topic is for:

Why all the travel with zero logs or photos [except robot logs], and you keep my TB?

Why not AT LEAST start the auto-visits with a PM and a log like I'm gonna take your TB on a long trip with many stops for the next 6 months! It's like you're doing me a great favor, and the benefit to me is 200 took it to logs while you keep my TB indefinitely, and I cannot figure out what your motive is, because you're dead silent. There's GOT to be more in it for me if it's a great favor, right? There's got to be something in it for you to go out of your way to do this. So the question remains: WHY auto-visit?

Edited by kunarion
  • Love 1

With no notifications, how did you ever figure out that you'd made auto-visits?

Did your setting fix it? I plan to tell everyone, but will need to know that it doesn't accidentally turn back on (like after an update).

I should have known it was "c:geo". It's not endorsed by Groundspeak for good reason. You couldn't have programmed a more server-clogging, resource-draining piece of software if you tried. In this case, it acts like a virus, like an attack. Considering the history of the program, it's easy to believe this is intentional. How much have each of us paid for this "free" software -- in lost server resources, loss of features, actual real cash from members having to be used to address just c:geo problems, even the time we've spent right here in this forum! Thanks, c:geo!! <_<

I don't know if there's a simple solution, but once we see the lists of TB auto-visits (once the damage is happening), people should contact their auto-visiter and walk him through shutting it off. Then contact the c:geo software group (and be told "it's the first time we've heard about this" every time someone writes :ph34r:). Worth a shot to contact Google Market with info on what happened to you. I sure hope GS is intent on legal action, maybe that's the only way to finally clear it all up.

The REAL Reason that c:geo isn't endorsed by Groundspeak is that THEY didn't make it. From what I understand, server resources from Groundspeak's program use more resources. Someone else will have to figure up the stats though.

The reason that I don't use Groundspeak's program is very simple. Why PAY More for something that I'm already paying for. I already pay for the Premium membership. Why pay for an app that from everything that I've heard is Less useable than a program that I've been using different versions for the last 7 Years. I started using c:geo when it was on the Palm Pilot. From there it was improved with use on the Blackberry platform. Now that its on the Android, I love the fact that it works so well. To keep the server load down, I keep the entire WY database on it.

Back on topic:

I DO auto visit all the TBs that I have in my inventory to each cache. Reason for this is that they DO gain miles for each cache they visit. Also, I find it nice that I don't have to Drop and pick back up every TB at every cache I visit...

The Steaks

Back on topic:

I DO auto visit all the TBs that I have in my inventory to each cache. Reason for this is that they DO gain miles for each cache they visit. Also, I find it nice that I don't have to Drop and pick back up every TB at every cache I visit...

The Steaks

I understand that it's convenient for the holder to do. There's something missing. You get back from a trip, I ask "where did you go?" and you say "a couple thousand miles!"

There must be more to the auto-logs than just the convenience of visits. Why keep a TB for months? Why zero photos or info, just 15 pages of "took it to" logs? If you're doing it to add "miles", why zero communication, no photos, nothing? Why NOT add ANYTHING, ever, photo at the cache or something? There's this enthusiasm for logging Travel Bugs with this complete apathy for logging Travel Bugs. That's the topic.

Edited by kunarion

The REAL Reason that c:geo isn't endorsed by Groundspeak is that THEY didn't make it.

Mind giving a source for that statement? I don't pretend to have the whole back story on c:geo, but I think there's more to it than Groundspeak just having sour grapes.

The reason that I don't use Groundspeak's program is very simple. Why PAY More for something that I'm already paying for. I already pay for the Premium membership. Why pay for an app that from everything that I've heard is Less useable than a program that I've been using different versions for the last 7 Years.

Sounds like the reasoning for getting new movies via bootleg torrents versus buying the DVD or watching it on a licensed streaming service. Especially since you did't even try a trial version to see if it actually didn't work for you. But I digress.

Back on topic: I hadn't really seen the auto visit issue up close and personal until recently, when I saw it on one of our TBs. I'm with kunarion on this one: it's annoying. Not keep me up at night annoying, not even bug me for more than a few seconds annoying. But still annoying. Especially when it goes on for weeks or months at a time and involves hundreds of stops.

I am glad that the system doesn't generate an email with every TB visit, because it would move from a passing annoyance to a real problem, real fast.

I am glad that the system doesn't generate an email with every TB visit, because it would move from a passing annoyance to a real problem, real fast.

