Is there a basic paperless GPS?

iH8vols

I bought my 70 year old dad a garmin 60cs. This is too difficult for him to handle on his own. I thought it was pretty basic, but he just can't get it. Anytime he goes out caching without me I get a phone call because he's hit some button by accident.

Another difficulty with this is, there is no way he could handle the 60cs and a pda. To get around that, I download 10-15 caches. Tell him the general location (ie. Go to local mall). Then I print out the description and relevant info for him in a word document. This is EXTREMELY time consuming for me.

Is there a VERY BASIC gps that has paperless caching functionality? I'm thinking a kids gps that can hold 50 caches and the details to it. Doesn't need any fancy maps, or odometers, and all that stuff.

I'd appreciate your help!

A 60CS is a pretty old GPSr. They came out with the 60CSX (vast improvement) in 2006.

Not a cacher myself, but I'm pretty sure you can simplify (hide) the menus on the Oregons and Dakotas. On my OR keystrokes are Setup|Main Menu. Then there's a trashcan button to delete other buttons. ORs and DKs support paperless caching.

You should probably visit a dealer with your dad to see if you can get the menus arranged in a manner he's comfortable with. The ORs and DKs are full featured units, so they'll need significant customization to suit your "basic" definition.

Edited by seldom_sn

Im thinking the etrex 10/20/30 would be the most basic with paperless features. If you need a step down from that in terms of simplicity you might be looking at something like the Geomate Jr. which is designed for kids but would work well for older people just as well....you would loose the paperless features with this option though.

Explorist GC and 310 have very small fonts, thus making it much harder to look at the machine.

Etrex 10 is what I would recommend, large letters, large numbers......

The Etrex 10 is Grey screen, and I have not used it, but comparing color units:

The fonts are larger on my Etrex 20, but the contrast and screen resolution is better on my Explorist GC and 110, so they are easier to read.

Back to the original post, the issue is ease of use. They all require spending some time learning how to use it.