Geocaching in an airplane

If I log a DNF I don't get a souvenir, I believe. Or do I? Never tried, actually. If I don't, then Groundspeak doesn't consider a DNF to be geocaching.

If you log a DNF then there had to be an opportunity to log a Find, and if there was an opportunity to log a find then you were geocaching. Otherwise, you are posting false logs. There was a topic a while ago from a person who received a message from Groundspeak asking her to stop posting false DNFs after she had posted DNFs on caches as a fictional character who never attended the cache sites

So no one likes my idea of taking a light aircraft from strip to strip in the boonies to place/grab caches that way?? I think it would be a great idea.

I think a helicopter would be more ideal for that.

Edited by Ambient_Skater
If I log a DNF I don't get a souvenir, I believe. Or do I? Never tried, actually. If I don't, then Groundspeak doesn't consider a DNF to be geocaching.

If you log a DNF then there had to be an opportunity to log a Find, and if there was an opportunity to log a find then you were geocaching. Otherwise, you are posting false logs. There was a topic a while ago from a person who received a message from Groundspeak asking her to stop posting false DNFs after she had posted DNFs on caches as a fictional character who never attended the cache sites

I agree with you. If I am actually there, looking for the cache but not finding it, I considered myself to have gone geocaching, souvenir or not.

I was joking about Groundspeak's DNF != geocaching, in response to your joke about logging DNFs from a plane = geocaching. But you know that, right? :)

Back in the late 90s I had a "II Morrow" aviation GPS that cost me around $1200. Cutting edge at the time and made VOR/NDB navigation seem hard. It had Jeppesen aviation maps built in. It was really cool to use it during flight. Back then the pilots would give me the flight plan and I'd plug it in and watch our progress.

What was really cool was when I took it on a Concorde flight. It flaked out at around 900kt and 50,000'. I wonder what a car GPS would do if you could put it on a Concorde today.

Edited by Clayshooter

Saw this interesting video on www.wimp.com I'm trying this on my next flight.

http://www.wimp.com/gpsairplane/

Thanks! I got a chuckle out of that. I'll be flying to AZ in June and you bet I'll get my nuvi out and have some laughs. 394mph....heheheheee.... :lol:

That's relatively slow for a commercial airline. On international flights I often watch the "Flight Info" channel on the seat back TV (when it's available). I've seen it go over 600mph quite a few times. I'll be flying about a week from today for a vacation in Tybee Island, Georgia. I used to use a free program from Garmin called nRoute that would let you plug a GPS into a laptop, that essentially could replacing the map screen on a GPS. I didn't have a copy on my current laptop so am downloading a copy now. If the airline allows it I'll see if I can get a screencast during my flight. I don't have any other *definite* travel plans but there's a slim chance that I might go back to Tanzania in June (and the best itinerary can find would require a short layover in Cairo, Egypt) and less slim chance of going to Malaysia in September (with a layover in Singapore).

What was really cool was when I took it on a Concorde flight. It flaked out at around 900kt and 50,000'. I wonder what a car GPS would do if you could put it on a Concorde today.

Today, on a Concorde, your car GPS will tell you the location of the museum you're in :)

Civilian restriction on GPS units are below 60k ft altitude and 1000 knots speed. Concorde has a top speed of over 1000 knots. Wonder if that would cause the unit to stop functioning - it's never clear how GPS chipsets choose to interpret the restrictions - is it either condition, or must both conditions be true for the unit to stop functioning. The older car units probably cannot repaint the screen fast enough as well even at sub-1000 knot speeds.

How 'bout a multi, where the coordinates for the final are spelled out on the ground in letters so huge they can only be seen from the air. If you're standing at GZ, you see nothing.

I did a puzzle cache one that listed a bunch of lat/long coordinates. Looking at the locations in google maps satellite view revealed that they matched up with a bunch of different airport runway numbers. Although I think most commercial flights follow a fairly consistent flight path, the weather and other factors can change it quite a bit so a cache which relied on a plane flying over a specific location would not work that well.