What about one notice after fifty visits? I try to keep an eye on my TB travels, but if I suddenly find 15 pages of auto-visits, I'd feel remiss to not go torture the person slowly ...uh, to profusely THANK the person for all the mileage! :anicute: One other idea, what about TB milestones? You can see numbers on the map, and maybe more stats are worthwhile. Enable milestone notifications, "Your TB has been to 500 caches!", and now there's something to see among the auto-visits.

I still feel like I'm not doing it right. I've been picking up a TB, moving it to another cache and dropping it off within a week or so, and editing each log, and adding photos. What was I thinking!

Edited by kunarion

Kunarion-

Perfect scenario. Here's another true life scenario.

Trackable mission: To get to either Alaska or Hawaii in a race with another trackable.

In July, a cacher picks it up and carries it around for 9 months logging 13 pages of "took it to" logs that have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the mission of the trackable.

A note is sent asking him to please release it. The reply is that he's logged over 3000 miles on the trackable and still has more to log.

Kidnapped for 9 months and no progress made on the mission. Drives me nuts!!!

• Love 1

Kunarion-

Perfect scenario. Here's another true life scenario.

Trackable mission: To get to either Alaska or Hawaii in a race with another trackable.

In July, a cacher picks it up and carries it around for 9 months logging 13 pages of "took it to" logs that have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the mission of the trackable.

A note is sent asking him to please release it. The reply is that he's logged over 3000 miles on the trackable and still has more to log.

Kidnapped for 9 months and no progress made on the mission. Drives me nuts!!!

Milk-a-WHAAAT ?! :blink:

Wow. So this whole issue is truly more involved than just fixing a drop-down menu. Some people like to take Trackables and move them all over the place (for, say, nine months). I don't often see moderation around here, lots of extremes. It may be partly due to people being "Geocachers" only because they heard the part about "No Rules". If some of us knew "No Rules" meant "Enjoy running roughshod over everyone else", we might not have placed the Trackables. Nor Swag... nor caches... (though I do suppose that many these flagrant abuses are due to Geocides in the process of imploding -- it even seems to create a cycle).

Since my trackables have only ever so slightly resembled their (rather simple) missions anyway, all I look for is which ones have probably left this Earth, ready to be replaced. But it makes ya wonder, don't it? Just... "Wow".

Edited by kunarion

I have to admit the whole thing really doesn't concern me too much. There are worse things.

But we've yet to hear all the cool reasons why it happens, except the suggestion that we know for absolute certainty that the TB is still alive. But I could find that out with one single log. Drop the TB into a cache and the next log tells me it's alive. Done. If you accidentally have "auto-visit" turned on, it's automatic, so I'm only tracking YOU. But if you place it into a cache, I can track the TB itself.

It's like this. I send my son to Summer camp. On the way, you pick him up and take him to Hawaii. And Japan. Then to Europe. For six months. He stays in a box, no photos, no postcards. But the box goes to hundreds of great vacation spots.

You have a huge smile on your face, knowing how much I'll LOVE seeing my son do all this great travel. After all the hard work you put into it, you expect I'm thrilled. To your great shock, I'm spinning on my head and spitting wooden nickels.

After the vacation, each of my friends have a different nutty reaction:

“Well, the idea was for him to travel, right?!”

“At least you know he's still alive!”

“Ha-ha! If you don't like it, why don't you adopt him to me!”

Everyone's missing the point. Sure, it's GREAT to travel. I might even enjoy you taking my son on a world tour. So, you may ask, “Then what's the problem!”. The problem is, there was no communication, either before or during the travel. You waited til afterward to “surprise” me. Okay, I'm surprised. I'm also evidently NOT allowed any say in the matter, unless I'm saying how wonderful it is.

That's what this very topic is for:

“Why all the travel with zero logs or photos [except robot logs], and you keep my TB?”

Why not AT LEAST start the auto-visits with a PM and a log like “I'm gonna take your TB on a long trip with many stops for the next 6 months”! It's like you're doing me a great favor, and the benefit to me is 200 “took it to” logs while you keep my TB indefinitely, and I cannot figure out what your motive is, because you're dead silent. There's GOT to be more in it for me if it's a great favor, right? There's got to be something in it for you to go out of your way to do this. So the question remains: “WHY auto-visit?”

While I completely disagree with both the Visit and Discover option for travel bug it is still permitted. I can't fault people for using the options. I am not going to try to control this simply on personal opinion. I have other battles.

Sorry. I didn't mean to take the steam out of your sails there but maybe we can discuss why it is a real problem rather then just an annoyance. As far as I'm concerned Discover and Visit were created for Events. If we can set down why it shouldn't be an option for caching we might be able to make a case for change.

Sorry. I didn't mean to take the steam out of your sails there but maybe we can discuss why it is a real problem rather then just an annoyance.

NP, but this topic isn't about solving problems. It's a specific question, which has not been answered. Except for the declaration "Visit Good!", which doesn't answer the question.

NP, but this topic isn't about solving problems..

hmmm.

Okay, there is a problem, but it makes no sense. The people causing the problem are doing contradictory things. That's why I asked, so that I could embrace the idea. I stated the question in the OP, two different ways, so the question would be clear. Maybe people could provide an answer that makes sense out of the practice. Thus far, nobody can.

NP, but this topic isn't about solving problems..

hmmm.

Okay, there is a problem, but it makes no sense. The people causing the problem are doing contradictory things. That's why I asked, so that I could embrace the idea. I stated the question in the OP, two different ways, so the question would be clear. Maybe people could provide an answer that makes sense out of the practice. Thus far, nobody can.

I hear ya, but I really don't think you are going to get a decent answer other than they can. This is the mentality "It's an option that doesn't require any effort on my part but it will show all the caches I logged while I carried it.'

Honestly, why wouldn't people use it. There's nothing outside of "move my bug" that would suggest anything different.

Edited by BlueDeuce

From someone who started caching recently, I can tell you, when I found my first trackable (and second, and third) I looked it up and saw that it had pages and pages and pages of "visited" logs from several people who'd been carrying it around. So this seemed like the thing to do, and I did "visit" several caches with some TBs. But I also started reading these forums and seeing how annoyed some people get with that. My new personal policy is to "visit" if I find a really neat cache and will post pictures with the log, or if I can rack up some serious miles in one trip, OR if I haven't found a good place to drop it off and want to let the owner know I still have it. Anyway, my point is that if a lot of people log visits, or a particular TB has lots of those logs, other cachers probably pick up on the habit and do the same. I dunno, I check the past inventory on caches a lot, and follow links out of curiosity--it seems like in my area, at least, this is something that a LOT of people do.

In the end, though, I'd rather get 500 "visited" logs than have it disappear completely.

Yesterday we hit a cache that hadn't been found since last October. Grabbed a gc that was in it. Then had to grab it from the person whose hands it was in. He emailed us immediately. "where did you find it?"

He had been to Alberta last fall; left it in the cache; forgot he left it there. Thought it was somewhere in his GC bag.

He replied that the cache he had left it in was it's 50th. But he had visited it to 330 more caches in Nova Scotia; when it was in Alberta.

I don't know if he caches with a phone or a gps; but I thought of this thread when I received his email.

He had been to Alberta last fall; left it in the cache; forgot he left it there. Thought it was somewhere in his GC bag.

He replied that the cache he had left it in was it's 50th. But he had visited it to 330 more caches in Nova Scotia; when it was in Alberta.

Yep. That's exactly what I mean when I say a list of a buhzillion visits may be an issue, after which people arrive in this topic to insist "With all those visits, at least you know for certain there's no issue!". :rolleyes:

So the answer to "Why Auto-Visit (making pages of took-it-to logs, no photos, no nuthin', while holding the TB forever)?" seems to lean towards one of two answers:

1) "It was a huge mistake, oops."

2) "It's super convenient to do, hey at least you know for certain there's no issue."

For some reason, neither answer makes me want to run out and try it myself. :anicute:

Edited by kunarion

Hi there. I visit TB's because I think its a nice thing to do. Kind of let the owner know its still logging km's. On my iphone I have to indiviually visit each bug so maybe I won't worry about it. I imagine it would be a bit annoying to the owner. I will keep that in mind in future.

Hi there. I visit TB's because I think its a nice thing to do. Kind of let the owner know its still logging km's. On my iphone I have to indiviually visit each bug so maybe I won't worry about it. I imagine it would be a bit annoying to the owner. I will keep that in mind in future.

Do you keep the TBs for months while making zero entries in the logs (except blank "took it to"), no photos, no contact with the TB Owner?. That's what this topic is asking, NOT just "why visit", but why hold the TB forever, no communication, yet make tons of robotic "visits". And there's a side question about how can people tell if 15 pages of Auto-Visits were automatic and/or a glitch, or how can TB Owners know if you actually do still have the TB (refer to the story in post #43 above where a cacher made hundreds of "visit" logs after dropping a TB off, so it was still logging km's while not even being near those hundreds of caches) -- or how many auto-visits is enough -- or will you place my TB into a cache ASAP if asked to (refer to the story in post #34, where a TB has been held and moved non-mission for 9 months, and the holder told the TO that there's more to go before it's dropped off).

As I mentioned earlier, a buhzillion photos of the TB at a buhzillion caches is probably NOT a problem regardless if it's done by only one person or by a buhzillion. But even then, I'd ask why carry some stranger's TB around with you, when you've held it for a very long time? That's simultaneously a "nice thing" and an "obnoxious thing", and that just doesn't make sense. You pick up a TB, you drop it into a cache real soon, which makes a couple of visits, maybe on the high end a half-dozen, and that's nice.

So, to recap the Topic yet again,

"Why the pages and pages of Visits with:

1) No communication, no actual human log AND

2) No photos AND

3) When you've held a TB for a long time."

If the above doesn't apply, that means I'm not asking "why visit", and I'm NOT trying to make people stop doing visits. This is specifically about the 15-page-style Auto-visit issue, asking what's up with that.

Edited by kunarion

Do you keep the TBs for months while making zero entries in the logs (except blank "took it to"), no photos, no contact with the TB Owner?. That's what this topic is asking, NOT just "why visit", but why hold the TB forever, no communication, yet make tons of robotic "visits". And there's a side question about how can people tell if 15 pages of Auto-Visits were automatic and/or a glitch, or how can TB Owners know if you actually do still have the TB (refer to the story in post #43 above where a cacher made hundreds of "visit" logs after dropping a TB off, so it was still logging km's while not even being near those hundreds of caches) -- or how many auto-visits is enough -- or will you place my TB into a cache ASAP if asked to (refer to the story in post #34, where a TB has been held and moved non-mission for 9 months, and the holder told the TO that there's more to go before it's dropped off).

As I mentioned earlier, a buhzillion photos of the TB at a buhzillion caches is probably NOT a problem regardless if it's done by only one person or by a buhzillion. But even then, I'd ask why carry some stranger's TB around with you, when you've held it for a very long time? That's simultaneously a "nice thing" and an "obnoxious thing", and that just doesn't make sense. You pick up a TB, you drop it into a cache real soon, which makes a couple of visits, maybe on the high end a half-dozen, and that's nice.

So, to recap the Topic yet again,

"Why the pages and pages of Visits with:

1) No communication, no actual human log AND

2) No photos AND

3) When you've held a TB for a long time."

Actually you could make the argument (which was made already) that if the city has only Micros, you would have to carry the TB around for a long time. I'd simply make the point that if you absolutely cannot place the TB, you still can at least make a human log or two, or contact the TO, or add a photo, or ANYTHING during those months. Or don't pick up the TB. Or put it back where you found it. There are nice options.

If the above doesn't apply, that means I'm not asking "why visit", and I'm NOT trying to make people stop doing visits. This is specifically about the 15-page-style Auto-visit issue, asking what's up with that.

For a specific question that's a heck of a dump on someone who was willing to respond.

I'm trying to state the question that the answer should address. If that seems too abrasive, I apologize.

There are several responders that say they plan to not do "visits" as much, due to this topic. They didn't say why folks make 15 pages of Auto-Visits, just that they themelves won't do visits, and that's not good. If they're talked out of doing visits, they completely missed the OP. People are answering a different Topic (despite how specific I thought it was), which I guess is how Interweb forums work, but it leaves the not/nice paradox unanswered. Is this topic a very fine point?

The topic is an honest question (maybe answered around the edges), and does not apply to people who move a Trackable, do some visits and drop it off, because that's a nice thing, which we don't want to talk people out of doing -- it's a question about how someone can be nice (making visits for mileage, as a favor to the TO) and simultaneously NOT nice (by the ignoring the mission, not adding anything to the logs, keeping the TB for a very long time, and making 15 pages of visits). That doesn't make sense. So I asked.

I'm guessing that those that the question applies to, would not have an answer. The responders don't do the practice, and they probably can't make sense of true Auto-Visits either. So there probably is no answer.

Anyway, don't avoid making TB visits. Do that in a thoughtful, balanced way that assures the TO that everything's fine.

Edited by kunarion

Reading the thread, I thought posts #4 and 5 may have answered the question. Is the auto dip feature included in a smart phone app? Is it the default setting? If so, then many people don't even realize they are dragging TBs around and auto logging them into every cache they find.

Any one with a smart phone that can confirm or refute this?

The other question, as to why people keep TBs for so long, may never be answered. Even with the wealth of information on this site about how to properly log a TB, people either don't know or don't care to learn.